Two vintage Ludwig Super Classic scores today

Radio King

DFO Master
Reaction score
I really REALLY wasn't setting out to purchase any new drums this year (vintage or otherwise), but I was presented with a combo deal today that I simply couldn't resist. The first set is a single-owner White Marine Pearl Super Classic. Shells are Mahogany/Poplar/Mahogany, and are date stamped Sept 20 and 24, 1966. Apparently, his dad bought them for him in late '66 when he was 14 yo. They are pretty darned immaculate, with almost no yellowing of the wrap. They seem to have been very well cared for. The only mods were a Ludwig center post addition and more modern BD spurs. I think he might've also had the hoops repainted recently; they look great - inlays are intact and perfect. Here's a couple of pics from the consignment store I got them from:

20211011_132700.jpg
245636628_354911649757920_4909155826904003207_1.jpg
246476991_358377852744633_8748149839871161259_1.jpg

The second set is a Maple/Poplar/Maple Super Classic in Black Diamond Pearl, with date stamps of May 10, 13, and 14, 1969. These look great as well, with no shell or wrap issues at all. The two mods on this set are peculiar, however. For some reason, the original owner(?) decided that he preferred to move the mounted tom's internal muffler to the same panel as the badge, so there are 2 tiny holes where the muffler originally was. The BDP hides the original holes well, at least. But the other mod had me scratching my head: he cut out 2 small chunks of the bass drum batter hoop where the pedal would normally attach. It was done by a real woodworker, as it looks clean and smooth, but why?? Nevertheless, they look and sound just great. Both sets sound wonderful. Chrome hardware is superb on both: shiny and pit-free. I am very happy to have lucked into this today and thought I'd share! I'll try to get better pics with my own camera soon.

241935075_335519218363830_7419665571537537861_n.jpg
245367027_354997709749314_884816115829723703_n.jpg
241759572_333472448568507_877416853495371146_n.jpg

Last edited:

kicksnarehat

Reaction score
the other mod had me scratching my head: he cut out 2 small chunks of the bass drum batter hoop where the pedal would normally attach. It was done by a real woodworker, as it looks clean and smooth, but why??
Wild guess: wanted speed king closer to the batter head. Some versions have longer metal rail spacers that prevent the pedal from getting too close, causing an overextended impact angle instead of something more parallel to the head. (I think the goal of those spacers was to prevent the cam from rubbing against it. Other models had shorter metal rails removable rubber bumpers.)

Radio King

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wild guess: wanted speed king closer to the batter head. Some versions have longer metal rail spacers that prevent the pedal from getting too close, causing an overextended impact angle instead of something more parallel to the head. (I think the goal of those spacers was to prevent the cam from rubbing against it. Other models had shorter metal rails removable rubber bumpers.)
I'll bet you are exactly right. The set did come into the shop with a Speed King. Good call!

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really REALLY wasn't setting out to purchase any new drums this year (vintage or otherwise), but I was presented with a combo deal today that I simply couldn't resist. The first set is a single-owner White Marine Pearl Super Classic. Shells are Mahogany/Poplar/Mahogany, and are date stamped Sept 20 and 24, 1966. Apparently, his dad bought them for him in late '66 when he was 14 yo. They are pretty darned immaculate, with almost no yellowing of the wrap. They seem to have been very well cared for. The only mods were a Ludwig center post addition and more modern BD spurs. I think he might've also had the hoops repainted recently; they look great - inlays are intact and perfect. Here's a couple of pics from the consignment store I got them from:

View attachment 523965 View attachment 523966 View attachment 523967

The second set is a Maple/Poplar/Maple Super Classic in Black Diamond Pearl, with date stamps of May 10, 13, and 14, 1969. These look great as well, with no shell or wrap issues at all. The two mods on this set are peculiar, however. For some reason, the original owner(?) decided that he preferred to move the mounted tom's internal muffler to the same panel as the badge, so there are 2 tiny holes where the muffler originally was. The BDP hides the original holes well, at least. But the other mod had me scratching my head: he cut out 2 small chunks of the bass drum batter hoop where the pedal would normally attach. It was done by a real woodworker, as it looks clean and smooth, but why?? Nevertheless, they look and sound just great. Both sets sound wonderful. I am very happy to have lucked into this today and thought I'd share! I'll try to get better pics with my own camera soon.

View attachment 523970 View attachment 523971 View attachment 523972
Very nice! Enjoy!

hawker

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That WMP looks awfully "white" for that age. I had the same kit, bought brand new in '66. But when I sold it about ten years ago it had yellowed substantially. I have never been a smoker but played for thirty-five years in clubs where the smoke was so thick you couldn't see the back of the wall of the room. I'm sure that was the reason all band gear yellowed so badly in those years. Nice catch.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Nice scores. I would probably move those mufflers back to the right location on that BDP set. That is a pretty odd mod. Kind of a shame about the WMP set. I love that colo as it is so classy. I'm sure they both sound great though!

Radio King

DFO Master
Reaction score
That WMP looks awfully "white" for that age. I had the same kit, bought brand new in '66. But when I sold it about ten years ago it had yellowed substantially. I have never been a smoker but played for thirty-five years in clubs where the smoke was so thick you couldn't see the back of the wall of the room. I'm sure that was the reason all band gear yellowed so badly in those years. Nice catch.
Thanks! That was the main appeal of the WMP set for me - the relative cleanness of the drums and lack of substantial yellowing. There is definitely some yellowing, but it's subtle.

20211021_093449.jpg

There's also a slight bit of seam lift on one underside of the BD, but it's nothing I'm worried about. It's likely been that way for years.

20211021_113018.jpg

Radio King

DFO Master
Reaction score
Nice scores. I would probably move those mufflers back to the right location on that BDP set. That is a pretty odd mod. Kind of a shame about the WMP set. I love that colo as it is so classy. I'm sure they both sound great though!
I thought about it, but not sure I'd want two small holes right above the badge. I may just leave it where it is. Actually, it's entirely because of these quirky mods that I was able to get them both so cheap!