Unbelievable

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
YIKES! A lot of work has gone into that kind of performance…dam!

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched Samus' reaction to this yesterday.

If drumming were a sport, this guy would be an Olympian!

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
First thing I wondered is if he studied with Mangini and he did. That would explain where the technique comes from but not the speed. Even if you have the technique down, most people can't go that fast.

I can go very fast with no technique at all by tensing up my wrist and fingers until they vibrate almost involuntarily. It doesn't feel or even sound good though and I'm still not that fast compared to Merlini.

The truth is I never need to go that fast although it would be fun!

Loud

Reaction score
First thing I wondered is if he studied with Mangini and he did. That would explain where the technique comes from but not the speed. Even if you have the technique down, most people can't go that fast.

I can go very fast with no technique at all by tensing up my wrist and fingers until they vibrate almost involuntarily. It doesn't feel or even sound good though and I'm still not that fast compared to Merlini.

The truth is I never need to go that fast although it would be fun!
His ghost note video gives away two of his techniques. His ghost note technique is similar to yours.

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This is a technique that I've actually been working on with the practice pad for maybe a year now, really as a grip/conditioning technique I picked up from Rob Brown's technique video, one of them.

No wrists, all (for me) index and ring finger. I really wanted to use it to strengthen my off-hand grip technique and it's been working. I can't do it that fast but I can approach it. Consistency, another story but I noticed in his 40 seconds at 300bpm segment that his accuracy drifts a couple of times, they start to flam a little then he gets it back. That's been my biggest issue is the flamming or drifting off into it then correcting.

notINtheband

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Is he using oak sticks too?!?
Anyone who knows about motorcycle engines knows that heavy things don’t like to change direction quickly.
So if he is using oak sticks (I use them and often tell myself it’s why my singles are slower that I’d like..) then I can only imagine what he could do with a lighter hardwood.
It’s a small thing, but Dayum! Impressive.

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Is he running a Triple Rec through a Fender combo? If so, is that weird or is there something I'm missing?