Undecided between these two kits, please help me decide

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
I asked which kit to buy, not where or if used or new.
FYI, Chris Whitten is a world class drummer offering you some reasonable advice. It’s understandable if you only want a new drumset. But, the drums you posted are entry level drums, and with some vigilant searching, you can usually find used mid level or even pro level used drums for only a little more money. Just a thought.

Last edited:

Piggpenn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
FYI, Chris Whitten is a world class drummer offering you some reasonable advice. It’s understandable if you only want a new drumset. But, the drums you posted are entry level drums, and with some vigilant searching, you can usually find used mid level or even pro level used drums for only a little more money. Just a thought.
Compelling theory and right on!

We are going to totally confuse the poor guy. LOL

underratedcowbell

Reaction score
This is true for US market. Not so true for the european market where he lives!

Ox Han

Reaction score
I will care. If they made that as an option, fine. Plus, not using the riser does not make it go away. It's still there, even if I remove it, holes are there, and it's extra work I should not have to endure. I came close to purchasing one of their Frequent Flyer kits until I spotted that. Not for me. Oh, and the stupid perforated head on the BD reso side (of the FF kit) was another reason.
The frequent flyer kits do not have a notched out bass hoop and don't need a riser as it's a 20". I don't think the FF kits ever came w/ an 18, but I might have missed that years ago when they first came out

OP - I don't know which kit is better here, but I'd prefer a 20" kick because it does so much. Yamaha (stage custom & hip gig) and tama (neo mod & starclassic) both make affordable kits with a 20 bass drum. I'd probably go for neo mod since the shells aren't quite as shallow and it's a good price

YMMV

Ox Han

Reaction score
I'd also recommend buying used. Some great kits out there on the 2nd hand market for a fraction of their new price. Most new drums do not hold value and used sets are usually a buyers market

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
The frequent flyer kits do not have a notched out bass hoop and don't need a riser as it's a 20". I don't think the FF kits ever came w/ an 18, but I might have missed that years ago when they first came out

OP - I don't know which kit is better here, but I'd prefer a 20" kick because it does so much. Yamaha (stage custom & hip gig) and tama (neo mod & starclassic) both make affordable kits with a 20 bass drum. I'd probably go for neo mod since the shells aren't quite as shallow and it's a good price

YMMV
They did make an 18 and even a 16. I almost snagged one. Speaking of the Neo Mod, I had one in my "cart" until I discovered that the bass drum post is fixed. Does not even go through the shell. Talk about a buzz kill (for me). I just know that I would never get that rack tom low enough with such a stupid design.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have a preference on the color? If you are thinking about add-ons the black might be easier to match even from other brands.
So true, so true! Black goes with everything. One of my most gigged kits was Recording Custom toms with Rock Tour Custom bass drums back in the early 90s. Snare was a pair of Black powder-coated Supras.

Whitten

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is true for US market. Not so true for the european market where he lives!
Maybe it's tough in Italy. In the UK, and I suspect Germany, Netherlands etc, there is a huge choice in top quality kits used. If you are on the fence about brands, shell colour etc, it makes no sense to buy an entry level new kit when you can buy a pro level used kit from 5 - 10 years ago.
The last time I bought a new kit was about 1983 and I've had several used kits since then, including Camco, Premier and Pork Pie.

underratedcowbell

Reaction score
Maybe it's tough in Italy. In the UK, and I suspect Germany, Netherlands etc, there is a huge choice in top quality kits used. If you are on the fence about brands, shell colour etc, it makes no sense to buy an entry level new kit when you can buy a pro level used kit from 5 - 10 years ago.
The last time I bought a new kit was about 1983 and I've had several used kits since then, including Camco, Premier and Pork Pie.
Hypercaffium should comment on that better than I, but I suspect that in Italy, as here in Portugal, second-hand market is not that great (prices are high and quality kits don't apper that often). I've lived in the Netherlands, Sweden and Denmark and 2nd market there is also very scarce. I agree that in the UK and maybe germany market is a lot better, but nowadays with all the Brexit confusion is a tough blow to try to bring a kit from the Uk to Italy or for that matter to any other country in Europe!

Hypercaffium

Reaction score
First of all, thanks a lot for your suggestions. You really helped me decide what was best for me.
I decided to take a step back and re-think everything. I initially narrowed the list to the two "Bop" models I posted because I was a little bit worried about the size of the kit. I didn't want a micro kit nor a full sized one, so I kinda found something in the middle and asked for opinions. Yesterday I've finally found a solution, so size isn't a problem anymore. I prefer to have a Rock kit because that's the music I play for the most part. I also thought that considering the used market local scene (I'll explain that later) it would be better to get a cheaper but still decent kit now and maybe upgrade later, when I'll be able to actually PLAY drums and do gigs. I'm a student, I started playing on January and go to a drum school 1/2 times per week.
So... I just ordered this kit from Thomann:
14394059_800.jpg

• 22" x 18" Bass drum
  • 12" x 09" Tom tom
  • 16" x 14" Floor tom
  • 14" x 6.5" Snare drum
It's definitely more suited to my style, I like the color and it's easier to mix with other brands, it perfectly matches with my DW 7000 hi-hat and double pedals and it's cheaper. Maybe quality is not equal to the other models I posted, but these PDP Spectrum kits have good reviews and sound good to my ears. For a beginner like me, I think it's a good choice. I can always upgrade parts, sell the kit, or keep it with L80 and mesh heads just for home practice. In the future I'll keep an eye on used pro kits, I'm pretty sure I can get some help from my teacher and other students.

@Whitten the used market scene here in Italy is not very... vibrant. I live in a big city and rarely found good deals locally. Most of the times you must buy blindly or take a trip to a different area, which I can't do at the moment. It wasn't good before, with Covid is even worse. To be 100% honest with you, I visited at least 3/4 big local shops before even looking online, and I've found absolutely NOTHING (literaly). Local shops are dying, local market is dying. I'm sorry to say this but it's the truth.

Last edited:

Piggpenn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
First of all, thanks a lot for your suggestions. You really helped me decide what was best for me.
I decided to take a step back and re-think everything. I initially narrowed the list to the two "Bop" models I posted because I was a little bit worried about the size of the kit. I didn't want a micro kit nor a full sized one, so I kinda found something in the middle and asked for opinions. Yesterday I've finally found a solution, so size isn't a problem anymore. I prefer to have a Rock kit because that's the music I play for the most part. I also thought that considering the used market local scene (I'll explain that later) it would be better to get a cheaper but still decent kit now and maybe upgrade later, when I'll be able to actually PLAY drums and do gigs. I'm a student, I started playing on January and go to a drum school 1/2 times per week.
So... I just ordered this kit from Thomann:
View attachment 523645

• 22" x 18" Bass drum
  • 12" x 09" Tom tom
  • 16" x 14" Floor tom
  • 14" x 6.5" Snare drum
It's definitely more suited to my style, I like the color and it's easier to mix with other brands, it perfectly matches with my DW 7000 hi-hat and double pedals and it's cheaper. Maybe quality is not equal to the other models I posted, but these PDP Spectrum kits have good reviews and sound good to my ears. For a beginner like me, I think it's a good choice. I can always upgrade parts, sell the kit, or keep it with L80 and mesh heads just for home practice. In the future I'll keep an eye on used pro kits, I'm pretty sure I can get some help from my teacher and other students.

@Whitten the used market scene here in Italy is not very... vibrant. I live in a big city and rarely found good deals locally. Most of the times you must buy blindly or take a trip to a different area, which I can't do at the moment. It wasn't good before, with Covid is even worse. To be 100% honest with you, I visited at least 3/4 big local shops before even looking online, and I've found absolutely NOTHING (literaly). Local shops are dying, local market is dying. I'm sorry to say this but it's the truth.

WTG!!!!!!!!!