TV Theme Songs

dcrigger

DFO Star
Reaction score
I think your right. Hawaii 50 too. I read somewhere that so many young drummers in the 60's-70's (including me!) thought they were stealing licks from all these different drummers but it was just Hal Blain on all those records and themes. You could go into any studio in the Hollywood area and see his name on the wall. I was amazed to see what he was on. What a special time and place!
Yes, but always remember Hal Blaine was more of record guy (usually thought to be the higher level status industry-wise) than a TV guy - though he did do all sorts of work.

For instance, the Batman theme - he's widely been credited with playing on that and I've never really seen it disputed.

The original, broadcast version of the Hawaii 5-0 theme though... that would not be Hal, but rather John Guerin.

In fact I just saw this posted on Facebook by someone going by "WreckingCrewFilms" -

<<<
On this date May 3, 1968 the tracks for "Hawaii 5-0" were recorded at Western Recorders, The theme song was written by Morton Stevens, arranged by George Tipton, and produced by Dave Pell.
Although credited to The Ventures, the original theme was recorded by members of The Wrecking Crew and others. Among those playing on the track were:
John Guerin-drums
Ray Pohlman-bass
Jim Horn-sax
Tom Scott-sax
Gene Estes-percussion (tympani)
Tommy Tedesco-lead guitar ( recorded at a separate session on August 8, 1968) >>>>

KevinD

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this show was syndicated in other markets but in the NYC market around the time that Benny Hill was quite popular, WOR, ch9 started running Irish comedian Dave Allen's show ( Dave Allen at Large).
Very catchy theme song by Alan Hawkshaw, always liked that one.

Last edited:

StatesboroBlue

Reaction score
Yes, H
Ah yes... Back in the days when TV shows had actual theme songs written by actual music composers. And fantastic music throughout shows like Mannix, Mission Impossible, Hawaii Five-0, The Rockford Files, etc with drummers like John Guerin, Steve Schaeffer, Joe Porcaro...
awaii 5-O is awesome.
Also Angela as Theme from Taxi by Bob James with Gadd--I believe. Never watched the show but had Touchdown. Hogan's Heroes. All those PI shows from the 70s had cool drums in them. Shelly Manne did a lot of TV work back in the '70s, and I always wondered what he might have played on. Need to research that some day.

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
Not sure if this show was syndicated in other markets but in the NYC market around the time that Benny Hill was quite popular, WOR, ch9 started running Irish comedian Dave Allen's show ( Dave Allen at Large).
Very catchy theme song by Alan Hawkshaw, always liked that one.
Would not have remembered the theme, but my gosh that was a funny show. Saw it in Michigan on our PBS station (I think?) back then, and I've fondly recalled the show (and Dave) since then.
Nice to see someone else remembering him too!

You just gave me something to search on youtube tonight. Thanks.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Would not have remembered the theme, but my gosh that was a funny show. Saw it in Michigan on our PBS station (I think?) back then, and I've fondly recalled the show (and Dave) since then.
Nice to see someone else remembering him too!

You just gave me something to search on youtube tonight. Thanks.
Same out west here, too.
Up here, being so close to the (Canadian) border, we had a tv station out of Bellingham that would broadcast some Canadian and some American stuff.
Walter Cronkite would come on at 6 pm, but they would show Dave Allen, Benny Hill, On The Buses, Doctor in the House and a host of other programs, in the evenings.
When Dr. Who came to the states, we would all stay up late on the weekends to watch the show.
In these days of Cable and internet TV, the individuality of a lot of stations has been lost.

Elvis

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Same out west here, too.
Up here, being so close to the (Canadian) border, we had a tv station out of Bellingham that would broadcast some Canadian and some American stuff.
Walter Cronkite would come on at 6 pm, but they would show Dave Allen, Benny Hill, On The Buses, Doctor in the House and a host of other programs, in the evenings.
When Dr. Who came to the states, we would all stay up late on the weekends to watch the show.
In these days of Cable and internet TV, the individuality of a lot of stations has been lost.

Elvis
The bay area PBS station (KTEH) would show the older Dr. Who's M-F @6PM and the new stuff Sunday night with Red Dwarf ,Blake's 7 and the new Dr Who's.
Man they were cool.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
The bay area PBS station (KTEH) would show the older Dr. Who's M-F @6PM and the new stuff Sunday night with Red Dwarf ,Blake's 7 and the new Dr Who's.
Man they were cool.
Would they show Dr. Who episode-by-episode, or would they show a whole story in one showing?
We got a whole story in one showing. The individual episodes would be broken up by commercial breaks.

Elvis

dcrigger

DFO Star
Reaction score
Wild Wild West Billy Cobham did a lot of the drum work
If you are referring to the TV show - I can pretty positively say that no, Billy did no playing on it. The TV show ran from 1965-1969 and was recorded in LA - Billy spent the 1st three of those years in the Army band and much of '69 on the road with Horace Silver.

Plus unusually, the Wild West theme is pretty well documented - this is from wikipedia regarding the theme -

<<<
The main title theme was written by Richard Markowitz, who previously composed the theme for the TV series The Rebel. He was brought in after the producers rejected two attempts by film composer Dimitri Tiomkin.[37]

In an interview by Susan Kesler (for her book The Wild Wild West: The Series) included in the first season DVD boxed set, Markowitz recalled that the original Tiomkin theme "was very, kind of, traditional, it just seemed wrong." Markowitz explained his own approach: "By combining jazz with Americana, I think that's what nailed it. That took it away from the serious kind of thing that Tiomkin was trying to do...What I did essentially was write two themes: the rhythmic, contemporary theme, Fender bass and brushes, that vamp, for the cartoon effects and for West's getting himself out of trouble, and the heraldic western outdoor theme over that, so that the two worked together."

Session musicians who played on the theme were Tommy Morgan (harmonica); Bud Shank, Ronnie Lang, Plas Johnson and Gene Cipriano (woodwinds); Vince DeRosa and Henry Sigismonti (French horns); Uan Rasey, Ollie Mitchell and Tony Terran (trumpets); Dick Nash, Lloyd Ulyate, Chauncey Welsch and Kenny Shroyer (trombones); Tommy Tedesco and Bill Pitman (guitars); Carol Kaye (Fender bass); Joe Porcaro (brushes) and Gene Estes, Larry Bunker and Emil Richards (timpani, percussion).

Markowitz, however, was never credited for his theme in any episode; it is believed[by whom?] that this was due to legal difficulties between CBS and Tiomkin over the rejection of the latter's work. Markowitz did receive "music composed and conducted by" credits for episodes he had scored (such as "The Night of the Bars of Hell" and "The Night of the Raven") or where he supplied the majority of tracked-in cues (such as "The Night of the Grand Emir" and "The Night of the Gypsy Peril"). He finally received "theme by" credit on both of the TV movies, which were scored by Jeff Alexander rather than Markowitz (few personnel from the series were involved with the TV movies).>>>

Now - Billy may have had something to do with the 1999 movie - though I've never read anything to that effect. But I would be surprised as the movie has a pretty traditional score - written by Elmer Bernstein.

supraphonic

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
One from the other side of the pond

Man about the house theme.

Some cool drum breaks

KevinD

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
OK, here is one that is really not a TV theme song, it is really a piece of incidental music.. but it really swings.. I heard it when I was a kid and it stuck in my head.
This is from the UK and Laurie Johnson (the Avengers theme song-the 1960s UK TV show--not the current movie franchise)

Great chase, and fight scene music.

This was used in at least one episode of the Avengers and I'm thinking a couple of British (I believe one with Patrick McGoohan) and even American movies.
The drums really kick this, curious as to whom it may be playing on this.

FISTICUFFS

langmick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Our PBS station used to have The Kenny Everett Video Show, and Benny Hill. Quite the wakeup call for a young man lol. Those were the days!

This is some funky stuff by Alan Tew. Love it, Library Music is quite the rabbit hole.

It includes the wild and wooly The People's Court Theme.

Ron_M

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another favorite, composed/performed entirely on Moog synthesizers by Mort Garson. No drums used in the creation of this piece:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Another favorite, composed/performed entirely on Moog synthesizers by Mort Garson. No drums used in the creation of this piece:

Yeah! That has to be one of the coolest TV theme's there ever was!
The Outro was just as good....