Two Toms or One Tom Up

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Why do most jazz players seem to go for one tom up while most other styles are played two toms up? I know there are exceptions but generally why this distinction? WHat do you do as a player? (I'm two up but only cause that is the kit I have

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
I'm not a jazzist, and Jazz has many forms, but I'd say because that's all they need. Any drummer playing that way must feel the same. I play one up on my Bop kit, two up on my 'big' (5pc) kit. As a mainly 5pc animal, I find the 4pc makes me play more mindfully, without that second rack tom and hopefully, more creative.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes, I think you will hear the "more favorable ride placement" explanation more than any other. I think it's most likely just a cyclical issues... drummers were on 4 peice kits in the 50's and 60's, then the trend became 5 peice rigs with 2 toms up in the 70's and 80's. But now we've seen the norm swing back to 1 up with a 4 peice again.

I play 4 pieces with one up more than anything, but still prefer 2 up and 2 down.

Last edited:

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
Don’t need more than two toms.
Easier to carry.
Tradition.
Ride cymbal is in a more favorable position.
^This^

And the ride cymbal is used more than a tom, particularly in jazz, so having it in a favorable position is more important than yet another tom-tom.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
^This^

And the ride cymbal is used more than a tom, particularly in jazz, so having it in a favorable position is more important than yet another tom-tom.
I'll add my ignorant 2 cents. Triplet based fills. Hi Snare Lo. KISS. Keep it Simple Stupid. (in my case anyway)

audiochurch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
one up, one down. mimics bongos or congas for afro-cuban, latin beats. and it is easier for me to carry around

AustinFitz

Reaction score
I play a lot of different types of music, and for me 2 toms up and 2 toms down works best. I don't HAVE to have that many, but I definitely prefer it. A 6 piece kit is kinda the Goldilocks size for me. Not too big like the Neil Peart type kits, but not too small either like bop kits. It's all about what feels best to you as an individual. Everyone is different!

Latest posts