TV Theme Songs

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know who the drummer was on this one, buy it occurred to me the other day that this has to be one of the SLAMMIN-EST snare drum track ever recorded (you can really pick up the punch of that snare in the closing theme)...

Last edited:

Johnny Blonde

Reaction score
CHEERS! Just sitting there listening to that perfect combination of notes that nails the mood the tune is going for is so satisfying. That hi-hat/cross stick combo is heaven.

Slingwig26

Reaction score
cool thread.

the 70s hits like Bob Newhart Show & Mary Tyler Moore Show had that 70s drum sound, single-headed toms, dead snare, cross-stick, a fair amount of "dum-dum-dum-da-dum" descending tom fills. Great shows.

CONCERT TOM HEAVEN!

langmick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Paul Leim posted on FB that he played on this theme. Sounds like live hats and maybe snare, not sure about the rest.

David M Scott

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard the WKRP theme the other day and never really took the time to appreciate what a fantastic drum groove it had. It got me thinking about some of my other favorites from the 80's - Night Court and Barney Miller (which we played in high school stage band).

Not only were those shows of great humour but the theme music so special and identifiable. And your so right.. super drum tracks.
I know a lot of the humour would be considered inappropriate in that they tended to pigeon hole a certain racial, social economic or intelligence level but they still brought many laughs. Those music themes set me up and smiling for the show just hearing them. I don't know the commercial arrangers or composers so were any of the three famous outside of TV ?

fpatton

Reaction score
cool thread.

the 70s hits like Bob Newhart Show & Mary Tyler Moore Show had that 70s drum sound, single-headed toms, dead snare, cross-stick, a fair amount of "dum-dum-dum-da-dum" descending tom fills. Great shows.

We played the Bob Newhart theme in high school big band. I always loved playing that one!

ccdrums

Reaction score
Surprised nobody mentioned Hal Blaine. We just lost him not long ago. He was amazing in that he played any style the music called for. That's why he was EVERYWHERE. Prob on many of the themes mentioned here. Google him.
CC

Last edited:

m.clover

Reaction score
Surprised nobody mentioned Hal Blain. We just lost him not long ago. He was amazing in that he played any style the music called for. That's why he was EVERYWHERE. Prob on many of the themes mentioned here. Google him.
CC

If I'm not mistaken, that's him on "Batman".

ccdrums

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, that's him on "Batman".
I think your right. Hawaii 50 too. I read somewhere that so many young drummers in the 60's-70's (including me!) thought they were stealing licks from all these different drummers but it was just Hal Blain on all those records and themes. You could go into any studio in the Hollywood area and see his name on the wall. I was amazed to see what he was on. What a special time and place!