Unicorn Gear Purchase?

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not much of a Unicorn, because the world supply is high. But price has always kept me from a Black Beauty.
For those who own multiple variations, When the time comes (and it will) which Black Beauty is THE one to own?
I consider an affordable modern BB to be a unicorn of sorts.

IMO the 6.5 smooth shell is the quintessential version of that drum.

pedro navahas

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have owned most of the kits I have wanted over the years . I have been thinking on going back to my roots and getting a Gretsch USA Custom kit . This was the first pro level kit I bought with my own money back in 1978 when I was 17 .

I decided to order a 20/12/14 Gretsch USA Custom kit in the newly introduced Caribbean Twilight finish ( I decide on the satin version). The order has been placed and the wait has begun .

A couple weeks back I fell into a deal for a Gretsch USA Custom Bop kit in silver glass wrap that was just way too good to pass up . I bought it and played it for the first time at my gig this afternoon and I love it .
View attachment 518313 View attachment 518314

Really nice choice on that Gretsch kit, that finish looks great!

pedro navahas

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm up against wanting a (extremely hard to find (and afford) esp. used)... USA 8/16 L 6.5 wood finish or pearl covered Gretsch snare drum but deep down know I'd like the 5X14 I already use and own as much.... if not more. That's about it all that's left on the drum front; and the two 6.5 WFL's I own - altho a different sound/feel- will continue to have to do stand in for a Gretsch 6.5 (totally different great in their own right drum I know)

But just once ..for a month... I'd like a 6.5 (not 8X14).. usa wood snare, Gretsch in my possession..
to check off the bucket list card.
And I refuse to pay what they ask for them.

It has to be a miracle
Send me a pm

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I have lusted after an original 60's Mod Orange downbeat since I first saw John Densmore use one at the Hollywood bowl that I watched on video for the first time in 1987. I have had all the drums of my dreams in cluding a 1969 Mod Orange super classic and a 1971 Mod Orange club date. I even have a 1968 Mod Orange 8x12 and 14x14 that needs the 20" bass drum. I have just never found the set and at this point, don't need it by any means, it's just been my one bucket list item.

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just got one of mine: A NOS Tama Iron Cobra Flexi Glide pedal. It's new in the original packaging, never played. I've wanted one of these pedals for years.

IMG_6045.jpeg

And just for kicks I picked up a NOS Iron Cobra Jr., brand new and never played. It was only $35, so I couldn't pass it up.

IMG_6046.jpeg

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a Flexiglide back in the day - super smooth and reliable , cannot even remember why I sold it .

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I brought this set in to the shop to sell but once I saw it, I could not . Planned to add another 14 floor to it to make it my forever set, two up, two down. Star Maple in Wild Sea Blue Bosse. Then Tama went ahead and discontinued the finish pretty much after a year and it is one of those finishes were they could not make a component anymore because of lack of quality Bosse wood.
So the 14 floor has been my unicorn ever since and still no luck. I am about to give up and sell the set.
28701628_2034045836919338_1771725360794364121_o.jpg
28701629_2034045716919350_1425131262269671755_o.jpg

Drum Gear Review

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I brought this set in to the shop to sell but once I saw it, I could not . Planned to add another 14 floor to it to make it my forever set, two up, two down. Star Maple in Wild Sea Blue Bosse. Then Tama went ahead and discontinued the finish pretty much after a year and it is one of those finishes were they could not make a component anymore because of lack of quality Bosse wood.
So the 14 floor has been my unicorn ever since and still no luck. I am about to give up and sell the set. View attachment 518464 View attachment 518465
Damn that one is heartbreaking! What a stunning kit.

If you sell it, do you have a replacement option in mind?

Drum Gear Review

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So the 14 floor has been my unicorn ever since and still no luck. I am about to give up and sell the set. View attachment 518464 View attachment 518465
Damn that one is heartbreaking! What a stunning kit.

If you sell it, do you have a replacement option in mind?

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have two.

I need a Gretsch Renown Maple RN1 16" floor tom in Cherry Burst so I can have a 2 up 2 down kit so I can sell my 7 pc Catalina Maple kit.
I need a Gretsch Catalina Club 12" rack tom in Black Diamond Pearl to complete the other 3 pcs of the bop kit I do have that I bought for a steal at 250 bucks.

larold

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A thin 24” Turkish-made ride with a low profile, wide bell, low fundamental pitch and no weird overtones.

A replacement hexagonal pull rod for my Sonor hi-hat stand where the chrome isn’t flaking off, so I won’t cut myself if I touch the wrong part.

larold

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I know this had been discussed on this forum before, but I'm curious about how the answers here might be very different than they were a few years ago. Now that many members of this board are getting older and thinning out gear collections, what's left on your unicorn gear list, if anything?

I've been pretty fortunate over the past few years and I've been able to get ahold of most of would be on that list. There's one hold out though:

A 22x14" Sakae Trilogy bass drum in Pink Oyster Pearl.

I think there's a high likelihood I never find one on its own. There's a 22x16" on ebay right now as part of a shell pack, but I have no interest in any of the other drums. Might have to pull the trigger eventually though.

Beyond that, there's not much. Maybe a Spizzichino ride or a set of Camcos waaay down the road.

What are you all chasing?
Drum Center of Portsmouth is clearing out their Sakaes. They have a pink oyster kit with a different-sized floor tom than the eBay kit (14”). They‘re selling an orphan tom in another finish, so maybe they’d be willing to sell just the bass. https://www.drumcenternh.com/sakae-trilogy-22-10-14-vintage-club-oyster-drum-set-clearance-deal

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I definitely don’t need another kit… but I do keep an eye out for a Sakae Trilogy mint oyster bop kit.

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well, I’m super lucky in that my current kit was my unicorn — a set of Yamaha Club Customs in the Dark Wood finish, 18/10/12/14. Then I snagged another one in complementary sizes, 22/13/16. Now I’m just hunting for the elusive (even by unicorn standards) 8” tom and 20” bass.

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Someday I hope to find a 14x10/18x16/24x14 3 ply ludwig or reringed Rogers in BDP to give me a shell bank. I’ve given up on a 6.5” BDP powertone at a price I can stomach