Uber good snare drumming.......

mikestand

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I can admire the wrist and finger control and the dynamics and all that, but this kind of thing doesn't sound like drums to me, it sounds like sticks. And all that dancing around, he looks like he has to find a bathroom.

PureRockFury

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting it, but the snobs will come out that don't understand the drum corps activity, or where the brilliant mind of Cook took drum corps to the stage. Only the ignorant don't understand it.

I've seen it on every single drum forum.

It's an insult to me considering the hard work, blood, sweat, tears that I put into my music education through drum corps. If it weren't for marching drum corps from 1993-2005, I wouldn't be the kit player I am today. My chops came from drum corps, however that doesn't mean I ram as many notes into a bar like we do sometimes in drum corps. I'm all groove. I have a greater understanding because of the activity.

Sometimes I would love to see some guys on the various forums carry the 40 pound tenors I carried around. 6, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14 birch drums with die cast hoops, aluminum hardware attaching each drum together, and zinc lug casings. Carrying those for 10+ hours in 100 degree weather is no easy task. Not even close. Day after day after day. Pay close to $2000 to live on a hot bus that has no air conditioning, broken toilet, sleep on gym floors, eat very little, sweat more than you drink.

Until people try it, they have absolutely ZERO right to knock it.

joektoe

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
mikestand said:
Yeah, I can admire the wrist and finger control and the dynamics and all that, but this kind of thing doesn't sound like drums to me, it sounds like sticks. And all that dancing around, he looks like he has to find a bathroom.

Mike I usually enjoy your posts...there are level headed and articulate....but I think you are way off on this one. This is from the bradway show "Blast" an extension of the Indiana Star drum corps from the late 80's and early 90's. IMO this is the is some of the best snare drumming in history. Its creative, musical, and very entertaining. Its not just a Chopsfest over a double bass groove....As far as the "dancing" goes how far is it form Gene Krupas antics....and any thing that a vocal performer does?

Joe

2000dan2000

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This is from the bradway show "Blast" an extension of the Indiana Star drum corps from the late 80's and early 90's.

Aha! Thanks Joe, I was wondering where this came from......I bet that's an incredible show live. And regardless of whether it's Krupa on his kit, a drum corps on stage or some "bum" beating around on buckets down on the corner.....I just love listening to great drumming!

9Lb Tongue

I new this had to be from the early 90's....
what is that guy wearing? Z cavarichies>? :lol:

woodwizard

Reaction score
2000dan2000 said:
Just thought I'd share this with you all, overall great playing, incredible control of dynamics........

That was great, thanks for posting it. Ron

ambadextro

Reaction score
Incredible...I've been a Jeff Queen fan for some time...this stuff is phenomenal...and yes...there is always someone who mocks it or makes light of it...so be it...I always just say...let's see you do it...nuff said...

This was incredible...thanks.

amba

Reaction score
Great hand chops, indeed. The presentation is a bit corny, IMHO. And the main thing that I don't get into with this type of drumming is the sound. The hyper-tight snare sound with no tone just sounds like sticks on a table to my ears. Yes, it allows the articulation but to me it's not very musical sounding. I don't mean anyone offense, it's just my take on it. Lest anyone think I am just a kit guy who doesn't "get it", I paid my dues marching in my school days on quads and snare.

I was just in New Orleans and hung out with the St Augustine marching 100 (Ozo did a clinic at the school) I was happy to hear the drummers playing more wide open-sounding drums. The drum line had a distinctively New Orleans feel to their playing - funky!

mikestand

DFO Master
Reaction score
Just a general observation about criticism. Unless my ears are somehow deficient, and what sounds like sticks to me (or "sticks on a table" as Mario rephrased it) in reality sounds like a full-voiced musical instrument - is anybody claiming it does? - then I'm not way off anything. It's just a preference. And I have as much right to it as anybody else with ears and 40+ years behind the kit - being able to do it isn't a requirement for being able to hear it and understand it and decide if I like it or not.

All props to anybody who has the discipline to master this kind of thing. But a tip: don't take it as an insult if somebody else isn't knocked out by it. The deprivations you endured to achieve it don't add or subtract from its enjoyability.

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
I never, ever marched in any school band. I think the guys in that video are cool as s**t. It's nothing less than spectacular showmanship and accomplished choreography, along with some tight chops.

Latest posts