Two toms mounted on bass drum

hsosdrum

Reaction score
I've literally never had to struggle to reach my ride (which is on the right next to my floor tom). Maybe if YOU mount two toms over YOUR bass drum YOU struggle. And I'm not 6'8" or anything, 6'1". Not unusually long arms. . .
Maybe not, but I'm only 5'7"; your extra half-foot of height is no doubt a factor aiding your comfort with a longer reach.

I don't struggle — I put my ride cymbal the same place Buddy put his; it's no reach at all for me. AND I play 2-up/2-down. I also play double-bass, so my rack toms are between the bass drums, leaving room for my ride. Like someone said earlier, symmetry.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I played two rack toms over the kick for years. Now I have them mounted on a tom stand to the left of the kick, so I can tuck my ride in closer.

High on Stress

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
At least somebody got the humor! :icon_lol:
My first vintage drum score was a Slingerland Buddy Rich outfit with the two 16s. I couldn’t figure out why two floor toms of the same size and why Buddy’s signature kit had two floor toms when he was always playing one up and one down in all the videos I had seen. Then I saw the photos with towel and it all made sense.

Reaction score
I got away from mounted Toms on the kick in the early 2000’s, however by 2011/2012 I went back to it. It was when I got a late 80’s set of Recording Customs. That was the first kit I owned in over 10 years that had a mount on the kick.
It was just simpler and easier. After that I moved back to mounted Toms for all my setups. I even had Yamaha install a mount on my Live Custom 24” when I got it, something that wasn’t available on that particular sized bass drum.

Han

Reaction score
Came into the drumming world playing a 5 piece kit and I'm going to leave the drumming world playing a 5 piece kit.
3 kits.

TEMPUS DRUMS
Carbon Fiber
18" x 16" Bass Drum
10" x 9" Tom
12" x 11" tom
14" x 13" Floor Tom
14" x 6.5" Snare Drum
Hemp
20" x 16" Bass Drum
12" x 8" Tom
13" x 9" Tom
14" x 14" Floor Tom
14" x 7" Snare Drum
Fiberglass - Lots of drums...but I only use 5 at a time.
22" x 18" Bass Drum
10" x 8" Tom
12" x 8" Tom
13" x 9" Tom
14" x 10" Tom
14" x 14" Floor Tom
16" x 16" Floor Tom
14" x 5" Snare Drum (From Billy Cobham's Meridian Blue Tempus kit)

daveplaydrum

Reaction score
I like the ride cymbal over the right side of the kick too much to play it any other way. I’ve used two rack toms where they’re offset to the left and I’m currently 1 up 2 down but the ride placement stays consistent.

AgDrumma07

DFO Master
Reaction score
I play in a Texas country band and most drummers in this genre are 1 up 1 down (or 2 down), which is where I picked it up from. I also crash a lot on my ride and found it's much easier to mount my ride over my kick vs. more off to the side.

michaelocalypse

Reaction score
I stopped playing with two toms on the bass (assuming a 5-piece configuration) a while ago. I put a gigging kit together for a band that went nowhere and put the toms back on the bass (with a cymbal arm). Had another arm off the hi-hat, which left one cymbal stand for the ride. I didn't do this for the purpose of carrying less gear. I did it so I didn't have to buy more gear. Anyway, setting up like that made me wonder why I changed it away from that setup. I'm guessing I read a random thread on the Internet about how offset toms were better... ;)

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have no problem whatsoever with my ride cymbal positioning with 2 up .
It’s actually more comfortable for me than it with one up .

Twakeshima

Reaction score
Always feels weird to have my second Tom so far to my right. Then my ride cymbal is too high up. I play with a ten inch mounted far to my left and a thirteen inch mounted over the left side of the bass drum. My hi hats are pretty far off to the side but I learned to play with this setup so to me it feels normal.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I'm equally ergonomically comfortable with either one or two toms on a bass drum mount. My ride placement is ideal for either, and while I seldom bring double-tom rigs to gigs anymore I've always used the bass drum post for tom mounting.
GretschRenownDrumset.JPG
tamaIMPSboswell rearview.jpg
RemoMasteredgeFromAbove.jpg

MapexMasteworkAbove.jpg
Yamahas above.jpg
Premier Genista Full setup.jpg
BR set above.jpg
tamastarclassicrearview.jpg

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I started off playing 3 pieces for a few years.....then to 4 piece....and then 35 yrs on the 5 piece - 2 up and 1 down. And in the last 2 yrs have tried from 6,7,8,,9,10,11 and 13 pieces. You get comfortable with any set up given enough time. They all had their pluses and minuses.

These days I prefer the 4 piece kit with 1 up and 1 down. It forces me to do more with less. When I have 2 toms up or 2 FT's, it always seems that "I HAVE" to play these extra drums most of the time. And that's not the goal. But I'm basically a 5 piece guy. Though I realize that 12 and 13 rack toms don't give much separation. And I'm not a fan of 10 and 12 rack toms either. I'd guess my favorite line up right now would probably be 12 rack, 14 FT, 16 FT, 20/22 kick. Though I've had a blast playing 8,10 left, 12,13 rack, 16 and 18 floor toms in an 8 pc kit.

davidh

Reaction score
Most recently has been with no toms at all which I really enjoy.. I remember starting with one 12" and a bass drum after 2 years marching snare only and managed the extra tom ok. Then a few years later a 16" but I never fully incorporated it much - so after 60 years I seem to be going backwards. Tried concert toms in the 70s but never had a two up ever
IMG_2838.jpg

Malc

Reaction score
I played two on the bass drum and one down for many years but have very recently moved over to having the two rack toms on a stand. I also always had my bd facing straight ahead but it's now at 2 o'clock ish.
IMG_20200808_141426302_HDR.jpg

Latest posts