Two gigs in one week after a 14 months of none.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
So this was the big week I had been looking forward to for the past couple of months. Two gigs in the same week after having not played any since March of 2020.

Wednesday night (June 9) was with my "Jazz" trio (for lack of a better description) which hadn't played live (nor rehearsed) since January of 2020. I brought out some Gretsch Round badges (12/14/20 with a Ludwig BB snare) for that gig.

RB SS 6-9-21.jpg

at the risk of proving (once and for all) that I suck as a drummer here's a sample of that night's performance.

The second gig was last night (June 11) at an outdoor weekly concert series in my home town. It was a hot one. I might be getting too old for this. The playing part was fine but the hauling, set-up, tear down, and load out really takes its toll. 2 hours of pretty heavy 60's rock. It's been a while since I'd done a gig like that. But I persevered and made it through in one piece.

I used my Super Classic sized "Ringo" set for that one with the 14x14 from my Downbeat set added in. Seemed appropriate given the material and they sounded great.

OBP 1 6-11-21.jpg

OBP 2 6-11-21.jpg

anyway, it was good to be out playing in front of people again. No other gigs currently booked but hopefully that will change soon.

Last edited:

dcdrum

Reaction score
Great stuff, and both beautiful kits. Congrats on getting out there again.

I've also been ramping up quickly after an empty year. It looks like I'll be playing out more than before the lockdown (which was only occasionally). Three different bar gigs, an outdoor event, and even started co-hosting an open mic night in the last month. One gig was on less than 24 hours notice, and I got to bring out the silver sparkle Club Dates for the first time.

IMG_1046.JPG

More time acquiring than playing gear in the last year. And my house is a wreck, trying to keep up with what to bring out for what gig, trying not to forget anything each time out (and not always succeeding!).

I'm thinking I need to have 2 distinct sets of hardware at the ready that just stays in the cases, ready to go: a light, stripped down set, and a fuller set. And a set to stay in the practice room. It's just nuts, but a nice problem to have after an empty year.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fun KO! I play tonight with my band DrD. Looking forward to it. With a brand new bass player too. Think I'll bring my Maple Hybrids....

Stickclick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Get ready for the avalanche. There is so much demand out there once covid restrictions are lifted.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So this was the big week I had been looking forward to for the past couple of months. Two gigs in the same week after having not played any since March of 2020.

Wednesday night (June 9) was with my "Jazz" trio (for lack of a better description) which hadn't played live (nor rehearsed) since January of 2020. I brought out some Gretsch Round badges (12/14/20 with a Ludwig BB snare) for that gig.

View attachment 503941

at the risk of proving (once and for all) that I suck as a drummer here's a sample of that night's performance.

The second gig was last night (June 11) at an outdoor weekly concert series in my home town. It was a hot one. I might be getting too old for this. The playing part was fine but the hauling, set-up, tear down, and load out really takes its toll. 2 hours of pretty heavy 60's rock. It's been a while since I'd done a gig like that. But I persevered and made it through in one piece.

I used my Super Classic sized "Ringo" set for that one with the 14x14 from my Downbeat set added in. Seemed appropriate given the material and they sounded great.

View attachment 503942

View attachment 503943

anyway, it was good to be out playing in front of people again. No other gigs currently booked but hopefully that will change soon.
Kevin - Is that your 60's Jazz Festival or the current reissue that you bought last year? If it's the latter, the match looks great, at least from a few feet away.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Kevin - Is that your 60's Jazz Festival or the current reissue that you bought last year? If it's the latter, the match looks great, at least from a few feet away.
That is the new drum. I figure why risk something happening to the expensive old drum when this one sounds really good and matches really well. I truly lucked out on the particular random drum I happened to get (sight unseen off ebay with just a stock photo) as I have seen some that, while still "pretty" in their own right, are not especially close looking to the originals.

20210611_182911.jpg

20210611_182854.jpg

SwivoNut

DFO Master
Reaction score
Our big band has two gigs in the same week booked for July 3rd and 4th. Seems good after zero gigs last year.
shelly.jpg

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
That is the new drum. I figure why risk something happening to the expensive old drum when this one sounds really good and matches really well. I truly lucked out on the particular random drum I happened to get (sight unseen off ebay with just a stock photo) as I have seen some that, while still "pretty" in their own right, are not especially close looking to the originals.

View attachment 504658

View attachment 504660

I too am blown away as to how good that new snare looks Kevin. It's a great match!

It's amazing how my gigs have just skyrocketed. We are at the tail end of Motorcycle week in NH and I have been pretty busy. last week I did three gigs, including the first night of motorcycle week, I played last night for motorcycle week and I am at the same place tonight. Tomorrow and Sunday I play at the same campground and then I have a gig next Saturday. July is cram packed too! I am very thankful but am starting to get a little beat down with four gigs in a row this week as well as doing my day job. I have a day in July where I am doing two gigs in the same day with two different bands. No complaints here though as I am very happy to be back at it.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I fear it may be quite a while before my next gig. I think the guy that does our booking might have dropped the ball. Not really his fault, things went from "sorry, not booking anything" to "sorry, all dates are filled" seemingly overnight.