Two Toms or One Tom Up

Drm1979

Reaction score
I started off with 2 up one down. Then changed to 1 up one down as the style of music I was playing didn't require so many toms. Couple years later I deliberately bought a 4 piece as I was young and thought that's all I'd ever need. For the most part this has been true but I've still had those moment where I wished I had gotten a 5 piece to have that extra tom just in case a situation present itself.

vintagemore2000

DFO Star
Reaction score
I can't stand two mounted toms. I use one and up two down, I started with that setup many many years ago, it works perfectly for me, my ride cymbal is right where it needs to be,

supershifter2

DFO Star
Reaction score
i started playing in 1970. tom configuration was a personal preference thing. I play rock and for 14 years had 1 up amd 2 down so my ride cymbal would be where i like it. when i added a 2nd bass drum i added a 2nd up tom. forget WHAT kind of music you play and make YOUR KIT the way YOU LIKE it ! thats what makes the music go around.

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not sure it's just a "jazz" thing. In the hardcore and punk scenes 4 pc kits are the norm. Case in point. The This is Hardcore 3 day fest in philly has over 25 bands a day playing and maybe 5 of those drummers aren't using a 4 pc 1 up, 1 down configuration. I play in a Horror Punk band and use a 4 pc, when I was in my post hardcore band I used a 4 pc. Sometimes it's all you need to get the job done. Not that bigger kits don't have their place and I miss playing my larger kit.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Today, I’m playing my 3 up/1 down Recording Custom Kit! Why? Why indeed! Fun! Pics at 11...

rpludwig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
hell, even Buddy played 1 up 1 down (plus a towel holder)....why need any more?

Dave HCV

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's well known that Philly Joe Jones used a 0 up 1 down setup on the Miles album Milestones. On the other hand, look at the Steve Smith's Jazz Legacy rendition of Two Bass Hit on his 3 up 2 down kit. Both are great, just different. Me, I play what's appropriate for the band, the music, and the physical space available (which is sometimes the controlling factor).

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not sure it's just a "jazz" thing. In the hardcore and punk scenes 4 pc kits are the norm. Case in point. The This is Hardcore 3 day fest in philly has over 25 bands a day playing and maybe 5 of those drummers aren't using a 4 pc 1 up, 1 down configuration. I play in a Horror Punk band and use a 4 pc, when I was in my post hardcore band I used a 4 pc. Sometimes it's all you need to get the job done. Not that bigger kits don't have their place and I miss playing my larger kit.
You don't want to look like you can afford a 5 piece kit in Punk.

tripp2k

Reaction score
1 up, 2 down is my preferred setup because of ride cymbal placement.

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You don't want to look like you can afford a 5 piece kit in Punk.
Might be something to that! Hahaha! The other thing that occured to me is you can get a really nice 4 pc for the price of an ok 5,6,or 7 pc.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
1 up! For me, it's strictly about the ride cymbal placement. I'd play an extra rack tom if I could deal with a higher ride placement. But I don't like to keep my arm up in the air.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Jazz drummers don't have the luxury of time to go-
digga-digga-digga-digga-digga-digga-digga-digga-digga-digga-digga-digga-digga-digga-digga-Crash
jOe,

Remember Donnie B?
I went to see him a couple of summers ago and all he used was a 602 flat, a supra and the case it came in (forget what hats he used).
Worked like a champ because he knew how to play the music.

Elvis

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My first kit was a 4-piece so I really cut my teeth with the ride in the traditional position over the bass drum. I usually play 1-up 2dn now but if I do use more up, I always leave the 1st tom in the "normal" spot and go up and over to my left towards the hats and never interfere with the basic 4-piece "heart of the kit" which is ALWAYS there regardless of how many toms I use.

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In the era of boom cymbal stands, the ride placement should not be an issue - not that it ever was with me as I like the ride over my floor tom more than over the bass drum .... I just like 4 piece kits .....

PaulD

Reaction score
Wouldn't two up with the toms on a stand to the left of the bass solve the ride placement? When I started (way back) two up one down was the prevailing norm and the two up were always mounted on the bass.