Unknown Drums, No badge

Wally Hershey

Reaction score
So, you did the refinish, Wally? Looks like a very nice job!

Regarding the drums I can only tell you they're not from any major known brand. Stencil knockoff drumsets with unfamiliar brand names were still being exported well into the 1990s and there were plenty of them that made their way to independent music shops & even department stores. Judging by the interiors of your larger toms these appear to be of better quality than the typical luan-wood imports but the 6-lug floor tom and vertical grain small toms makes be suspect the set is probably a mish-mash of various drums someone put together and wrapped in silver mist, or possibly a do-it-yourselfer built up the kit as a home project using parts and wrap from an Asian supplier years ago..
You may never know the actual brand name of the set but if they sound good just play and enjoy 'em.
I hope that I can figure it out sometime. The department store thing seems like a valid idea, I thought sears, Silvertone made at Pearl, but I can't find any stuff after the name was sold.The idea of an old rebuild is cool,but there was no sign of wood work when I got them, every drums wrap was applied identical, 2 faced tape high and low, 2 strips at the over lap, and I didnt feel right overlapping cherry wood I butted the joint, and under the lugs facing the player. I wish someone did a book on all drums history. Thanks for your input, greatly appreciated, Wally

Wally Hershey

Reaction score
Wally,
That's one of the most beautiful refinishing jobs I've ever seen. Maybe you have found your calling.

Somewhere on line there is a site wholly dedicated to Japanese "Stencil" kits. I've run across it a couple of times, and it has a wealth of pictures of Japanese kits across several decades. I'll bet you could find your lug design there.

GeeDeeEmm
And now I'm more fired up, gotta find those places, Thanks for the compliment , I loved doing them, hope they can go to a good home so I can do another one, I'm having thoughts of a monster 80's deal, maybe in a green, birds eye maple! Thanks for everything, This whole thing is way to much fun, the drums were the easy part, the history not so much lol, Wally

Wally Hershey

Reaction score
I have no idea what they are but you did a nice job on them. They certainly do not look cheap.
Thank's very much, may have went a little far, but they survived, maybe 30 years someone will be polishing that chrome and trying to figure out where they came from, Wally

Wally Hershey

Reaction score
Pics would help. You'd b amazed at how many people here can ID something from the smallest of details.
Thanks for helping out,greatly appreciated, now i'm gonna make myself blind looking a drum pictures on line, LOL, Wally

trommel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I can't help you more. Not knowledgeable in MIJ and/or Japanese drums, just some vintage USA stuff, and little knowledge at that!
The refinish job looks very nice. As long as you get some good heads and tuning on them, and they appeal to you, play them! What difference does the brand make? You play for the sound, not for the brand.

Listen with your ears, not your eyes.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
And...we have a winner! Now, the big question is, who made/makes Rhythm Art?
Wally, you did a great job on the refinishing of your shells!

-Mark
I'd been trying to recall that name for a couple of days, and something triggered it this morning.

Wally Hershey

Reaction score
BINGO.
Mystery solved.
Now where's Wally? :D
Holy crap,never heard of them but i've been out of the game for a long time. That certainly looks like it could be the winner. Ok now, my snare is chrome steel, I believe that looks like a six lug 16" The picture is a black kit and has the badges as an Id. They look like Silvertone kits,which I always see in guess what color? well ,always black. The question now becomes, are Rhythm Art and Silvertone (that have badges,at least every pic I've seen) made by the same company? Would it be reasonable to think that my kit which has the same type of hardware is the pre-runner to the pictured kit and the silvertones you see on line? Maybe someone in the east said " lets put these out and see if we get any bites, but what should we call them? , don't put any name on them, lets see if we can sell them first. If they sell we'll put whatever name on them they want." I think this is as close as we may get, I just have this feeling its the pearl factory, I bet I could take a lug of that Rhythm Art and screw it on a Masters series and it would fit perfect, Man you all are killing me ! Remember ,my pedal is an 810, its the only pedal ever clamped on the hoop, the marks are a direct match, when did they stop the 810? Man this fun and you all are great, Thanks Wally

Wally Hershey

Reaction score
He's probably doing another great refinishing job!
Thanks brother, not on one yet, can't find anything for sale yet that is totally unidentifiable, With my luck I'm the guy that would find a kit with square drums,with goat hide skins and you all know I'd be here asking for help! LOL, Wally

Wally Hershey

Reaction score
The refinish job looks very nice. As long as you get some good heads and tuning on them, and they appeal to you, play them! What difference does the brand make? You play for the sound, not for the brand.

Listen with your ears, not your eyes.
To be completely honest, I'm scared to play them, I put Emperor Coated on top and pinstripes on the bottom, they are not under tension, not a pair of sticks around. It was never about the name, it was about making the shell the best I could, the finish was just an extension of the shell. That's why I want A really good player to be the first one to play them, I am old enough to take the truth, did I do the drums justice through what I did, do they sound good? I'm not that guy, I'm the guy with a wood shop who loves players. I'm older ,I love the history, There are so many cool kits out there,just want to have fun, and chatting with you all is a blast, Plus how can I bug you guy's if I actually knew what I was looking at, Thanks again Wally

Wally Hershey

Reaction score
So, you did the refinish, Wally? Looks like a very nice job!

Regarding the drums I can only tell you they're not from any major known brand. Stencil knockoff drumsets with unfamiliar brand names were still being exported well into the 1990s and there were plenty of them that made their way to independent music shops & even department stores. Judging by the interiors of your larger toms these appear to be of better quality than the typical luan-wood imports but the 6-lug floor tom and vertical grain small toms makes be suspect the set is probably a mish-mash of various drums someone put together and wrapped in silver mist, or possibly a do-it-yourselfer built up the kit as a home project using parts and wrap from an Asian supplier years ago..
You may never know the actual brand name of the set but if they sound good just play and enjoy 'em.
Music stores actually had the ability to order no name stuff? That is awesome to know. It would explain some things. I'm in southern wisconsin, the name that keeps coming to me is Silvertone, the canada connection is only a little ways away and they talk about silvertone through there sears stores. The guitar people have it easy, they put numbers on everything! Wally

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Music stores actually had the ability to order no name stuff?
Sure, to give an example, most home town "mom&pop" music stores could usually order something from the Universal Percussion catalogs or the Cannon Percussion catalogs or via several other distributors of generic-style drums, percussion & hardware, including related parts for most everything. Certain pawn shops even did this.

Wally Hershey

Reaction score
Sure, to give an example, most home town "mom&pop" music stores could usually order something from the Universal Percussion catalogs or the Cannon Percussion catalogs or via several other distributors of generic-style drums, percussion & hardware, including related parts for most everything. Certain pawn shops even did this.
No kidding, never even dreamed that, I guess it was kinda like going online today. I guess my age is showing, I remember when I was a kid the m/P stores did exist, I bought from them when I played. I guess this project got over shadowed by our current tech. I'm trying to find out about kit's from the past,but I forgot about the past, when 1 head was a big deal, hoped the crack in the cymbal wouldn't get any bigger and did the local hardware store have the same spring that just broke on the pedal. Maybe the search is about them(the Kit) but for me? Since I got them I've listened to a lot of music,all types, I hear things I never heard in the drum parts, players I never thought twice about then, but today I hear their feet, the little things and realize there are alot of good players. I wish the little stores existed like they used to, not even a handful in my area anymore, thats probably the answer, they may have come from a place that doesn't even exist anymore, but I'll continue the search,The Rhythm Art kit is gotta be on the track, the sound holes look exact, spurs, tom holder,there's gotta be some kind of connection. I am thinking like a wood worker now. Did they construct the 8'' and 10'' toms inner layer to make it easy, The rest are all horizontal light maple, but as a wood guy I'd go mahogany vertical on a drum any day, way easier to shape and hold ,for sure on a cylinder 8 to 10" in diameter. By the way, you gotta know when I get home tomorrow I'll be all over the catalogs you listed. Thanks Wally

Wally Hershey

Reaction score
Ya the Rhythm Art deal seems to be it, they had some different colors, trying to find catalogs, are they still around?

Latest posts