Two rack toms-ride cymbal placement

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
drummer5359 and Jim Riley have it right: Offset your toms to the left and tuck in your ride cymbal close. In fact, on my double-bass setup this leaves enough room for two 22" rides, with each one in a very comfortable playing position.

IMG_0759_Txt.jpg

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
In post number three I posted a photo of me behind my Slingerlands with that setup in 2008. I found a photo of me behind the same kit in that configuration in the mid-1990s.

1615532663812.png

supershifter2

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
I now remember that I experimented with those off-set 12 and 13 toms as early as when I had my first ever concerts using my own drums. Someone mentioned it looked like a double bass kit without the second bass drum; it was the 80s...

supershifter2

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone mentioned it looked like a double bass kit without the second bass drum; it was the 80s...
And thats why I added the left bass drum when I did 2 up front and didnt want to move my ride cymbal. Then i bought another pedal. Then I decided to play 2 bass drums. And I'm so glad I did.

Malc

Reaction score
I've always had my ride low and over my FT. This year I've also added an 18" crash ride over it.
IMG_20200915_130741165_HDR.jpg

drumdawg

Reaction score
I went the cheap mans route. I have the far left tom mounted to my left crash stand with a bracket and the right tom mounted on the left side of the bass drum. This gave close enough to the same setup as the two tom stand but the bracket was cheaper than the stand. Just my one cent worth :)

pjmariner

Reaction score
This is how I keep mine now. I used to keep it low over the floor tom, but I don’t like the amount of shoulder rotation it takes to play that way. Years of lifting have made me re-think the setup and I keep my high hat and ride more infront of me and less to the side then in the past. It helps a lot.
BB7613FD-75EF-43A0-B0FD-BE88CA8E5947.jpeg

I also now have all the cymbals on two stands, makes setup easier, and eliminates tripod forest
6E5E5900-1B6A-4174-B508-2275883509AB.jpeg

Last edited:

Old Drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is a vexation.

I prefer my ride to be low and to the right, and still set it up this way. I acquired the habit while using an offset stand for my rack toms, which provided plenty of room for a low ride cymbal. Now I have a bass drum mount for the rack toms, and even with adjustments to move the toms as far to the left as possible, my ride cymbal is still pretty far to the right. I don't mind playing it that way, but it does take up more floor space.

As for why I don't just use an offset stand for my rack toms again, the problem is that my bass drum is now 22" when before it was 20". Offset stands already push two rack toms a bit far to the left, and adding a couple inches to the bass drum pushes them too far to the left for my tastes.

I've tried raising my ride and hanging it over my right rack tom at an angle (the standard setup) and concede that works. My plan is therefore just to do that when floor space is at a premium, although when it's not, I'll continue to keep my ride low and to the right.

A solution may be a rack for everything instead of stands. I like two rack toms a little to the left but not far to the left, which is somewhere in between where an offset stand positions them with a 22" bass drum and where a bass drum mount positions them.

Quai34

Reaction score
For a long time, I played my ride "flat" and low, just above my floor tom, especially in the late 80's, when I had 5 power toms over 24" bass drums. Then when I started studying jazz, and playing my teacher's bebop kit, he had the ride above and overlapping the right rack tom a bit. At first, my arm would get tired because it wasn't used to that angle, but eventually, I came to prefer the "jazz" position and now I play that way exclusively any time I play a 5pc kit. On a 4pc, I keep the ride in a bit tighter, lower, and more in the airspace of where the 2nd rack tom would be.

Actually, this pic that I just posted on another thread shows it. This was a backline kit and the ride was a 20" (I prefer 21" or 22" rides). With my 21s and 22s, they overlap the 2nd rack tom a bit more than the one in the pic.

View attachment 489525
For a long time, I played my ride "flat" and low, just above my floor tom, especially in the late 80's, when I had 5 power toms over 24" bass drums. Then when I started studying jazz, and playing my teacher's bebop kit, he had the ride above and overlapping the right rack tom a bit. At first, my arm would get tired because it wasn't used to that angle, but eventually, I came to prefer the "jazz" position and now I play that way exclusively any time I play a 5pc kit. On a 4pc, I keep the ride in a bit tighter, lower, and more in the airspace of where the 2nd rack tom would be.

Actually, this pic that I just posted on another thread shows it. This was a backline kit and the ride was a 20" (I prefer 21" or 22" rides). With my 21s and 22s, they overlap the 2nd rack tom a bit more than the one in the pic.

View attachment 489525
Actually, I have 3 how, one done so, sndisposition for my Sabain Groove ride 21" but I love too much rides so, I have also a Sabian Raw Bell Dry Ride just in top of the Floor tom, low position, at 2pm and a bit over it, at 02h30 pm, I have the Zildjian 23" A Custom Sweet ride...plus a 20" ride, Meinl Foundry Reserve at a medium high position, same position of your left crash but lower, just over the hihat, just behind the vertical rod of the hihat...So, you could use a ride everywhere and in every position, if you like it, you will play it anyway...

Quai34

Reaction score
This is a vexation.

I prefer my ride to be low and to the right, and still set it up this way. I acquired the habit while using an offset stand for my rack toms, which provided plenty of room for a low ride cymbal. Now I have a bass drum mount for the rack toms, and even with adjustments to move the toms as far to the left as possible, my ride cymbal is still pretty far to the right. I don't mind playing it that way, but it does take up more floor space.

As for why I don't just use an offset stand for my rack toms again, the problem is that my bass drum is now 22" when before it was 20". Offset stands already push two rack toms a bit far to the left, and adding a couple inches to the bass drum pushes them too far to the left for my tastes.

I've tried raising my ride and hanging it over my right rack tom at an angle (the standard setup) and concede that works. My plan is therefore just to do that when floor space is at a premium, although when it's not, I'll continue to keep my ride low and to the right.

A solution may be a rack for everything instead of stands. I like two rack toms a little to the left but not far to the left, which is somewhere in between where an offset stand positions them with a 22" bass drum and where a bass drum mount positions them.
Well, good idea for the rack, I have 3 up, I needed to do it this way..

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok I've got the two up and I'm going to play them. But for those of you who do too what ride placement do you prefer? At present mine is near the right most rack tom but I've been thinking about shifting it to above the floor tom. Now I'm a home player for fun and no profit. Just curious what those of you with more experience do. Thanks for your insights
Put it where it's most comfortable and allows the most economical in movement. Mainly, you must be comfortable. A comfortable posture is king. Start there. Playing your drums shouldn't be work. Listen to your body, nobody else's. Yours. Looking cool and playing cool are two different things. Drumming must be therapy, not labor. My drums are set where I'm making Maximum use of moving my wrists instead of moving my whole arms. I also sit rather high too.

Attachments

drums1225

Reaction score
Actually, I have 3 how, one done so, sndisposition for my Sabain Groove ride 21" but I love too much rides so, I have also a Sabian Raw Bell Dry Ride just in top of the Floor tom, low position, at 2pm and a bit over it, at 02h30 pm, I have the Zildjian 23" A Custom Sweet ride...plus a 20" ride, Meinl Foundry Reserve at a medium high position, same position of your left crash but lower, just over the hihat, just behind the vertical rod of the hihat...So, you could use a ride everywhere and in every position, if you like it, you will play it anyway...
On my studio and bebop kits, I have two rides on each. Like you said, one of them is where my left crash is in the picture, but lower.

Quai34

Reaction score
Put it where it's most comfortable and allows the most economical in movement. Mainly, you must be comfortable. A comfortable posture is king. Start there. Playing your drums shouldn't be work. Listen to your body, nobody else's. Yours. Looking cool and playing cool are two different things. Drumming must be therapy, not labor. My drums are set where I'm making Maximum use of moving my wrists instead of moving my whole arms. I also sit rather high too.
Well, you have rack too, like me.... I just have a tiny bit more cymbals....I got a friend of mine coming today to check the ergonomy and he liked it a lot
IMG_20210104_012447_copy_2016x1134.jpg

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, you have rack too, like me.... I just have a tiny bit more cymbals....I got a friend of mine coming today to check the ergonomy and he liked it a lot View attachment 490190
I've got 96 cymbals in my inventory. Half are '50s and '60s Zildjians and Paiste 602/2002 cymbals that I bought new. I also own Sabian, Meinl and Wuhan. I'm an old dude, the HexRack has been with me since it's inception. Notice no snare stand?

Attachments

Last edited: