header.nohb.html

Unsure that these are early 40's Radio Kings

Ray Dee Oh King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hello All!

I'm hoping someone can help clarify this inquiry I have. I received "The Slingerland Book" Yesterday in the mail, and upon reading this fantastic piece I am finding that this kit I have acquired does not resemble any of the early 40's Radio Kings, yet it does resemble the 37'-39' Radio King Full Dress Marine Pearl Deluxe Swing Outfit kit in the book all the way down to the sizes, casings, rods and finish. Can anyone please help clarify this ?

Slingybadge.jpg
RKant.jpg
SLINGY PUNCHY.jpg
Slingy Birdseye.jpg

Ray Dee Oh King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The one thing throwing me off is the hardware on the bass drum. It wasn't used till 41'. I'm thinking this was not an outfit and was pieced together by the original owner.

Ray Dee Oh King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So the book was throwing me off. I spoke to a gentleman who provided me pictures from the catalog itself. I think we narrowed it down to a 1941.

Ray Dee Oh King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
No, They were really yellow when I got them. I polished them and am still polishing them daily :) Everything is original except obviously the iso mount on the floor tom. I of recent have found a basket for the floor tom and a new mount and L arm that matches the trods. Also picked up the bass spur mount I needed. Within the next week or so I should have everything original to the era of the kit. Next step finding and purchasing a matching Krupa Radio King snare and maybe even era hardware.

atomicmorganic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Cool. 1940 is my birth year. Nice to see stuff from then that has been so well preserved. I have a Ludwig snare drum from '40 but it is nowhere near as nice as these. My first kit was a late '40s Slingy in blue/silver duco.

Ray Dee Oh King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
atomicmorganic said:
Cool. 1940 is my birth year. Nice to see stuff from then that has been so well preserved. I have a Ludwig snare drum from '40 but it is nowhere near as nice as these. My first kit was a late '40s Slingy in blue/silver duco.
Thank you. I got real lucky on these. I found out they just sat in the basement of an opera house for a very long time. Untouched, someone found them and put them in an auction. An elderly woman accidently purchased them by pointing at something during the auction for $20.00. She just wanted her money back and was steered to my uncle's guitar shop due to him buying used equipment. He bought em and called me about the purchase. He was telling me he bought an old beat up Slingerland kit, so I asked him to send me pictures of the drums and any badges. I did some research and asked him if I gave him $200.00 bucks if he'd sell them to me. Well here they are.

Ray Dee Oh King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

Creighton

Reaction score
I'd say pre WW-II. Early/mid 40's look more like this. Can't get exact in this era and Slingerlands in general :icon_smile:.

Creighton

Attachments

• IMG_3853.JPG
    IMG_3853.JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3949.JPG
    IMG_3949.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 19

Ray Dee Oh King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Creighton said:
I'd say pre WW-II. Early/mid 40's look more like this. Can't get exact in this era and Slingerlands in general :icon_smile:.

Creighton
Already been determined they're either 40' or 41'. They didn't use the bass drum hardware on this drum until 41'. The 8x12 tom apparently is a dead giveaway, so I have been told.