Unpopular opinion

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I could maybe see enough lip to be able to choose your bearing edge. But you certainly wouldn't need it for stiffness.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I can see that. We should come up with a better term for it because it’s not reinforcing anything.

Yeah, but the way it makes the shell lighter is by making it thin enough to need reinforcing.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think it is less of reinforcement as much as it is a way of making the shell lighter...

I'm pretty sure Deluth, or anyone making a cast shell, can thin down the whole shell without any need for re-rings. In that case, I would say the re-rings are still adding a little more weight and removing them completely will make the shell even lighter. With that said, I believe the milled in re-rings are there for aesthetics considering all the shells I have seen here with re-rings use sharp 45's right to the outside edge. The little cut in rings and other designs on the outside of the shell do absolutely nothing sonically. They are there for aesthetics. So why not do it on the inside too? Hell, Tama offers an option to do inlays on the re-rings of their Star series drums. DW makes the inner ply of their re-rings on the Collector series the same veneer as the outer veneer of the shell. These do nothing sonically to the drum. Its all aesthetics.

If someone wants to play with a clear batter head or just likes seeing this stuff from the bottom, or when changing heads, then why not have it done? Have some fun. Life is way too dull if all you care about is the pragmatic stuff.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, but the way it makes the shell lighter is by making it thin enough to need reinforcing.

Ahead makes 3mm cast shells with straight walls on the inside. I haven't heard of Deluth taking any shell thinner than 3mm at the interior.

esooy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I can pretty much guarantee if you lose the "reinforcement rings" and stand on the shell sideways the shell won't go anywhere. They are there certainly because of thinking a "thin" shell needs reinforcement, without thinking if they actually do anything but look interesting. It works for thin wood that have a lot of poplar or luan as a part of the shell formula. So sure, keep them in the shell if you want but it's only for aesthetics.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
If they're not thinning to sheet metal thickness, then yes, it's wasted. I tell my son who wants to build things.. "Geometry beats materials, almost every time."