Two Ride Cymbals?

SteveDilksDrums

Reaction score
Yes, mind you, I use one as a second crash because it is pretty thin and has a really nice wash. 20" modified Zildjian Ride to the right of my rack tom, 20" Dream Bliss Ride (used as a crash/ride) just to the right and above my main ride.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Almost always run two rides. I keep a Gretsch bop/jazz kit set up with a 22" to the right, and 20" left side. On my larger kit, I use a 22" or 24" as a main ride, with another 22" light ride to the right near the floor tom. larger kit varies between DW Collectors, Yamaha RC, and Tama Starclassic.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I used to play 20" rides forever with 16 and 18 crashes. As I delved deeper into jazz (the last 10 years or so exclusively), I went to 22 rides and even tried 24's. I think 22's are awesome and usually have 2 rides - 22 and 22, or sometimes 20 left and 22 right. But they are both rides (or crash cymbals that ride well with a woody stick sound), have bells and dark crashes.

Current setup is a 20 K con medium left and a 22 Bosphorus Turk with 2 rivets right.....but I change it up every few days.....but I limit myself to hats and 2 cymbals - left and right. In a perfect world, I'd just have a single cymbal but thankfully, I am far from perfect!

avedisschwinn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For jazzy playing, I have a 22" kerope to my right and a 20" vintage A with rivets to my left. Both crashable, although I basically crash with the shoulder of the stick.

Salem street drums

DFO Sponsor
Reaction score
Ive started playing three. Two are very crashable and one just has a monster stick sound with a clean bell. Love it....Im left handed and all three are on the left side.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Normally I just use a single ride and pair of hats, but lately I have been using a 24" Dream Bliss small bell ride to my right (on a bass drum mounted cymbal arm) and a 19" Soultone flat ride on the left. If I were to ever add a third ride (highly unlikely) it would be a sizzle cymbal on my far right. Basically, though, my thought is if you cannot make do with a single ride and hats you either have the wrong cymbals or are lugging a lot of stuff to a gig that is single-purpose and preventing one from learning the nuances of their favorite ride and hats.

SwivoNut

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've always played with two and am currently using two 20" rides in an 18-piece big band.

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My cymbal setup changes a lot depending on what I'm feeling on any given day, but I almost always have two cymbals that are either crashable rides or rideable crashes. Right now, for example, I've got a 22" Mehmet Turk (about 2200g) on the right and a 21" Samsun earth crash (not sure of the weight) on the left. If I have a smaller crash in the set -- anywhere from 14"-19" (I'm not exclusively into big cymbals, so I switch it up a lot) -- I'll just move the left-side crash/ride over to the right and put it above my main ride.

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
In one setup I use a 19" Amedia Dervish series ride that has a nice, clear bell. Right next to that is a 20" Amedia Dervish series flat ride. Beautiful combination and it works in everything from jazz to rock.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I used to use one on my right and one on my left. This was during my Ian Mosley-influenced days, where he would play Marillion song patterns between two similar-sounding rides. I had a 22" Zildjian Ping, and incredibly, when my friend brought over his 20"Zildjian Medium, it sounded nearly identical. It does NOT sound like playing on one cymbal, in the same way playing two sets of hats doesn't sound like one, either.

Dan

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I, like many other jazz players, prefer a second ride in the front/left position rather than to the far right. It's a very comfortable position to play ride rhythms. The left ride should be crashable, but these day, even my main ride is.

supershifter2

DFO Star
Reaction score
3 rides. 24" ride on the right for ride only. 20" ride on the left for a crash and left hand ride and 20" ride on the right for a crash and different sound ride.

JimUK

Reaction score
Yes- I use a 21" Agop Trad Dark and 22" Agop Trad Original. They vary in uses from gig to gig. Don't always use them together though.

Iristone

Reaction score
I sometimes use a 21" Avedis ride and a 22" Ping ride on stage and in my home studio. For this setting, I use the Ping as the main ride, and the Avedis as a large crash -- oh, with a sweet bell.
Lately on stage I've been using the Avedis only, as a crash/ride cymbal. The ride could be a bit washy on stage, but in the studio (curiously) it tightens up quite a bit.
Both are definitely keepers, though. It's nice to have options. ;-)

Iristone

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Most guys think jazz when talking 2 rides, but the finest singing rock drummer used a 2 ride setup. Check out Levon on the Last Waltz, whenever he sings and rides, he rides on the one over the hi hat. As a singing drummer, this setup is much easier and limits the cross body back and forth with a single ride.

Nice to see the Dreams, have 10 plus and em running a 20 bliss and 22 vintage at the moment with a Bliss 18.

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Two or three bosphorus, K Con, Old K. You can hit them all kinds of ways!!

dje31

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not me personally, but the great (IMHO) Bill Bruford often had two side by side...a standard and a flat, with noticeably different sound characteristics.

You can tell on the eponymously titled debut album, Yes, on the track, "I See You," during the quiet guitar solo, very easily, when he goes from one to the other.

Or maybe it was a post-production overdub...