Two alternatives to Groove Essentisls

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
These are a couple of books that I’ve been using in place of Igoe’s “Groove Essentials”. The “Drummer’s Play-Along” presents a rich variety of play along styles, figures and chart “road maps” that mimic charts you will find on gigs. These charts are much longer and more involved than GE. The “Drummers Wanted” has a wide variety of common drum grooves. The grooves are described succintly and are more authentic than GE. The wider breadth of styles is demonstrated in the variety of shuffles. There are six presented and each has a name and a discography to properly distinguish it. Together the two cost more than the commonly used book but I find they are well worth the cost since you will possess double the amount of study material with more authenticity.
BDCDA0B3-3FF8-4B58-B921-1F3507479B5B.jpeg

Last edited:

dyland

Reaction score
Thanks for these recommendations! I use GE with my students all the time and have been in the market for some similar material.

BlackPearl

Reaction score
So does your looking for alternatives have anything to do with his recent Facebook posts ?

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
So does your looking for alternatives have anything to do with his recent Facebook posts ?
Well I haven’t seen his recent posts. I don’t follow him anywhere for other reasons. But despite my personal feelings about him I honestly think these books are better. I moved away from GE a couple of years ago and did some research that ended up with choosing these two. After a year of using them I decided to go back to GE for a variety of reasons mainly centered on students previous purchases. But after using them for a semester I’m going back to the two I posted. The materials are superior, more comprehensive yet more precise. Honestly GE is sloppy and not realistic.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Miller also has the Drumset Crash Course which covers a lot of grooves and is very good .

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've had this one for eons....

Drum-Set Club Date Dictionary by Sandy Feldstein
Contains all of the patterns necessary to play any club date, includes: Jazz, Rock, Ethnic, and Special Styles & Dances.

Boogaloo starts off the rock part......that's cool, as well as such gems like the Bunny Hop and Charleston are included.
This book was of interest....and released... a few years after starting playing as my first "jobs" (as the geezers called the gigs) as a 16 yr. oldster playing in two bands....one the typical rock cover band with others my own age, and the other a "proper" dance band with a bunch of old farts about the same age as I am now...;)
The book will fit in your stick bag as well!!!!
bt

(Not endorsing the site just a link to the book..)