Twirling Drumsticks

hector48

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That's cheating.

Like finding kleenex in a brassiere.

:p

I tried those stick sleeves for twirling and they were very awkward. I sent them back.
I twirl on occasion. Especially, if there's a drum pause or a very slow 2 & 4 on the snare.
I gives me something to do :)

But if your playing is not solid, and you are twirling, then that's no good.

drums1225

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Like most hard rock and metal drummers in the 80's, I learned to do the "fake" twirl that only looks good from certain angles, and like many things from the world of hard rock and metal in the 80's, I now look at it as being kind of silly. Every once in a great while, I'll twirl in a "mocking" way to get a laugh out of my bandmates. Chalk me up for "twirling is kind of silly" in most cases.

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
1622141772197.png

PaisteDrummer95

Reaction score
Hey there, I once tried to twirl my sticks but got annoyed of them falling to the ground instead, and I also find it annoying if used excessively, it’s ok to do in drumless parts during songs tho.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey there, I once tried to twirl my sticks but got annoyed of them falling to the ground instead, and I also find it annoying if used excessively, it’s ok to do in drumless parts during songs tho.
I thinks it’s distasteful to do anything but sit there for drum less sections ...

piccupstix

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

I actually like it if it's integral with the music, becoming part of the performance. To me, it seems like the drummer is bored when twirling in a drumless part and sort of passing the time.

moonbabie

Reaction score
There’s parts in songs that feel right to do a flip or twirl.and it becomes common practice
to execute the same technique each time a certain part is played.in the same way a specific drum fill is played in the same spot everytime a song is performed.the audience likes to be entertained and stick tricks contribute to the entertainment.

Drm1979

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I can manage a decent twirl with my right hand. My left hand is just to uncoordinated to achieve it. I only play around with twirling sticks when i practice. Have never done it performing.

polycrescendo

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not into it but Morgan Rose can be really fun to watch. His drum tech is constantly reloading his backup sticks because he's popping off stick tricks at every opportunity.

Gotdrums

3rd most viewed drummer online
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I......like.......Seven.......Dust........a.......lot. Morgan Rose is a beast. He beats his drums like they owe him money. They are touring again now.