TV Theme Songs

dtk

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
somewhere in my collection of 45s is the SWAT them

This is one of my modern day (ok not so modern) faves...might not have real drum though....I think

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
Whomever is playing in this is really letting it rip.

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I heard the WKRP theme the other day and never really took the time to appreciate what a fantastic drum groove it had.
How about the outro theme? Did you notice that he's not singing any actual words?
The closing theme, "WKRP In Cincinnati End Credits", was a hard rock number composed and performed by Jim Ellis, an Atlanta musician who recorded some of the incidental music for the show. According to people who attended the recording sessions, Ellis didn't yet have lyrics for the closing theme, so he sang nonsense words to give an idea of how it would sound. Wilson decided to use the words anyway, since he felt that it would be funny to use lyrics that were deliberately gibberish, as a satire on the incomprehensibility of many rock songs. Also, because CBS always had an announcer talking over the closing credits, Wilson knew that no one would actually hear the closing theme lyrics anyway.

Cactus Bob

Reaction score
Really dug the George of the Jungle theme song, the timpani drums in the beginning are awesome. Loved watching that cartoon in '67.

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was playing theses trying to stump my wife, but out of the ones I played she only missed CHiPs. This has lead to a hour or so of us going through YouTube playing various guess the movie/tv show with us and my daughter. Thanks guys.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wild Wild West - brush solos - Joe Porcaro!!
I remember in the past, your personal insights on recording for TV were rather eye opening, Dave.
Setting up an e-kit with sound effects to work as a sort of "Foley Machine" (sorry, my term), and the music would be written so as to synch the effects with the action in the footage you were sound tracking.
Very cool stuff.
...and hey, speaking of brush solos, would you happen to know who the drummer was for The Avengers theme?

...I'm referring to this one...

Pretty hefty Brush and Bongo work there.

Elvis