Unknown Drums, No Badge Update and Thank You

Wally Hershey

Reaction score
It was awhile ago I asked for your help trying to figure out the place where my drums came from and a lot of you helped out. Never was able to lock it down. Closest was an old Peace or a kit named Bestler. After the restoration I was all consumed with the search for the maker. In the end, I just had a blast and I wanted to say Thank You! You all gave me so much info and I really enjoyed the search, They now have a home,and it's mine. I can't part with them. Would love to keep doing restoration,but these will never leave. Thank's Again to all the people that took time to try and help me out. Thought i'd send a couple of pictures to show what they are now. I'm having a blast playing again. Had a stroke last march. The doctors are sure the drum's are helping me get back the movement in my left hand, I told her my left hand sucked before but i'm getting there (LOL, only drummers would get that joke, she didn't). Thank You all again, now I have to go down stairs and let Jeff P and Phil E kick my butt. Thank's Wally, New Glarus Wisconsin

Attachments

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well, regardless of what brand they are, they certainly look great now! You did a great job with them, and the kit looks professional and nicely integrated.

Prayers for your continued recovery from your stroke. I think most of us elder guys live with a daily recognition that it could happen to any of us at any time.

GeeDeeEmm

Targalx

Reaction score
My first kit was an unbadged Japanese stencil kit from the late 1960s. At the time, I was about 9 at the time, really obsessed with drum brands and I hoped I had something that was worth more than the $50 my dad paid for it at a yard sale. So, I took my rack tom to the local music shop where I was certain the elderly owner had an encyclopedic knowledge of drums would be able to identify it. He took a look at it, told me "it's an old Japanese kit" and then asked me, "do you like it?" I told him yes. Then he said, "then knowing the brand doesn't matter."

While I liked my only drum set, at the time I thought it looked really uncool. Those Japanese stencil kits were Slingerland ripoffs, and a vintage Slingerland kit in 1986 looked like some old jalopy compared to the 9-piece hot pink neon double-bass rack-mounted double-China crash Pearl/Tama/Yamaha setups of the hair metal bands dominating MTV at the time. My dream at the time was that canary yellow Yamaha Tour Custom 8-piece at the local music store (never did get one).

Today? I wish I still had that unbadged Japanese stencil kit.

Wally Hershey

Reaction score
It's been a blast re-learning everything from tuning to what sticks I like. A lot of people helped out trying to figure out their origin and age. Never did nail it exactly, but the search was fun,almost as much fun as I have playing them. Never did see a picture of drum's with the lug design on the kit, and I looked at a ton of them. Thank's again to everyone who pitched in, they sound good and I like them, and as many of you told me,that's all that matters, and you are all right. Thanks again, Wally

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
My first kit was an unbadged Japanese stencil kit from the late 1960s. At the time, I was about 9 at the time, really obsessed with drum brands and I hoped I had something that was worth more than the $50 my dad paid for it at a yard sale. So, I took my rack tom to the local music shop where I was certain the elderly owner had an encyclopedic knowledge of drums would be able to identify it. He took a look at it, told me "it's an old Japanese kit" and then asked me, "do you like it?" I told him yes. Then he said, "then knowing the brand doesn't matter."

While I liked my only drum set, at the time I thought it looked really uncool. Those Japanese stencil kits were Slingerland ripoffs, and a vintage Slingerland kit in 1986 looked like some old jalopy compared to the 9-piece hot pink neon double-bass rack-mounted double-China crash Pearl/Tama/Yamaha setups of the hair metal bands dominating MTV at the time. My dream at the time was that canary yellow Yamaha Tour Custom 8-piece at the local music store (never did get one).

Today? I wish I still had that unbadged Japanese stencil kit.
LOL! You and the rest of us, too! ;)