UFiP Cymbal Diameter

michiganice91

Reaction score
Hi all. I was just wondering, it appears to me that UFIP does not make any cymbals larger than 22" in diameter. Can anyone confirm or deny this and provide an explanation? Thanks

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
I Find That hard to believe; they've been making cymbals since St. Anthony's time ; )

Used to be some good movies of the factory here

and a..have to investigate a little more

Could be roto-cast Molds only go up so far in diameter...
they're not rolled out in sheets then trimmed they're truly "cast"..Diameter may be limited by casting mold.

Last edited:

michiganice91

Reaction score
I Find That hard to believe; they've been making cymbals since St. Anthony's time ; )

Used to be some good movies of the factory here

and a..have to investigate a little more

Could be roto-cast Molds only go up so far in diameter...
they're not rolled out in sheets then trimmed they're truly "cast"..Diameter may be limited by casting mold.
Fair point you make there. The only 24" ufips I've ever seen appear to be pretty old. I would have thought theyd at least go up to 24" in size for modern music. I'm not really aware of anything larger than a 22" currently in production by them unfortunately.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yep, I have read the same thing (I will look for that link as well), that the molds are actually up to 24" but the impurities are pushed outwards by the centrifugal force and then cut away leaving a very pure casting, but only up to 22".

On the other hand, I have to assume you also do not know much about UFiP as well, as they are much heaver than one would expect. A 24" cymbal would be very heavy weight wise based on their running rates. But I agreee, it would be fun to see what it would play and sound like!

Their weights are a strange anomaly in that they are heaver in weight but play under the stick and sound like a much thinner cymbal. My understanding is that the weight is biased in the bell and upper bow leaving the outer bow and edge thinner and thus the audio magic trick. What is driving you to a larger cymbal then thier 22"? Is it just size prefference or have you played a lot of thier cymbals and find them lacking a quality you think would be present in a bigger plate?

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Their weights are a strange anomaly in that they are heaver in weight but play under the stick and sound like a much thinner cymbal.

I'm inclined to go along with this.
For example, my 22" Rough Series at 3296 grams is the heaviest cymbal I own but curiously it plays and sounds way lighter - which is why it's still here (or I'd have flipped it long ago)

Last edited:

CrashBoomPang

Reaction score
I saw a 24" UFIP swish for sale the other day. Interesting regarding impurities in the alloy being pushed towards the edge (post above), as it had a crack cut out..
Not too weird seeing a cracked china, but a swish..?