Two toms mounted on bass drum

High on Stress

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
... does not appeal to me. I don't know if we've discussed this before or if I am the only one who has this particular quirk, but I don't like two toms on the bass drum. Like many of us, that's the way I started out on my first 5 piece kit, but I just don't dig the look or playing that configuration. Two toms mounted on a stand and offset a bit? Yes. Three toms up, including two mounted on the bass drum? Yes. One up? Yes. But exactly two on a bass drum mount? Nope.

Anyone else feel this way? And if so, any thoughts on why? I can't really think of a rational reason to have this hangup.

unregisteredalien

Reaction score
Visually I appreciate the symmetry. And practically, if I'm having that many toms I prefer them to be over the bass drum so I can move smoothly from the snare around and down the toms.

I've never been able to get my head/body around the playing ergonomics of having two hanging toms off to my left or two floor toms down to my right.

But ya know, I'm just a self-taught guy who likes it simple and compact and generally plays 1 up 1 down anyway.

Last edited:

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm not one for mounting two toms on a bass drum. My old kit came that way with two heavy toms and I could see the shell of the bass give so made the change many years ago. I don't have a hangup with the look and enjoy playing it that way. I like the smooth transition from rack to floor without a big gap between the toms so I hang them on stands or rack over the bass.

sherm

hsosdrum

Reaction score
If you mount two toms on your (single) bass drum your ride cymbal is forced into a location that makes you reach too far to get to it. So you work harder than you need to, which tires you out more quickly.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I mostly use one rack tom; I like the ride cymbal to be slightly above the bass drum. Agree two toms on the bass is a bit far off to the right for me. On the other hand, mounting two rack toms on a stand pushes them too far to the hh side for my taste. With two rack toms I might mount one of them on the bass, the other one on a cymbal stand. That's where a bass drum tom mount comes handy; floating a tom right on top of the bass drum can be tricky; you might end up needing a rack bar.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score

(bookmark it

1 00:00:53 Chim Chim Cheree (Sherman brothers , 1964)
2 00:23:10 I Want to Talk about You (Billy Eckstine , 1944)
3 00:33:42 Body and Soul (Johnny B. Green , 1930)
4 00:42:55 Blues Minor (John Coltrane , 1961)
5 00:59:02 Naima (John Coltrane , 1959)
6 01:07:22 A Love Supreme (John Coltrane , 1964)
7 01:43:54 Bessie's Blues (John Coltrane , 1964)

Last edited:

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just played my ehole li
If you mount two toms on your (single) bass drum your ride cymbal is forced into a location that makes you reach too far to get to it. So you work harder than you need to, which tires you out more quickly.
It depends on what you sre used to.

I have done it like this for 27 years now. And never had a problem With it.

I played other options too but always came back at two tomes above the kick.

98258C23-0E1C-4BA0-B2F8-F99A4D22030B.jpeg

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The symmetry thing is an optical illusion: the center of the drum set is the snare drum, not the bass drum. True multi-tom symmetry would be two bass drums with two toms between them and a floor tom on either side (a la Ludwig's Blue Note drum set in their mid-60s-era catalogs). I suspect that when drum companies started seriously offering twin-tom sets in the 60s (yes, there were sets with two toms before that, but they were not commonplace and usually the toms were attached on opposing sides of the bass drum from each other), they put both of them atop the bass drum for their manufacturing convenience and cost savings, not for any considerations of symmetry or playing ergonomics. Initially they only offered the twin toms as a pair of the same sizes (two 8x12s, two 9x13s), which to me indicates again that they only had ease of manufacturing and production costs in mind with no concern for musical/playing issues.

Like several folks who have already responded, I normally only play a 4-piece kit but I do use a 5-piece when the situation requires the extra voice; in that case, I put both toms on a stand and place them between the hi-hat and the bass drum, sometimes with the second tom overlapping the bass drum shell.

In most cases, the added tom will be some kind of special sound source (timbale, concert tom, etc.), which usually doesn't take up too much room, so the spread to the hi-hat is not much wider than it would normally be. And my crash cymbal (boomed off of the tom stand) is essentially in the same position.

I'm also aided in those situations by the fact that I often use small size short-stack toms (12 when single, 10 & 12 or 8 & 12 when double dating), which allows me greater positioning both vertically and laterally. I find the sonic trade off between short-stack toms and traditional sized toms (which I also have in my arsenal) is more than offset by the positioning flexibility they offer. I like my ride low and I can live with the hi-hat at various altitudes as long as they're not extreme. So, my default is a compact, simple 4-banger (which I've found is also preferred by most other band members), but when I need two toms, they go on a stand. This keeps the main elements of my kit constant and doesn't affect the positioning of my ride cymbal, which gets used a lot more than the occasional extra tom.

Drum making is a business. The manufacturer's primary focus is on making drums in a financially efficient manner; after that, it's up to their marketing department to sell you on whatever it is that they've made. My two cents; YMMV.

Two up, driver's seat view
20118-06-02-Birdcage001.JPG

Two up, front view
20118-06-02-Birdcage002.JPG

One up, driver's seat view
2017-09-23-BigBats007.JPG

One up, front view
2018-10-28-FallFest005.JPG

Last edited:

Obiwandrumobe

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would not like them
Here or there.
I would not like them
Anywhere.
I do not like
Green eggs and ham.
I do not like them,
Sam-I-am

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like having two toms on the bass drum but I like having my ride cymbal in a comfortable place to play more , four piece kits for me these days .

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
... does not appeal to me. I don't know if we've discussed this before or if I am the only one who has this particular quirk, but I don't like two toms on the bass drum. Like many of us, that's the way I started out on my first 5 piece kit, but I just don't dig the look or playing that configuration. Two toms mounted on a stand and offset a bit? Yes. Three toms up, including two mounted on the bass drum? Yes. One up? Yes. But exactly two on a bass drum mount? Nope.

Anyone else feel this way? And if so, any thoughts on why? I can't really think of a rational reason to have this hangup.
I'M WITH YOU! :thumbright:
My two rack toms are offset. I usually play more like a 4 piece anyway. Gotta have my ride where I can comfortably play it all night long.

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Being that both of my kits have bass drum mounted cymbal arms, I will never have to worry about two rack toms. I love the look and the position I get with my ride this way and it keeps things tidy.

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've literally never had to struggle to reach my ride (which is on the right next to my floor tom). Maybe if YOU mount two toms over YOUR bass drum YOU struggle. And I'm not 6'8" or anything, 6'1". Not unusually long arms. . .

It's convenient. I grew up with 2 mounted on the bass. And my current 5 piece is also setup this way.

I've watched a couple vids on the question of bass drum resonance--whether virgin or not. There's such a minimal difference if any, that shouldn't be an issue.

With that said, I like a variation of setups.

Latest posts