Two shell banks instead of eight different kits?

drummer5359

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Currently I have eight drum sets. I need to down size as I'm out of room, but I don't want to loose the versatility that I have.

So...

I've decided to expand two of my kits into shell banks and sell the kits that will be redundant.

I have a 2008 DW Collector's Series kit in broken glass finish. 8", 10", 12", 13", 14" FT, 16" FT and 18"x22" bass drum. I have three matching snare drums, a 5"x14" Ten and six, a 6 1/2"x13" Edge, and a 5 1/2"x14" Super Solid. My intent is to order 16"x20" and 18"x24" bass drums for this kit.

I also have a 2019 Gretsch USA Custom kit in silver glass nitron wrap, a finish very similar to DW's broken glass. That kit is currently 10", 12", 14 FT, 16" FT, and a 14"x22" bass drum. I recently ordered a 5"x14" matching snare drum and a 14"x20" matching bass drum. My intent is to also order a 13" tom, 14"x24" bass drum and a 6 1/2"x14" snare to match.

The DW Collectors Series and Gretsch USA Custom kits have very different personalities, I feel that a shell bank of each would allow me to cover any possible situation in the future and still take up less room than the additional six drum sets that I currently own. The kits that I sell will pay for some of the new drums, I'm guessing that it could take a year or two to get all of the new drums ordered and delivered.

Has anyone else gone down this path?

MonkeyGrass

Keystone Addict
Reaction score
Yep. If you need multiples sizes and sounds, it's by far the easiest way to do this.

All your mounts will be compatible. Stands/clamps, etc.. Just pick the kit, and the sizes you need for the gig or session.

I have a bank of Classic Maples (12/13/14/16/18 18k 22k) and a bank of YSC (10/12/14/16 20k and looking for 22 or 24k) and between them, it's grab and go. I decide if Maple or Birch is the tone I need, and what sizes are appropriate for the gig/session.

I went one step further and swapped out my YESS mounts for ATLAS mounts so I can use the same hardware. Easy Peasy. My hardest decision is what cymbals and snare to bring. ;)

Last edited:

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
I'm looking for an orange swirl club customer 10" tom to give me 10-12-14-16-20 and 22

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
How much of a difference could there be between an 18x22 and 18x24 DW bass? They will both thump deeply! I'd stick with the 18x22 and maybe go 14x20 (which is plenty for a DW bass) and also gives up the option of doing lighter/jazz gigs.

As for the Gretsch, I think it is overkill having two kits in all the nearly same sizes.
I'd probably order the snare and an 18 bass (of course, I am a jazz guy) and be good on that kit.

Houndog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In hindsight ,I wish I had built a shellbank of the same drums , instead of having 5 different kits .
But now 2 shell banks of different drums is even better !!!!

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Has anyone else gone down this path?
Yessir, I have. I combined 2 matching Sonor Vintage Series sets: 20/12/14 w/ 5.75 snare and 22/13/16 w/ 6.5 snare, and on a wreckless whim, added a matching 24" BD. Did the same with a Prolite set in Walnut Brown Burst: 20/10/14 w/ 5" snare, matched to a 22/12/16/18 w/ 6" snare. Maximum versatility (though I've never actually combined the sets - I'm normally a 1 up/1-2 down kinda guy.

Ironically, I'm thinking of selling both the 20" Vintage and Prolite sets, as they're just not getting much use.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Lots of tom options: check.
20" bass drum: practical
24" bass drum: yeah, I'm a fan.
22" bass drum.... I don't really see the point in having a 20,22 AND a 24. I could see an 18 and 22. I could see a 20/24. I could see making a procrustean 22" work for everything.

dogmanaut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Whoa. “Procrustean.” The vocab on this forum just leveled up.

drummer5359

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Lots of tom options: check.
20" bass drum: practical
24" bass drum: yeah, I'm a fan.
22" bass drum.... I don't really see the point in having a 20,22 AND a 24. I could see an 18 and 22. I could see a 20/24. I could see making a procrustean 22" work for everything.
I already have a 22" for each of these kits. I recently sold my only kit with a 24" bass, and I already miss it. There are also some rooms that I feel a 22" bass drum is a bit over kill for one of the projects that I'm in. Up to this point I've always used one of my kits with a 20". Although I can use a 22", I think that since I'm freeing up some cash and space by selling the extra kits, it would be nice to have a 20" and not make have to "make due".

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
"By time one gets' around to thinking of shell banks It's way way ..too late.."
to turn back now unless sell everything and begin again.
Shell banks as a concept outside of cartage companies wasn't even around. Imagine dealers - well a few have in recent years- a few not many.
" Ok, kid you'll need 3 bass drums, six tom toms and 2 snares. All same series, All same color > YOU'LL THANK Me someday...."

Last edited:

drummer5359

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Shell banks as a concept outside of cartage companies wasn't even around. Imagine dealers - well a few have in recent years- but few not many.
Each of these kits already had a decent range of drums, adding additional bass drums to both and a tom to one of the kits won't be too outrageous. I will be gaining the space being taken up by six other complete kits. For me, I don't have to completely start over.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Shell banks as a concept outside of cartage companies wasn't even around. Imagine dealers - well a few have in recent years- a few not many.
" Ok, kid you'll need 3 bass drums, six tom toms and 2 snares. All same series, All same color > YOU'LL THANK Me someday...."
I get what you're saying but ... while we'd all like to go back in time and save our past selves a bit of money time and effort, I'm not sure you can short circuit the discovery process. I remember as a kid I was enamored with Les Pauls and Mesa Boogie Mk III's, and.... while I never got around to spending the money on Mesas, the LP Studio I had taught me that it ain't my thing AT ALL. There's a saying "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement." Had I gone and spent thousands of dollars on what I thought I eventually wanted, it'd still be wasted. And although I didn't play drums then, my college notebooks were filled with doodles of band setups and the drums always had 13" brass piccolo snares and fusion kits. Which is not exactly where my tastes lie today.

Plus I think the discovery process itself actually shapes us.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
That's true. But you do notice some Shops introducing- trying to get it into the psyche- early..the shell bank concept.. Well Not Really. But offering -in stock- multiple sizes- Could help push some that way- without going thru the experience. But I get ya..

No shop has said yet " Get the 18" and the 24" - yet but they could..

drummer5359

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I get what you're saying but ... while we'd all like to go back in time and save our past selves a bit of money time and effort, I'm not sure you can short circuit the discovery process. I remember as a kid I was enamored with Les Pauls and Mesa Boogie Mk III's, and.... while I never got around to spending the money on Mesas, the LP Studio I had taught me that it ain't my thing AT ALL. There's a saying "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement." Had I gone and spent thousands of dollars on what I thought I eventually wanted, it'd still be wasted. And although I didn't play drums then, my college notebooks were filled with doodles of band setups and the drums always had 13" brass piccolo snares and fusion kits. Which is not exactly where my tastes lie today.

Plus I think the discovery process itself actually shapes us.
It does. Over the years I've had a bunch of drum sets, and that has helped me to figure out what I really like and what I don't. I'm in a situation where I'm able to buy exactly what I want and get rid of kits that are taking up space.

I'm sixty years old and still gig regularly. These will likely be my last kits, I'd might as well have what I really want.

Snare drums and cymbals? I'll still be exploring the possibilities for a while. :D

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I'm still mostly a guitar player. and I'm actually toying with the idea of doing a hybridized electronic version of this. Sell the catalinas. Keep the 15" snare and cymbals. Maybe get a set of old A's since the APX covers the 2002 angle , and of course add snares and cymbals to suit fancy. Get a e-kit, beat on the e-kit and when I want to track drums, use electronic bass and toms and real snare/cymbals.