header.nohb.html

Update: Dead & Company’s Bill Kreutzmann Played in NYC Friday and Saturday

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
As much as I don't enjoy Dead & Co.'s low-energy noodling, Vistalite Black feels some obligation to break the news that Drummer Bill Kreutzmann has been replaced in recent performances due to an unspecified illness.

Reading the story ... is he called "The Rhythm Devil"? Why?

Hopefully, some combination of medicinal herbs and holistic healing will restore the 76-year-old to health soon.

Here's a report from Jambands.com yesterday.

Dead & Company descended on Cincinnati, Ohio’s Riverbend Music Center (Wednsday) as part of their ongoing summer tour. The two-set performance was brimming with Grateful Dead staples, covers and pairings. During the second set, Rhythm Devil, Bill Kreutzmann stepped down and was filled in by frequent Bob Weir collaborator Jay Lane.

Kruetzmann’s absence was not unprecedented: During Dead & Company’s shows in Boulder, Colo., he was spotted using an oxygen tank (though it could have been due to the high altitude), and during the band’s 2021 run the drummer sat out a total of five shows due to an unspecified non-COVID related illness. The sets–sans Kruetzmann–included two performances at Red Rocks Amphitheatre in Morrison, Colo., two sets for Fiddler’s Green Amphitheatre near Denver, and the tour closer at the Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles on Halloween 2021.

After Kreutzmann did not return to the stage for set two he wrote a post on social media that read, “Well, that was a really fun first set and I feel great, you guys. I did pull a muscle the other night in Boulder and while I’m fine, I’m going to sit out some of this next set. Hope you guys understand and don’t let the rumor mill make fools of you – I’m not giving up this drum chair anytime soon. See you later tonight.”

Kreutzmann, Bob Weir, Mickey Hart, Jeff Chimenti, John Mayer, and Oteil Burbridge

Mayan

Reaction score
I was at the Halloween show when Jay Lane sat in. I also saw them @ Shoreline on 6/13 and 6/14, Bill looked and sounded great I thought. In fact, he seemed to have a lot more energy than he did in late 2021 (I saw them in San Diego and also the first of their 3 shows @ the Hollywood Bowl). So I wasn’t shocked when he sat out the second set on Halloween. But like I said, he seemed to be in great form 10 or 12 days ago. I might make their show in Pittsburgh on 7/12 a good reason to make a surprise visit my family in PA, hopefully Bill K. is alright.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Farout magazine just published a statement from Kreutzmann:

“Well, friends, I was hoping to be back in the saddle already, but since I’m not quite there yet, I thought I’d tell you exactly what’s going on,” Kreutzmann wrote. “No more speculation or rumours. I’m OK! It’s not my heart. And I’m not retiring! As most of you know, I had a back issue that suddenly appeared in Boulder, but I nipped it in the bud. Just as I was ready to come back full-strength, I pulled a positive on an antigen test.”

“Despite all the tour protocols that I took very seriously, it still got me. Darn it,” Kreutzmann continued. “My case was mild and – thankfully – I’m testing negative again. However my strength isn’t quite back to show level. But it gets closer every day. I miss seeing all of your faces. I haven’t thrown in the towel and I cannot wait for our joyful reunion. I love you all so much.”

studrum

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Farout magazine just published a statement from Kreutzmann:

“Well, friends, I was hoping to be back in the saddle already, but since I’m not quite there yet, I thought I’d tell you exactly what’s going on,” Kreutzmann wrote. “No more speculation or rumours. I’m OK! It’s not my heart. And I’m not retiring! As most of you know, I had a back issue that suddenly appeared in Boulder, but I nipped it in the bud. Just as I was ready to come back full-strength, I pulled a positive on an antigen test.”

“Despite all the tour protocols that I took very seriously, it still got me. Darn it,” Kreutzmann continued. “My case was mild and – thankfully – I’m testing negative again. However my strength isn’t quite back to show level. But it gets closer every day. I miss seeing all of your faces. I haven’t thrown in the towel and I cannot wait for our joyful reunion. I love you all so much.”

This is good to hear!

Mayan

Reaction score
I was at the Halloween show when Jay Lane sat in. I also saw them @ Shoreline on 6/13 and 6/14, Bill looked and sounded great I thought. In fact, he seemed to have a lot more energy than he did in late 2021 (I saw them in San Diego and also the first of their 3 shows @ the Hollywood Bowl). So I wasn’t shocked when he sat out the second set on Halloween. But like I said, he seemed to be in great form 10 or 12 days ago. I might make their show in Pittsburgh on 7/12 a good reason to make a surprise visit my family in PA, hopefully Bill K. is alright.
I DID make the trip, and it was a great show! Jay Lane is a fine replacement. Get well Bill Kreutzmann!

Mayan

Reaction score
As the original members depart the formation, the hand picked replacements will carry the torch for another 20 plus years with folks like Mayer and Lane. They started in 2015.
I’m not sure if Dead & Co. works the same way that I read the Grateful Dead used to work, with each member being paid equally, regardless of when they joined the band. If not, I hope the hired guns that are John Mayer, Oteil Burbridge and Jeff Chimenti (and more recently Jay Lane), are paid a fat premium for their services. These shows generate a lot of dough!!! No matter what, they are all so clearly having such a great time. I wish I was sticking around for the last two shows of the tour in NYC!

JimmyM

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure if Dead & Co. works the same way that I read the Grateful Dead used to work, with each member being paid equally, regardless of when they joined the band. If not, I hope the hired guns that are John Mayer, Oteil Burbridge and Jeff Chimenti (and more recently Jay Lane), are paid a fat premium for their services. These shows generate a lot of dough!!! No matter what, they are all so clearly having such a great time. I wish I was sticking around for the last two shows of the tour in NYC!
I’m sure they get paid well, but John Mayer isn’t going out of the house for less than what he can make on his own, I’ll bet. And I would put money on him getting paid way more than Jay or Oteil.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also saw Dead and Co. on 6/13 and 6/14.... great shows, both drummers were on fire, and the band jams for nearly three hours! Including an intense drum solo session....

Get well, Billy! He is one of the four original members that played every single Grateful Dead show......

tdcrjeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I also saw Dead and Co. on 6/13 and 6/14.... great shows, both drummers were on fire, and the band jams for nearly three hours! Including an intense drum solo session....

Get well, Billy! He is one of the four original members that played every single Grateful Dead show......
Billy missed 11/22/68 in Columbus OH due to illness.

Slam630

Reaction score
Billy missed 11/22/68 in Columbus OH due to illness.

What‘s your source on this? An eyewitness says Bill was there.

on topic, I’ve been watching a lot of the D&C shows this tour and last and there is plenty of outstanding music happening.

tdcrjeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What‘s your source on this? An eyewitness says Bill was there.

on topic, I’ve been watching a lot of the D&C shows this tour and last and there is plenty of outstanding music happening.
You know, the internet. It's definitely open to debate. The recording, bad as it is, sounds like it could just be Mickey.

Mayan

Reaction score
I’ve been watching a lot of the D&C shows this tour and last and there is plenty of outstanding music happening.
Definitely is. As I said, I wished I was sticking around the east coast after the Pittsburgh show, but I flew back to SoCal. Really should have stayed, because now I have another red eye to NYC tonight for the last two shows!

Slam630

Reaction score
Definitely is. As I said, I wished I was sticking around the east coast after the Pittsburgh show, but I flew back to SoCal. Really should have stayed, because now I have another red eye to NYC tonight for the last two shows!

Some great jams at Pittsburgh, space in particular was really wild.

I‘ve been doing couch tour and it has been quite enjoyable. Have a great time in NYC!

Mayan

Reaction score
Space was really wild you’re right!! I had a great seat just 4 rows behind the pit.

1657861697567.jpeg