UNIX Snare Drums

aldenyc2012

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I belong to a "Drums for Sale" FB group. Today, someone posted a comment about UNIX Snare drums. As a Unix / Linux systems administrator ( in my professional life), I wondered how someone could use the name "UNIX" to brand a snare drum. I just assumed that the name "UNIX" is trademarked so I did the typical and did a search ...

Unix (/ˈjuːnɪks/; trademarked as UNIX) is a family of multitasking, multiuser computer operating systems that derive from the original AT&T Unix, development starting in the 1970s at the Bell Labs research center by Ken Thompson, Dennis Ritchie, and others

so I am wondering how someone can use the name "UNIX" as a brand name for a drum. Again .. I know nothing about trademark law so perhaps because it's a brand name, it doesn't have any trademark infringement?

I hear they are very nice snare drums BTW

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Maybe if the businesses are totally unrelated it is OK? Like, Mc Donalds dry cleaning services would be alright maybe? I do not know, just guessing :) He does make great snares by the way.

Ron_M

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Here's the company I work for:

BioTek Instruments

...and here's another company, similar name:

BioTek Calibrations

We've worked alongside each other for many years without issue; I'm not sure what, if any action could be taken, and by whom, but it's a non-issue for us.

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I belong to a "Drums for Sale" FB group. Today, someone posted a comment about UNIX Snare drums. As a Unix / Linux systems administrator ( in my professional life), I wondered how someone could use the name "UNIX" to brand a snare drum. I just assumed that the name "UNIX" is trademarked so I did the typical and did a search ...

Unix (/ˈjuːnɪks/; trademarked as UNIX) is a family of multitasking, multiuser computer operating systems that derive from the original AT&T Unix, development starting in the 1970s at the Bell Labs research center by Ken Thompson, Dennis Ritchie, and others

so I am wondering how someone can use the name "UNIX" as a brand name for a drum. Again .. I know nothing about trademark law so perhaps because it's a brand name, it doesn't have any trademark infringement?

I hear they are very nice snare drums BTW
I think I may have been the one talking about the UNIX SS snare in that group. They're a Canadian company out of Quebec...maybe it's a language thing : )

drumfx

Reaction score
Unix does make custom hi-end drums in a variety of woods, even 1 ply steambent. Top notch instruments.

jmato

Reaction score
Put very simply (and multiple volumes could be written on it): A trademark is typically only enforceable in the same line of business.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Put very simply (and multiple volumes could be written on it): A trademark is typically only enforceable in the same line of business.
And, or if manufactured within the same country. As in USA. So I've been told; am I right?

sherm

jmato

Reaction score
Close. And really I am referring to trade names when I say it's only enforceable in the same line of business. Continuing with what Murat said, I could probably have a McDonald's Dry Cleaners. (Trade name - not same line of business.) But I could *not* use the golden arches logo/brand/trade dress/trademark to promote my dry cleaner.

It matters where the mark is registered, and where the company is doing business. If I only do business in New York as McDonald's dry cleaners (and register my trade name), I could not stop someone from doing business under the same name in California.

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Close. And really I am referring to trade names when I say it's only enforceable in the same line of business. Continuing with what Murat said, I could probably have a McDonald's Dry Cleaners. (Trade name - not same line of business.) But I could *not* use the golden arches logo/brand/trade dress/trademark to promote my dry cleaner.

It matters where the mark is registered, and where the company is doing business. If I only do business in New York as McDonald's dry cleaners (and register my trade name), I could not stop someone from doing business under the same name in California.
So you are saying what I have done here in this pic is frowned upon? :angel8:
10339500_10154949941990497_6063105078412515573_o.jpg

doubleroll

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well as a former Solaris and HP-UX sys admin myself...Unix OS is free but Unix snare drums are not :cool:
Now that being said, I really would love one of those snares :wq

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I recall reading a while ago that the big "press release" was that Dunet was getting involved with these guys. Never heard a word about it since. Never heard of a dealer offering these drums so I assume they sell direct..They are likely a good shell builder, but is that enough these days?

Iristone

Reaction score
Well as a former Solaris and HP-UX sys admin myself...Unix OS is free but Unix snare drums are not :cool:
Now that being said, I really would love one of those snares :wq
Write quit? :wink:
As a side note, there's Simmons drums and Simmons mattresses, and there's Rogers drums, Rogers circuit boards, and Rogers real estate. I guess it's okay. :toothy10:

singleflammedmill

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I recall reading a while ago that the big "press release" was that Dunet was getting involved with these guys. Never heard a word about it since. Never heard of a dealer offering these drums so I assume they sell direct..They are likely a good shell builder, but is that enough these days?
Here's a list of our dealers

Drum Center of Portsmouth
https://www.drumcenternh.com/snare-drums/unix-snare-drums

Timpano-Percussion
https://www.timpano-percussion.com/fc/search/unix/

Drummer’s Hangout
http://www.drummershangout.ca/products/unix-7x14-steam-bent-satin-cherry-wood-snare/

Musique Gagné
https://www.musiquegagne.com/

Dave’s Drum Shop
https://davesdrumshop.com/

Latest posts