TV Theme Songs

Snowdog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Cheesy show (great chemistry between the lead characters though) but a fun theme tune.

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
I totally love that this thread is suddenly diving into incidental and library music!

Of course, they'll say that the best incidental music doesn't draw attention to itself. But I'll add that some of the VERY BEST incidental music, in fact, gets in your head like a favorite hook and you even hum it, away from the TV.

I find myself counting how many themes I can think of which were used as the incidental music from Gilligan's Island. Those cues often depended on the season, but became quite familiar depending on which character or situation was being set-up, or even which guest star was appearing. Vito Scotti's character, Dr Boris Balinkoff had his own theme song. Every dance party on the island was always the same tune too.

Wonderful Cache of Gilligan's Island Incidental Music on YouTube

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Godfather of all themes, Mr. Lenny Pickett:

You dirty bum! You beat me to it! LOL! Lenny's a God!! Anyhow how about the blast-ass saxophone unison on CBS' "Cagney and Lacey" and CBS had a news magazine show with the Rippingtons' Jeff Kashiwa on the sax?

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You dirty bum! You beat me to it! LOL! Lenny's a God!! Anyhow how about the blast-ass saxophone unison on CBS' "Cagney and Lacey" and CBS had a news magazine show with the Rippingtons' Jeff Kashiwa on the sax?
Rippingtons-"Highroller" is the tune. I assume you're a huge saxophone fan too. I got stuck with the drums, my brother beat me to the sax by 11 months!

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mr Dressup, yup, the Kangaroo one, nope can't remember that one , but I do recall the original Flying Doctor and of course this one -

John Stoltz

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Did Earl Palmer play on the 1967 version of the "I Dream Of Jeannie" outro? I know he played on the first simpler versions but this 1967 outro is the best. Cool fills and drum sound.

David M Scott

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is the backup anthem , just in case -

In the 70s Second City was the Canadian version of SNL
and the McKenzie Bros were huge cult figures. John Candy, Eugene Levy and Martin Short all started on Second City before becoming international stars of stage and screen. I watched the show every Saturday night with my two teenagers.. who are now 58 and 60. Where did time go eh ?

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Very under the radar as far as Batman music goes...
These Batman the Brave and the Bold Intro and Outro are fantastic.

The Venture Brothers closing credits are awesome too.

dcrigger

DFO Star
Reaction score
Very under the radar as far as Batman music goes...
These Batman the Brave and the Bold Intro and Outro are fantastic.

Most all of the modern DC Comics Animation shows music (going back to the first "Batman Animated Series") has been written by the trio of composers that comprise Dynamic Music Partners - Kristopher Carter, Lolita Ritmanis and Michael McCuistion - who more often than not do everything with programmed drums and well. most everything except guitars and solo saxophone.

One except though was their score for 2016 animated homage to the 60's Batman TV show "Return of the Caped Crusaders" - where they had the budget to also use a real LA brass section and were nice enough to ask me to play real drums.

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard the WKRP theme the other day and never really took the time to appreciate what a fantastic drum groove it had. It got me thinking about some of my other favorites from the 80's - Night Court and Barney Miller (which we played in high school stage band).

Barney Miller was da shizzle.