Ultraphones vs Remote Audio HN-7506

Asher

Reaction score
Has anybody tried both the GK Ultraphones and the Remote Audio HN-7506 isolation headphones? Both use the Sony 7506 drivers. I've had a pair of Ultraphones for many years and I was thinking about picking up another pair when I stumbled on the Remote Audios, which look a bit more robust (not that I've had problems) and professional. The HN-7506s have gel earpads, which I generally prefer over the kind on the Ultraphones, and appear to be made from a David Clark headset that has plentiful replacement parts. I know I won't go wrong with Ultraphones, but I'd love to hear from anyone who has actually tried both sets. Thanks!

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Has anybody tried both the GK Ultraphones and the Remote Audio HN-7506 isolation headphones? Both use the Sony 7506 drivers. I've had a pair of Ultraphones for many years and I was thinking about picking up another pair when I stumbled on the Remote Audios, which look a bit more robust (not that I've had problems) and professional. The HN-7506s have gel earpads, which I generally prefer over the kind on the Ultraphones, and appear to be made from a David Clark headset that has plentiful replacement parts. I know I won't go wrong with Ultraphones, but I'd love to hear from anyone who has actually tried both sets. Thanks!
I'm very happy with my GK Ultraphones. They claim 29db of passive noise attenuation and, as you know, they do provide outstanding isolation/hearing protection, and the sound quality is very good. I have not tried the Remotes, but, before buying the Ultraphones I shopped around and tried out several other models. One claimed as much as 39db of passive noise attenuation, but, none actually came close to the isolation of the Ultraphones.

So, I'm a bit skeptical when the Remote website claims 45db of noise attenuation. (I presume passive attenuation, but, it doesn't specify). Looking at the Remotes, the ear muffs don't look as robust as the Ultraphones to me. The Ultra muffs are very deep, seal well around my ears, and nothing touches my ears. There have also been reports of the gel leaking from the Remote ear muff pads.

The Remotes are even more expensive than the Ultra's. If you can, try before you buy.

owr

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Slight hijack, but so many folks stating how good their ultraphones sound. I picked up a pair some months back based on recommendations here. The isolation is incredible, but the audio is quite muddy. Cheap ipod ear buds "sound" better. I also have a standard pair of Sony 7506s, have had them for 20 years and use them for hours everyday. The ultraphones sound nothing like these. I'm wondering if my pair has something wrong with them.

Asher

Reaction score
Slight hijack, but so many folks stating how good their ultraphones sound. I picked up a pair some months back based on recommendations here. The isolation is incredible, but the audio is quite muddy. Cheap ipod ear buds "sound" better. I also have a standard pair of Sony 7506s, have had them for 20 years and use them for hours everyday. The ultraphones sound nothing like these. I'm wondering if my pair has something wrong with them.
I don't think Ultraphones sound great, but that's the nature of a very closed headphone. (I don't care for 7506s personally either, but the Ultraphones are noticeably muddier.) Ultraphones are great for tracking, and miles ahead of my old EX-29 headphones, but I'd never sit and listen to music for enjoyment on them unless I happened to be in the middle of an artillery range. For drumming, I want *great* isolation and decent audio; I don't think great audio is even possible in such a design. I have in-ears too, and they sound pretty good on their own, but they don't match the isolation of the Ultraphones.

My favorite headphones are all open backed: Senn HD6xx, Beyerdynamic DT880, etc. When I need to avoid bothering others I'll use my DT770s, but even those are a compromise.

Reactions: owr

tomo221

Reaction score
+1.

I was very displeased with the audio quality of the Ultraphones when I bought them a few years ago. Quite muddy. I also wondered if something was wrong with my pair too, but I sold them to a friend who didn't seem bothered by the sound at all, so I never investigated it further. I inevitably ended up making my own pair of iso headphones for far less money and they sound 100x better.

Reactions: owr

owr

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys, appreciate it. Mostly I was just trying to figure out if there is something wrong with my pair. For isolation purposes and tracking (especially along to a click/loop) they are a game changer. I'm just stubborn about accepting the reality that I will need to have 2 pairs of head-phones in my little studio, the ultraphones for tracking and another pair for listening to the mix after with a critical ear. Not surprised the physics make it it difficult/impossible to do both.

zenghost

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My recommendation is a high-quality set of earbuds and couple those with dedicated high-NRR earmuffs - simple and cost-effective solution (depending on how much you invest in earbuds) that affords you greater flexibility with additional uses for both elements outside the practice room/booth if you like.

dcrigger

DFO Star
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys, appreciate it. Mostly I was just trying to figure out if there is something wrong with my pair. For isolation purposes and tracking (especially along to a click/loop) they are a game changer. I'm just stubborn about accepting the reality that I will need to have 2 pairs of head-phones in my little studio, the ultraphones for tracking and another pair for listening to the mix after with a critical ear. Not surprised the physics make it it difficult/impossible to do both.
Oh absolutely - I wouldn't think of using my isolation phones for everything.