Unknown Drums, No badge

GeneZ

DFO Master
Reaction score
Grew up in NY.. now, Georgia -NW of Atlanta
And...we have a winner! Now, the big question is, who made/makes Rhythm Art?
When I bought a home brand set from Atlanta Pro Percussion they had sets that looked a bit like that. There are factories that will make sets according to how a drum shop/store requests. Someone chose the name Rhythm Art. Many different names. Same drum design.

Wally Hershey

Reaction score
If I remember { at all lately}, these were house drums from Rhythm Traders drum store in Portland.hope this helps.
I'll be checking that out, they seem to have the same stuff as silvertone, they have to have some kind of connection. I wonder how many place's are kicking out shells in the east? with all the stencil kits that I have seen under so many names,it's just crazy to me that there is that many names out there but I get the kit with not a word anywhere. Thanks again for the tip, I'm all over it! Wally

Wally Hershey

Reaction score
When I bought a home brand set from Atlanta Pro Percussion they had sets that looked a bit like that. There are factories that will make sets according to how a drum shop/store requests. Someone chose the name Rhythm Art. Many different names. Same drum design.
I am seeing that a lot. The names seem to be short lived but the hardware as well as the shells are the same or close to the same, when I got mine I started looking at bearing edge stuff on line, mine were fair , looked like they went around the router but no touch up or sanding, maybe that was how stencils are done, skip a few detail steps use thinner wraps, don't fasten them very good. The one thing I can say, mt chrome is excellent, actually,with no offense intended, it was easier to clean up than the chrome on the master series 18 floor that I bought to and on .

Wally Hershey

Reaction score
View attachment 380297 20181208_150422_resized.jpg 20181208_150447_resized.jpg Maybe i have been looking at it the wrong way. I have been chasing a badge for ID, but maybe I should have thought about hardware to. The pic on the far left is a Crush Alpha set, the middle pic is my set,it holds the 8,10 and a cymbal. In my opinion ,the rubber feet are the same,the far right pic is my 8,10 cym from upper view and then I looked at catalogs from P in the late 80's to the early 90's. Now crush only existed from 2011(former d drum guys) but in the 99 P catalog they look the same as mine. Crush said on another site they have 2 company's in T, and 1 in C 20181208_145912_1544304387404_resized.jpg is it crazy to assume that the one company in C is the supplier for alot of the mij drums ? and have been around for a long time? Do they do stuff for big company's and off brand also? Man the search is fun, Man I may end up in C ! LOL Wally

Wally Hershey

Reaction score
If I remember { at all lately}, these were house drums from Rhythm Traders drum store in Portland.hope this helps.
Nothing on there sight now, the off name stuff seems to always short lived. Trying to figure out hardware suppliers, that may be the key, not so much a badge. Man I am having a blast, thanks to everyone who has helped Wally

Wally Hershey

Reaction score
Ok, I give, looked at everything I could find. thank's to all that helped your all the best. It's time to give them a name and maybe a special badge, I am thinking, Black Cat Drum-Refactory , the motto will be "rebuilding drum's that came from who know's where" LOL, on another note ,say I was to put cymbals on, would a guy go S or K ? and remember I am a child of the 80's Thank's again, Wally

Wally Hershey

Reaction score
It was nice in wisconsin today, thought I'd take the unknown's out for some pic's, thank's again everyone. Wally 20181216_111630_resized.jpg 20181216_111654_resized.jpg 20181216_111715_resized.jpg

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Wally,

Your drums are SE Asian generic's. Likely made in either China, Taiwan or Indonesia.
That's a nice finish on those shells.
Likely the wrap was pulled off by a former owner and they liked the grain pattern they saw, so they stained the shell and clear coated it.
Almost looks like Maple (like someone got some Keller's and used the hardware from a generic kit they owned to build a "new" kit for themselves).
Nice looking kit. As long as it works, that's all you can ask for, but it explains why there's no badge. It was removed by a former owner during a renovation project.

Elvis

Wally Hershey

Reaction score
I am the one that took the wrap off, it was a silversparkle, re wrapped in cherry veneer, dye stained sanding sealer and then went to a local body shop for clear coat. If you have time check out the entire post , I have been driving people crazy with these for a couple of months. Look at the lug's, tell us who used them and you'll be the winner. A hint, the 18 floor is a master's series, the lugs in the rest of the kit fit perfect in the master's holes, but there is no badge, The pedal is an 810, Made in taiwan R.O.C, only thing that has any id. Thank's for playing LOL Wally

Wally Hershey

Reaction score
So, you did the refinish, Wally? Looks like a very nice job!

Regarding the drums I can only tell you they're not from any major known brand. Stencil knockoff drumsets with unfamiliar brand names were still being exported well into the 1990s and there were plenty of them that made their way to independent music shops & even department stores. Judging by the interiors of your larger toms these appear to be of better quality than the typical luan-wood imports but the 6-lug floor tom and vertical grain small toms makes be suspect the set is probably a mish-mash of various drums someone put together and wrapped in silver mist, or possibly a do-it-yourselfer built up the kit as a home project using parts and wrap from an Asian supplier years ago..
You may never know the actual brand name of the set but if they sound good just play and enjoy 'em.
I made a mistake, the small tom's are horizontal grain, but for sure mahagony, sorry I didn't mean to miss lead anyone, the shell's are awesome, when I re-cut them not a single problem, but I am a big believer of good router bit's that are sharp, Thanks Wally

Wally Hershey

Reaction score
Still searching, made a few friends that are trying to help out to. Down to 81-83 ,leaning to china, the silvertone idea is out, I am gonna get this, but I am really getting the itch to bang on them. Got a response from mlucas123 on my email. The rhythmart idea is close but the lugs don't matchand I have been unable to find any images of those drums in silver sparkle. The pearl type hardware is freaking everywhere so that's been of no help. Been looking at Marc Patch info and learning a ton. Taiwan is the way i,m leaning to,after research yesterday. Trak Drums, built in taiwan in the 80's used pearl type hardware, there catalog describes the shell's perfect to mine, the configurations offered matched . The only catch was that they didn't offer silver sparkle on there order sheets' but in the catalog pics showing the plant where they made drums for trak there is a silver sparkle drum on the assembly line! I am thinking it could be an early Trak set. the later trak lugs don't match mine. The only place I'v seen my lug's was on a china export sight(a supplier of drum parts), I need pictures of trak drum's the pics in the catalog don't give me the views i need, Thanks mlucas123 you got me digging again !

Last edited:

Wally Hershey

Reaction score
Still searching, made a few friends that are trying to help out to. Down to 81-83 ,leaning to china, the silvertone idea is out, I am gonna get this, but I am really getting the itch to bang on them. Got a response from mlucas123 on my email. The rhythmart idea is close but the lugs don't matchand I have been unable to find any images of those drums in silver sparkle. The pearl type hardware is freaking everywhere so that's been of no help. Been looking at Marc Patch info and learning a ton. Taiwan is the way i,m leaning to,after research yesterday. Trak Drums, built in taiwan in the 80's used pearl type hardware, there catalog describes the shell's perfect to mine, the configurations offered matched . The only catch was that they didn't offer silver sparkle on there order sheets' but in the catalog pics showing the plant where they made drums for trak there is a silver sparkle drum on the assembly line! I am thinking it could be an early Trak set. the later trak lugs don't match mine. The only place I'v seen my lug's was on a china export sight(a supplier of drum parts), I need pictures of trak drum's the pics in the catalog don't give me the views i need, Thanks mlucas123 you got me digging again !

Latest posts