Unusual Ludwig Club Date

DrumR69

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is one of those kits that was sitting on the side of the road waiting to be picked up.
What I think started as a black lacquer kit is now this.
What I find unusual is the 14x14 floor tom leg mounts and the bass drum t-rods.
Well also the finish but that is another story.
All hardware is Nickle and rims are all NOB except for 8x12 rims and of course double tom mount.
Was wondering if they had Nickle plated bow ties or are all Nickle sets flat t-rods?
Also I know the club date floor tom mounts are usually spring loaded mounts.
I have many questions but maybe they can be answered without asking and the knowledgeable people here can tell by some pictures. Let me have it. What do you think.

Attachments

JCKOriollo

DFO Master
Reaction score
Pretty. Looks like they did a decent job on the finish. That's no small task.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
I like that finish. Very nice find! Well done.

Mike

lersch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I also have a Club Date floor tom with the upgraded leg mounts. Obviously was an option on an order as mine came that way from the factory. Pulled a mount off and the wrap is not faded underneath, been on there since the day the drum was born.

carter

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Really cool kit. I dig the funky paint job.
Regarding the bass drum tension rods: from what I have seen both the style you have and the "faucet" type you usually see on club dates were made in both nickel and chrome.
If it were mine Id put the rail back on and cover the post mount someone added with a diamond plate.

el_37

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
lersch said:
I also have a Club Date floor tom with the upgraded leg mounts. Obviously was an option on an order as mine came that way from the factory. Pulled a mount off and the wrap is not faded underneath, been on there since the day the drum was born.
They are so few and far between that I speculate it was more of a supply issue on the day they were made than something installed via request.

But you never know. I have one that had then changed out so early in the life of the drum the lack of fade underneath them matches the lack of fade underneath the lugs. That being said I can't stand the originals or any spring loaded (Slingerland push button) leg mount. Had one break the other day on my Slingerland set.

lersch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
el_37 said:
They are so few and far between that I speculate it was more of a supply issue on the day they were made than something installed via request.

But you never know. I have one that had then changed out so early in the life of the drum the lack of fade underneath them matches the lack of fade underneath the lugs. That being said I can't stand the originals or any spring loaded (Slingerland push button) leg mount. Had one break the other day on my Slingerland set.
Mine couldn't have been changed out as the hole pattern for the spring loaded ones is different than the Classic mounts. I'm just flat to have them….it did come with the straight legs, another Ludwig anomaly.

DrumR69

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys.
Carter, that is what I was thinking also.
The set came also with a 70's non serial 13" that I am currently using on another set but going to put back the rail for sure.
I read somewhere on the forum where someone made a plate from a clear pick gaurd and took a picture of the finish and cut it out to size. Sounds like a good idea unless I can come up with a diamond plate in nickel.
Lersch, didn't most club dates come with straight legs?

carter

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sounds cool! Can't wait to see it set up again.
Get the Pearl or Gibraltar air feet for the straight legs. Makes a difference.

el_37

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a club date that is factory drilled for the diamond mount- I actually replaced it with the new version and am using the new single tom arm that works with it.

I like the rail, but this new arm is great- lots of positioning options in seconds and memory locks.

I liken it to the old saying- if you get lemons make lemonade....

DrumR69

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Do you have a picture of that mount el-37?
Like to check it out.
Put her together today. Made up a plate for the double mount and legs for the floor tom.
Found out the tom bracket on tom is stripped. Wing nut looks good so in search of a bracket in nickel.
I'm sure it will not be easy. All in all cool little set.

Attachments

el_37

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
image.jpeg

You can find the arm and the mount for around $75 new.

Latest posts