Undecided between these two kits, please help me decide

Hypercaffium

Reaction score
While I'm waiting for the kit to arrive I'm setting up my L80 cymbals. I also replaced the Remo Silentstroke on my 14'' snare with an RTOM LV mesh head and it's way louder, much more defined, with more realistic rebound and it's a better match with the cymbals in terms of volume balance. I must say my snare is maybe too loud for apartment practice, I'll see how it goes in the next days. It's a Yamaha SC steel, so it's a little bit loud by itself. I will also do some tests with the PDP snare.

Ox Han

Reaction score
While I'm waiting for the kit to arrive I'm setting up my L80 cymbals. I also replaced the Remo Silentstroke on my 14'' snare with an RTOM LV mesh head and it's way louder, much more defined, with more realistic rebound and it's a better match with the cymbals in terms of volume balance. I must say my snare is maybe too loud for apartment practice, I'll see how it goes in the next days. It's a Yamaha SC steel, so it's a little bit loud by itself. I will also do some tests with the PDP snare.
No secret I much prefer the RTOM black holes over the silentstroke. No need to change heads with the black holes and they have a better “tone” and feel

Hypercaffium

Reaction score
I have juts the mesh head, not the Blackhole, but the tone of the snare is amazing. Unfortunately it's a little bit too loud imho, but you can't have both decent tone and low volume I guess. I should try a Silentstroke with a patch or some duct tape to get the exact volume I want. Anyway, better to have a loud snare and play it carefully instead of having a completely dead sounding muffled snare and hit it hard. I can also try a different snare or different wires to make it less snappy.

Reactions: 017

Piggpenn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have juts the mesh head, not the Blackhole, but the tone of the snare is amazing. Unfortunately it's a little bit too loud imho, but you can't have both decent tone and low volume I guess. I should try a Silentstroke with a patch or some duct tape to get the exact volume I want. Anyway, better to have a loud snare and play it carefully instead of having a completely dead sounding muffled snare and hit it hard. I can also try a different snare or different wires to make it less snappy.
Try laying a hand towel on the head or something that will at least stay on. That should tone it down a bunch without losing much rebound.

Sonar Dave

Reaction score
"...The only thing the Yamaha has over the Tama, is the better tom mount system" I beg to disagree - strongly. I have the Silverstar version of the Tama you're considering (birch vs maple shells for the Superstar), which is a lower line than the Superstar and they both have Tama's Star suspension system whose single tom post can convert to also support a cymbal or second tom or cowbell or anything else that fits on an L-arm. The Yamaha tom has a mount that's bolted onto the shell; nodal point or no, it's not as effective as a suspension system, and the Yamaha single post is simply that - a single post. Unless, of course, you want to slap a multiclamp on it or replace the one that comes with the kit with either Yamaha's double or triple post at additional cost. (And Yamaha parts are not cheap.)

As has been said, either one is fine, but I lean towards the Tama. I've played the beans out of mine, both in jazz and rock bands, and it's as dependable as the sun rising in the east. Just my perspective.

In rock mode:

View attachment 523516

Jazzbo:

View attachment 523517
I like that bass drum head.

Ox Han

Reaction score
Silentstroke heads work. I’m thinking more about the pain of needing to change heads to do regular band practice/play shows/record.

Considering you’re a beginner, you won’t be switching out heads for regular ones for a while. If you start playing in a band or recording, have a look at the black holes if changing heads becomes annoying.

Hope you have fun and progress as fast as you desire

nmosko

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
tama tama tama tama tama tama tama!!!!

i like the black finish better, but as far as drum quality/sound i'd def go tama! thats just me!!! I've never heard a bad tama drum. ever!

Hypercaffium

Reaction score
Try laying a hand towel on the head or something that will at least stay on. That should tone it down a bunch without losing much rebound.
I tried with a towel and a little weight and it reduced the volume a little bit, but I did loose the best part of those heads which is the patch. I'll keep the head and try again for sure, the tone is really good.

Silentstroke heads work. I’m thinking more about the pain of needing to change heads to do regular band practice/play shows/record.
Considering you’re a beginner, you won’t be switching out heads for regular ones for a while. If you start playing in a band or recording, have a look at the black holes if changing heads becomes annoying.
Hope you have fun and progress as fast as you desire
I can change and tune those heads very quickly, don't worry about that. Anyway, I put the Silentstroke back and it seems to work better with the cymbals, I'm surprised. RTOM LV sounds way better but it's too loud imho.

Hypercaffium

Reaction score
The kit should arrive this afternoon, as well as the Remo Silentstroke heads. Can you please tell me how to tune resonant heads?
I guess I should tune all of them pretty tight to have a good sound? No difference between snare, tom, floor tom and kick drum?
Top (mesh) heads don't make a difference in sound, only in tension and rebound. I guess I should have tom, floor tom and kick drum a little bitt looser than the snare to have some realistic feel?
Thanks.

Slingwig26

Reaction score
Buy the Tama.
Sell the Yamaha snare.
The Tama bass has 8 lugs per side instead of 6 which will tune better.
The Tama is maple and Yamaha is birch. I don't know if that matters to you.
Good Luck either way, both are fine, but I would lean towards the Tama. (and I am more of a Yamaha guy.) [80's Recording Series and Tour Series]

Mack2

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm ready to buy my first acoustic kit. I will use it mainly for home practice with L80 cymbals and silent/low volume heads (RTOM LV or Remo Silentstroke), but I'd like to use it also for small gigs, jams with friends etc. I must say I'm not a Jazz guy and play mostly rock, but I wanted something compact and portable and I prefer the 1 up 2 down configuration.

Kit 1:

View attachment 523500

Kit 2:
View attachment 523501
I like both and would buy both, to be honest. Aesthetically speaking, I prefer the Tama. It looks more "rocky" despite the Jazz setup. The Yamaha is a little bit cheaper and doesn't include a snare (which I have, and it's a 14'' Stage Custom steel). Please let me know what you guys think.
Thanks.
Both are nice kits. I would personally lean towards birch wood given situation described. So one vote for Yamaha SC in this instance.

kzac

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm ready to buy my first acoustic kit. I will use it mainly for home practice with L80 cymbals and silent/low volume heads (RTOM LV or Remo Silentstroke), but I'd like to use it also for small gigs, jams with friends etc. I must say I'm not a Jazz guy and play mostly rock, but I wanted something compact and portable and I prefer the 1 up 2 down configuration.

Kit 1:

View attachment 523500

Kit 2:
View attachment 523501
I like both and would buy both, to be honest. Aesthetically speaking, I prefer the Tama. It looks more "rocky" despite the Jazz setup. The Yamaha is a little bit cheaper and doesn't include a snare (which I have, and it's a 14'' Stage Custom steel). Please let me know what you guys think.
Thanks.
I use the L 80 cymbals and a small kit with mesh heads to practice as well. I like that approach better than using electronic drums, because it keeps your muscle memory intact moving around the kit. My advice as to which kit to select would be the Yamaha stage custom bop if you have quite a bit of room to place the kit. If you don't I would suggest you consider a set of used Manu Katché (3 pc). That is what I use and it takes up considerably less space. So much so, they easily fit into your bedroom. Calling out for you to play them... They are not 100% silent, but you can talk over them easily. Close the door to the room they are located in and you can't hear them down the hallway. They don't interrupt others in the home watching TV, playing games, or downstairs in another room. Your neighbors will definitely love them.

I initially purchased the L80 cymbals myself, but if I had to do it all over again, I would purchase the low volume sets that come with more cymbals for about the same price. I like the Zildjian pack but the 16in does not really have a good crash sound.... that I like. The ride and high hats are just fine however.

As far as mesh heads go, the Pearl heads are the best of the lot in my opinion. I have tried many other mesh heads but the pearl seem to last much longer and produce more tom tone than the others. You will however find yourself tightening the heads often, that is just a characteristic of mesh heads. Also the snare takes some practice to get it right. Use a soft bass drum beater as the hard felt beaters will damage a mesh bass head within 9mo (if you play quite a bit). Adding a pad to the Bass drum head doesn't work either, as then you just get a pad sound... Finally, the mesh heads don't silence rim shots.

Monday317

Reaction score
First of all, thanks a lot for your suggestions. You really helped me decide what was best for me.
I decided to take a step back and re-think everything. I initially narrowed the list to the two "Bop" models I posted because I was a little bit worried about the size of the kit. I didn't want a micro kit nor a full sized one, so I kinda found something in the middle and asked for opinions. Yesterday I've finally found a solution, so size isn't a problem anymore. I prefer to have a Rock kit because that's the music I play for the most part. I also thought that considering the used market local scene (I'll explain that later) it would be better to get a cheaper but still decent kit now and maybe upgrade later, when I'll be able to actually PLAY drums and do gigs. I'm a student, I started playing on January and go to a drum school 1/2 times per week.
So... I just ordered this kit from Thomann:
View attachment 523645

• 22" x 18" Bass drum
  • 12" x 09" Tom tom
  • 16" x 14" Floor tom
  • 14" x 6.5" Snare drum
It's definitely more suited to my style, I like the color and it's easier to mix with other brands, it perfectly matches with my DW 7000 hi-hat and double pedals and it's cheaper. Maybe quality is not equal to the other models I posted, but these PDP Spectrum kits have good reviews and sound good to my ears. For a beginner like me, I think it's a good choice. I can always upgrade parts, sell the kit, or keep it with L80 and mesh heads just for home practice. In the future I'll keep an eye on used pro kits, I'm pretty sure I can get some help from my teacher and other students.

@Whitten the used market scene here in Italy is not very... vibrant. I live in a big city and rarely found good deals locally. Most of the times you must buy blindly or take a trip to a different area, which I can't do at the moment. It wasn't good before, with Covid is even worse. To be 100% honest with you, I visited at least 3/4 big local shops before even looking online, and I've found absolutely NOTHING (literaly). Local shops are dying, local market is dying. I'm sorry to say this but it's the truth.
If you are happy, you’re getting the right kit! Enjoy!