Twirling Drumsticks

JimmySticks

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, so what's the consensus on the forum for twirling drumsticks?

My guess is, it's not to popular -among drummers! But audiences seem to eat it up. They love the showmanship and it seems to bring a solo to a peak. Sonny is one of the better twirlers, not to mention great soloist too!

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I twirl and flip them off drums and cymbals. Why not put on a show? Hardest was throwing it backwards.

richardh253

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love watching Dino's left hand twirl, he had the unique thing going. This is one of less-good play-to-the-record videos, though. Someone wake up that audience! But cool shots of that kit.

Hop

DFO Master
Reaction score
I don't mind it, especially if the playing is at a higher level... adds to the 'art' of showmanship and I don't mind it when the performance is more visually oriented, again adding to the showmanship.
But, dayum, if the timekeeping/grove/playing aint there, then they ought not be twirlin' them sticks!

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
OK, so what's the consensus on the forum for twirling drumsticks?

My guess is, it's not to popular -among drummers! But audiences seem to eat it up. They love the showmanship and it seems to bring a solo to a peak. Sonny is one of the better twirlers, not to mention great soloist too!

He must be bored with just playing.

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
I love watching Dino's left hand twirl, he had the unique thing going. This is one of less-good play-to-the-record videos, though. Someone wake up that audience! But cool shots of that kit.

Invisible horns and backup singers.

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
I do it when diddling when I'm thinking or if I'm diddling and watching a hockey game and focusing on the game for a minute. I would not do it playing, never did - it's not my style.

I don't judge those who do but it does up my expectations as an observer. If you're a twirler and your drumming is eh.. then I'm totally unimpressed. A full package showman is a great show to watch though.

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keepin’ the beat since 1973 Woodstock, N.Y.
I bought these quite a few years ago for fun. It was fun for awhile...at home. : )
9C3506F3-E2D6-41F4-8FA9-A3045F861D57.jpeg

JimmySticks

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought these quite a few years ago for fun. It was fun for awhile...at home. : )
View attachment 501715

I was actually wondering if anyone bought them! I might try a set myself.

piccupstix

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

I don't know who put that up but here's how it should be watched...Live!

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
During over 50 years of playing in front of audiences the closest I ever come to twirling my sticks is when I change my left-hand grip between matched and traditional while playing. No stick twirling, no funny hats, no comedy routines*, no flaming sticks (or flaming gong stands**), and no mechanical drum risers. If you want to see a juggler go watch a re-run of The Ed Sullivan Show — I ain't your guy.

*Back in my days on the road our singer, guitarist, bass player and myself would occasionally dance the can-can during the long keyboard break (extended specifically for this purpose) towards the end of "Won't Get Fooled Again", but only if the crowd had been responsive all night.

**One time we had a flaming roadie, when he tried to re-load the pyro boxes that inadvertently had been left 'live'. That (and his 2-day hospital stay) were NOT part of the show.

Jay-Dee

Reaction score
I'll take your Sonny Emory and raise you two Virgil Donati's (one very young), the second one isn't strictly stick twirling but you'll get the idea.

It's like, well they've learnt everything they can possibly master on a drumset, how else can they challenge themselves? Incredibly talented but not something that I ever have a desire to be able to do.

Last edited:

dale w miller

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The 80’s hair bands all but killed it, but it’s made a comeback for sure. What these drum line kids can do is off the charts at times.

I don’t twirl in public because I am not any good. What I do do is toss my stick really high in the air and catch it. I’ve probably have done it live, in the middle of a song, as high as 2.5 stories and caught it. It’s come close a couple of times, but I’ve never dropped it.

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
I doubt anyone will twirl during a studio recording, so that's a stupid thing to say. Whether you twirl or not during live performances is up to you and the type of audience you have. Why does it matter to us?

JimmySticks

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I doubt anyone will twirl during a studio recording, so that's a stupid thing to say. Whether you twirl or not during live performances is up to you and the type of audience you have. Why does it matter to us?

Why does anything matter to us? It's a part of drumming and it's worthy of discussion as much as what kind of sticks you use or what drums and cymbals you like.

Geez, you always come into a thread and then blow it off as "unimportant", "why does it matter", "who cares". Why do you come into them at all when it doesn't matter to you?