Two Snare drums

drummingbulldog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a Dunnett S.S. 6.5x14 with the original Nickel Piston throw on it. It isn't broken but the drum/throw is 20 plus years old. I want to swap out the old throw off with something new that fits the hole pattern without having to drill new holes.

I also have a Gretsch 5x14 120th Anniversary snare which is drilled for a p.o.s. Lightning throw. What will work with those hole patterns? This one sounds unreal but the throw, well I hate it. The Taiwan Lightning that is a different design works much better and functions great. I don't have a drum from Taiwan with that throw anymore. I just need to know if the holes are the same or different.

I'm thinking Trick for the Dunnett or a Dunnett throw. I have not ruled anything out. Gretsch gurus-help!!!

ARGuy

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the Trick hole spacing is the same as the Nickel. There is also at least one model of Dunnett throw that has adjustable spacing, if you want to keep the drum all Dunnett.
I'll second the Inde throw - adjustable spacing. Buy a two pack!
Another throw that doesn't get mentioned as much here but that has worked great for me is the RCK from Black Swamp Percussion. Also has adjustable spacing.

Swissward Flamtacles

Reaction score
There is also at least one model of Dunnett throw that has adjustable spacing, if you want to keep the drum all Dunnett.
It's made (or distributed) by Gibraltar now, isn't it? Just in case you can't find it by just looking dor Dunnett. :)

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also have a Gretsch 5x14 120th Anniversary snare which is drilled for a p.o.s. Lightning throw. What will work with those hole patterns? This one sounds unreal but the throw, well I hate it.
whats wrong with it; sometimes- if you put- three- thick washers- under the strainer mounting points- OUTSIDE of the shell------ It pulls/puts/ the Strainers cam action away and in a more balanced place ( stock it's sometimes 'too close' to shell- to get the 'over-center' lock it's supposed to have.
3 thick washers in-between strainer and shell fixes it.

GretschNuts 001.JPG GretschNuts 002.JPG GretschNuts 003.JPG GretschNuts 004.JPG

Last edited:

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don’t think anyone has a similar throw off hole pattern to the Lightning. I was unaware there was a problem with Gretsch throw offs? Last USA snare I played had a phenomenal lightning on it. Maybe your wire spring is shot inside?

halldorl

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
An Inde throw,they work great!
No drilling!

I replaced a Dunnett throw on my Dunnett snare with an Inde. The Dunnett throw was bulky, stiff and heavy. I highly recommend the Inde.

drummingbulldog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
whats wrong with it; sometimes- if you put- three- thick washers- under the strainer mounting points- OUTSIDE of the shell------ It pulls/puts/ the Strainers cam action away and in a more balanced place ( stock it's sometimes 'too close' to shell- to get the 'over-center' lock it's supposed to have.
3 thick washers in-between strainer and shell fixes it.

View attachment 487900 View attachment 487905 View attachment 487907 View attachment 487908
That might explain my issues.

Reactions: JDA