Underrated drummers

RayB

Reaction score
Too many to mention, and as time goes by seems like great drummers from 30's and 40's are forgotten. But to be a little more current:
Bobby Gregg
He was the drummer on the first few albums Bob Dylan made with a backing band. At the time, it was quite a controversy when Dylan went from "folk" to "rock". Bobby Gregg was an accomplished studio musician who he did a great job with Dylan. He's the drummer on "Highway 61 Revisited", including the all-time great cut, "Like a Rolling Stone."
For some reason, Bobby Gregg is never mentioned when discussing Dylan's 60's output. Dylan recorded some great music with the Band back then (not released at the time), and it goes without saying how great Levon Helm was on drums.
But Bobby Gregg played great with Dylan and IMHO remains a very underrated drummer.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Dan,
I have recently re-discovered Dennis Byron's incredible playing with the Bee Gees. The man had an incredible groove, sound, feel, and plenty of super hip chops that fit the music perfectly without ever sounding busy. His hi-hat barks in the middle of fills are sublime. The Bee Gees could have had anybody throughout that peak era of their career and they chose Dennis Byron. That says a lot of the man's talent to get the job done. Also, not to be forgotten...how about Maurice Gibb's incredible bass playing on those records? Most people either don't know or have forgotten that he played bass on all of those masterful records through about 1980-ish. How did he learn how to play like that? Anyway, with the new Bee Gees documentary on HBO, I have come away with a newfound appreciation for this incredible rhythm section: Dennis Byron/Maurice Gibb. Check it out!
There is SO MUCH space in the bassline for Night Fever! Maurice just kills it. The string arrangement changes from chorus to chorus, too. The whole track is a masterpiece. The multitracks(in low quality) used to be all over the web. One of my favorite parts is the low piano notes during the bridge; sounded like the compressor was set to "stun"!

Dan

Bonzo442

Reaction score
Seeing a drummer live can and usually does change your perspective if you’ve only heard recordings

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes, a million times yes to Dennis Byron's masterful groove playing. My favorite from that era is Nights on Broadway. Just a monster track. That guy had swagger up the wazoo.
You are 100% correct! Dennis Byron's groove on "Nights on Broadway" and his licks are just fantastic! Thanks for bringing up this great tune!

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Brad Wilk!
I've only recently realised how big of an influence he's had on my playing: I used to steal my older sisters RATM CD's (remember those?) as a kid; and Audioslave released their first two albums when I was still a teenager, and kept myself up to date with new music. So I have listened to him a lot during my formative years.
I've been on an Audioslave kick lately, especially Out Of Exile. And it's remarkable to me that listening to that album, I don't get to thinking about how I would have played the song differently, as I often do. Instead I just sink into his pocket.

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
I think most professional drummers/percussionists are underrated. Those less popular acts that are out there paying their dues are playing all the time, and so many are super talented. Very few make it big, however.

langmick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just watched the Bee Gees documentary. Very nostalgic, I was a kid in the 70s. They wrote some massive songs, in and out of the BGs. But it was nteresting to see how they had a *band* with them, and stuck with live instruments, other than that loop. :)
Byron's drumming has a swing and he can play those dotted 16ths and make it really kick. I think I'll be on a Bee Gees kick myself.

Googled who played on Andy Gibb's records. Ron "Tubby" Zeigler. Wild.

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
James Bradley Jr from Chuck Magione.
Up and comer back in the late 70's and pretty much gone in the millennium.

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Brad Wilk!
Good one
I heard him with RATM at Coachella in 2007. He and Commerford have one of the fattest, thickest grooves you can imagine. Their time feel together was relentless. Right out of the Bonham tradition. So great.

Last edited:

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Good one
I heard him with RATM at Cocella in 2007. He and Commerford have one of the fattest, thickest grooves you can imagine. Their time feel together was relentless. Right out of the Bonham tradition. So great.
I was supposed to see RATM for the first time at Lollalooza Berlin last year. It didn't happen :(

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've discovered George Sluppick through interviews with other musicians where his name was mentioned a few times. Today I've stumbled on an episode of The Working Drummer's podcast and he's interviewed by Zack Albetta (another great drummer in his own right). So I've decided to hear what Sluppick's dealio was. Not much is available on YT but here's a jem of a groove that IMO is top shelf greasy pocket.

GiveMeYourSmallestSticks!

Reaction score
Bill Gibson from Huey Lewis and the News - what a groove he has
Terry Chambers - original drummer for XTC
Don Brewer from Grand Funk Railroad - one of my original inspirations along with
Ian Paice - Deep Purple
+1 for Jon Farris and Prairie Prince
Johnny "Vatos" Hernandez from Oingo Boingo
Brendan Hill from Blues Traveler - the way he lays back on the snare on "Hook" is amazing. Great player.
Graham Lear played with Santana from '76 to '84. His work on Moon Flower album is pretty cool.
Ricky Fataar with Bonnie Raitt, but I noticed him on Boz Scaggs' Come on Home album - Fat Groove!
Fataar also played one a few Beach Boys albums FWIW.

311Club

Reaction score
Huub Janssen, best ever in my book as far as technique goes:

Alan Dawson, Tony Oxley in addition to all the greats mentioned before

GiveMeYourSmallestSticks!

Reaction score
Well, I wasn't sure if he's considered underrated or not, but after 7 pages his name hasn't been mentioned. I'm talking about Nashville studio legend Kenny Buttrey. He played with Dylan, Young, Kristofferson, Baez, the Beau Brummels, Pearls Before Swine and many many more. His playing was fantastic, and always served the song first. Must be why he was the first choice for so many singer/songwriters.