Unknown Sonor Bassdrum - who can help?

Germandrummer

Reaction score
I just bought this orphan NOS Sonor bassdrum. The vendor was not sure if Champion or Phonic. I guess it is a Champion regarding eight lugs on a 22'. Is this a mahogany veneer?

$_57 (1).jpeg
$_57.jpeg

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
its really just the badge that makes this different from a black label Phonics
Lovely Champ or Super Champ you got there, never seen that finish

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You are living my friend. The vintage Sonor stuff is so few and far between here in the US. It always makes me smile when I think that Sonor is the Ludwig of the EU; this stuff is everywhere and reasonably priced across the pond.

You might want to check out the Vintage Sonor FB page. We were all just enjoying some unicorn pics this weekend. Custom 80s Signatures from the factory in Rosewood and Scandi with matching HLD581s and D518s. Nothing better then uncataloged goodies.

Germandrummer

Reaction score
You are living my friend. The vintage Sonor stuff is so few and far between here in the US. It always makes me smile when I think that Sonor is the Ludwig of the EU; this stuff is everywhere and reasonably priced across the pond.

You might want to check out the Vintage Sonor FB page. We were all just enjoying some unicorn pics this weekend. Custom 80s Signatures from the factory in Rosewood and Scandi with matching HLD581s and D518s. Nothing better then uncataloged goodies.
I will definitely check out the facebook page.

Sonor is in fact quite common here but I think especially Teardrops are underrated, I don`t know why. I would like to play a classic 3ply-Ludwig but you will have to invest at least 1,5k€ for a mediocre 3-piece and they are rather scarce.

Germandrummer

Reaction score
The mysterious green bassdrum has arrived. I first guessed it might be some special order Champion or Super Champion. But the combination of 9ply beechwood, 8 lugs and 45 degree bearing edges (and a new Hayman batter head) does not fit. The green finish looks very nice and is also visible on the inside. By the quality of the work and obviously being an unused drum I strongly believe it to be a factory work.

I will gladly ship a large amount of german beer to anyone who can find me matching NOS 12" and 14" toms.

15998371249140.jpg
15998357179662.jpg
15998357178971.jpg
15998357178190.jpg

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
so let's not forget this is in Gemany

So just like Ludwig in the US, Sonor supplied the school and beginner markets. Six lug base drums show up on Champs in these configurations, so that does not surprise me as much as the green. Never seen the inside or bearing edge stained like that from the factory, but anything is possible.

You are living the Sonor dream. 3 kits in 2 months?

Germandrummer

Reaction score
so let's not forget this is in Gemany

So just like Ludwig in the US, Sonor supplied the school and beginner markets. Six lug base drums show up on Champs in these configurations, so that does not surprise me as much as the green. Never seen the inside or bearing edge stained like that from the factory, but anything is possible.

You are living the Sonor dream. 3 kits in 2 months?
Yes I am very lucky! But cleaning and restoring them is just as much fun as playing them. A proper bop kit (Super Champion or Phonic) might be the ultimate aim.