Un-aired Buddy Rich tv show on PBS

CSR

Member since May 2000
Reaction score
"The Best of the Buddy Rich Show" on June 10

A collection of the best of big band performances with the legendary drummer recorded in 1982, but never broadcast or edited. Three programs were filmed at New York City’s venerable Statler Hilton Hotel, each featuring Buddy Rich and his band with special guests: Ray Charles, Woody Herman, Lionel Hampton, Stan Getz, Gerry Mulligan, and Mel Torme.
Monday, June 10, at 11:30 p.m. on Nine PBS.

This is being aired tomorrow night (Sunday, June 1) on WNEDDT (western New York) 8:30-10:30 pm and re-broadcast a day later. Check your local PBS station over the next week or so.

CSR

Member since May 2000
Reaction score
I watched it tonight. A good show with lots of closeups on Buddy. He’s using the Ludwigs (1982), and it shows Buddy in the usually not seen role as sideman playing tastefully behind Ray Charles and Lionel Hampton. I wonder who the young drummer is who sits in on Buddy’s set when he is not playing? Anyone know?

piccupstix

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm confused. This is the show Drumchannel has been trying to raise funds for in order to make available for purchase. They say they need lots of $$ to pay for songwriter's fees or whatever. Now, it's being shown on PBS already??

We need to organize a "PBS watch" to alert all the different areas and time zones as to it's airing, which is confusing enough!

retrosonic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I watched it tonight. A good show with lots of closeups on Buddy. He’s using the Ludwigs (1982), and it shows Buddy in the usually not seen role as sideman playing tastefully behind Ray Charles and Lionel Hampton. I wonder who the young drummer is who sits in on Buddy’s set when he is not playing? Anyone know?

I'm guessing the young drummer could be Donnie Osborne, who was a protege of Buddy's and was one of the few young drummers Buddy raved about.

cozy4ever

Reaction score
Thanks! :thumbleft::thumbleft:

Even as a hard rock drummer I love Buddy and watch him every chance I get. Even my kit is a vintage Slingerland all bc of him.

Joe A

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm confused. This is the show Drumchannel has been trying to raise funds for in order to make available for purchase. They say they need lots of $$ to pay for songwriter's fees or whatever. Now, it's being shown on PBS already??

We need to organize a "PBS watch" to alert all the different areas and time zones as to it's airing, which is confusing enough!
Public broadcasting loophole? I'm not immediately sure. I'd contribute for the UNEDITED footage; I don't want to see it gone over almost 40 years after the fact, with new minds deciding what's relevant. I'd much rather put up with the wild camera zooms and pans, Buddy picking his nose with his stick, and other ephemera than that.

Aside from that, this seems like a "dead stroke" period for him. I've always enjoyed the clips of him from this time.

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Reaction score
For those of us who do not have a television, if it's possible somehow [legally?] for someone to post it here that would be most appreciated.

Stretch

hawker

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Donnie Osborne was Mel Torme's drummer for many years, probably him. He is also the son of the former President of Slingerland, Don Osborne. He was a Buddy clone...and I say that with total respect. He was an incredible drummer in his own right, but a huge admirer of Buddy and played the same exact set-up. Except it wasn't Ludwig. :)