Under sized shells

wackjob

Reaction score
Hey. I own a 90's premier genista and they have 6mm under sized shells to help with better tuning. I can't find a 16" ft anywhere at the moment so was thinking of finding an old battered premier birch tom, stripping the finish, recutting the bearing edges and applying my own finish to match as best i can with what i have already got.

Does any one know which premier ranges used good quality under sized birch shells ? From 70's, 80's & 90's ?

Many thanks, Stu

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think that would be too much trouble and probably cost too. I would just find another Genista kit with a 16" ft. I would think they are quite a few kits in the U.K. No ?

I don't think any other Premier kit had undersized birch shells. From what I remember all XPK and related lower line drums had regular diameter shells but I might be wrong.

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The birch shells prior to the Genista were not undersized so there really isn’t anything comparable in previous lines. Not sure what the specs were on the later “Premier” series and import “Elite” line that replaced them (those series with the ugly “toung” lugs).

What finish are you trying to match? Genista floor toms can be tricky to find but they’re worth it. Took me almost 5 years to track down the 18” to match my Damask Red kit.

charlesm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Fwiw, I actually do recall '90s XPK and APK shells being at least fairly undersized...more than standard. But, I don't know if it was to the same stark degree as Signia/Genista. I don't think so.

wackjob

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies you guys.

Looks like i will have to wait for a genista 16" in terraverdi green. Found a three piece kit on facebook in the scottish highlands but its too far away, over priced and i dont need the rest of the drums.

Looks like i might have a bit of a wait to find one. I did consider buying a natal 16" ft which come in green just to tide me over until i find one. It wont match completely but colour is similar. Only other option is to get one custom made but it wont be under sized and the lugs wont match.

The under sized shells (6mm) is said to make them easier to tune as the bearing edge is completely on the flat part of the head and away from the collar. Might be all bollox though.

Stu

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
LA Camco's , Sonor teardrop 3 plies have legendary sustain largely because of the undersized shells . Pearl actually manufactured a series of what they called ' extender ' shells for this reason .

Frank Godiva

Reaction score
All German made Sonor drums are undersized to this day across all lines back to the Teardrops

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Hey. I own a 90's premier genista and they have 6mm under sized shells to help with better tuning. I can't find a 16" ft anywhere at the moment so was thinking of finding an old battered premier birch tom, stripping the finish, recutting the bearing edges and applying my own finish to match as best i can with what i have already got.

Does any one know which premier ranges used good quality under sized birch shells ? From 70's, 80's & 90's ?

Many thanks, Stu
Artist Birch was the Genista layup, but the wood wasn't quite as nice and they used a very generic sharp edged double 45 bearing edge.
Does that make it a bad drum? No, of course not. Fit and finish were very good.
The sound is (mostly) there. Should work until you get an actual 16" Genista floor tom.
...btw. when I sold Premier in the late 90's, ALL of their shells were undersized (except Olympic), so if that aspect concerns you, don't worry, it's ok.

Elvis

Last edited:

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hold out for the real Genista. My 16" floor shakes the pictures off the walls.
I also have Artist Birch and concur with Elvis. I wonder if you might be able to sort of match with that British Racing Green in the AB line. Not the same animal, but in the ballpark.

Dan