UFIP Spizz cymbals

Redfern

Reaction score
So, I’ve searched DFO high and low for information on the UFIP Spizz cymbals from the mid to late 1980’s, but am coming up short.

Anyone with any info or that actually has one of these cymbals?

I’m referring to the UFIP B20 hand hammered variety with the Spizz signature black logo on the bottom.

I’m NOT referring to the recent SPIZZ cymbals out of Turkey.

Google image searches result in nada, nor any real info.

I have come across 2 18” crash/rides that I am able to purchase but have no idea of their relative value in today’s market.

thanks for your help

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
there's part of a chapter in the Cymbal Book Hugo Pinksterboer
level 1.2.3.4. e something)lot of info/Antique/Bygone/

Last edited:

Redfern

Reaction score
yeah
there's part of a chapter in the Cymbal Book Hugo Pinksterboer
level 1.2.3.4. e something)lot of info/Antique/Bygone/
yeah, I’ve got the same book, and I’m aware of that information, I’m really looking for more updated information. Such as, anyone on DFO that has any experience with these cymbals? Or anyone on DFO that currently owns one. Or anyone who can speak to the current market value of these cymbals.

Reactions: JDA

Redfern

Reaction score
The one’s I’m privy to look just like this on the bottom. With a black UFIP stamp on the top side.

671EF4BA-9A34-4B3F-8107-7B0A181E7828.jpeg

Reactions: JDA

another_drummer

Reaction score
It does, doesn’t it...til you see it in person. It’s definitely an inked stamp.
Italian 80s were something else in style and design :) Guess these are best played wearing a Fiorucci shirt. Sonically, I would not expect too much despite the signature and I would expect them to be on the meatier side. There is indeed little info and they hardly show up even on the European market. And they might be hard to recognize once the ink stamps have gone off. But if they were somewhat outstanding, guess we would have more info by now.

Here is a 20" for reference:

Spizz 20

Value should be +/- the same as for a Solid Ride 86, which would be around USD 100/150. If I were looking for a Spizzichino without a huge price tag, I would go hunting for one from that series (which consisted of not only rides, but crashes, hats). They tend to show a very nice "Spizzichino"-like wider lathing and there are some great ones out there hidden on European classified ad sites.

Redfern

Reaction score
Italian 80s were something else in style and design :) Guess these are best played wearing a Fiorucci shirt. Sonically, I would not expect too much despite the signature and I would expect them to be on the meatier side. There is indeed little info and they hardly show up even on the European market. And they might be hard to recognize once the ink stamps have gone off. But if they were somewhat outstanding, guess we would have more info by now.

Here is a 20" for reference:

Spizz 20

Value should be +/- the same as for a Solid Ride 86, which would be around USD 100/150. If I were looking for a Spizzichino without a huge price tag, I would go hunting for one from that series (which consisted of not only rides, but crashes, hats). They tend to show a very nice "Spizzichino"-like wider lathing and there are some great ones out there hidden on European classified ad sites.
Thanks for the info AD!

It’s definitely on the meatier side of life.

I may grab 1 of the 2 simply to add to the collection. I’ll post up photos and a video later today.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
what stopped you the price? were they too heavy or too much thin/ crash cymbals.

another_drummer

Reaction score
If they work as an orchestral pair and the price is right, I would buy them. Obviously there is little discussion about his orchestral cymbals here, but they are highly sought after.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Redfern

Reaction score
What I find interesting is the wear pattern and fade of the logo Ink don't coincide with the new shiny appearance and lack of patina and wear on the bronze. Have these been cleaned?
Somebody definitely was a cleaner, of the bar keepers friend variety. Not great for the cymbals or logos.
You could see where the bar keepers friend had gotten into the grain and had begun to corrode and eat away at the cymbal. Not good.

Redfern

Reaction score
If they work as an orchestral pair and the price is right, I would buy them. Obviously there is little discussion about his orchestral cymbals here, but they are highly sought after.
They were definitely an orchestral pair. 18”s that weighed 2kg. You cannot imagine the crash and sustain they had. It was the loudest crash I’ve heard in a closed space. Pricing may have been good. $300 was the asking price for the pair. I was in if they’d been regular crashes or even crash/rides, but somebody else can tame those stallions.

another_drummer

Reaction score
They looked in excellent shape and 300 is a decent price for an orchestral pair of Spizz crashes. Might take some time, but you could pass them to an orchestral percussionist for 1000. You think drummers are gear freaks until you meet an orchestral percussionist.