Update!! I bought a new kit! (Classic Maple's)

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So I've decided in the next couple of months to upgrade a notch up on my shells. I currently have Ludwig Evolution Maples: 22 kick, 8, 10, 12, 13 toms & 14, 16 floor toms.
I'm gonna go for the same sizes minus the 8 tom. Considering that I have roto toms, I've found the 8 tom to be quite useless. I'd love Classic Maples but they go beyond budget. I just want something that is a step up from what I've got. So far my eyes and ears like the following kits:
-Pearl Session studio select
-Ludwig Neusonic
-Sonor AQ2
I know I have to buy a couple of separate component drums to complete my desired sizes but that's ok.
I'd be total at roughly $2000-$2500 to make this happen with said shell packs + component drums which is fine. And I want new and not used!
Let me know what you think about these kits (and possibly others)
LRod

Last edited:

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Do we have to pick the color?
Or what color are we going for here
Oh no! Here we go!! Your not picking anything! I'm picking. Just want opinions. These aren't just $90 worth of drumheads. They are the shells that cost a heck of a lot more. And since I can't see them in person, I'd like opinions on quality, sound, etc.. And maybe some kits that I'd be overlooking in my search.

Last edited:

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sonor AQ for sure!
Ok that's a start. For some reason I sensed the Sonor's would be the first mentioned. All Maple vs the Pearl's which are a mix of Birch & Mahogany. Different sounds for sure! The Sonor's are beautiful looking though especially in that Titanium Quartz color.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Also if you change brands, have you thought of hardware changes as well?

Just a thought,
sherm
The Sonor has 2 mounted toms so I would just need to purchase 1 mount for the 3rd tom.
The other 2 have virgin bass drums so I would need 3 tom mounts. And of course, I'd replace the factory heads! Either way, no big deal!
Other than that, I don't think I would need anything else. All my other stuff, pedal, stands etc.., would stay the same. Thanks for pointing that out. Thinking about it, adding that stuff + the component drums would probably make all three kits about the same cost.
I just noticed that Sweetwater has the white Sonor's on sale right now for $999 for a 5 piece. That's a fantastic price considering it would save me about $350. All I would have to add is the extra tom + floor tom and 1 tom mount. Unfortunately though I'm not ready to buy right now. I'd also love to sell my current shells before buying the new shells.

hsosdrum

Reaction score
I wouldn't spend that kind of money ($2k – $2.5k) to go up just "a notch" in drum quality. You'd be moving from one mid-line drum series to another mid-line series, which IMHO is just a sideways move. If you're looking to change your sonic signature you can do that simply by changing to different model drumheads for a fraction of the cost of a new kit.

Since you say your ultimate goal is to own a top-of-the-line series like the Classic Maples, my suggestion is to stick with your Evolution Maples and wait until you have saved enough to afford what you really want. Buy once; cry once.

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Buy used. You’ll get way more kit for your money.

Also, someone will say it eventually, so might as well be me: look at INDe. Josh’s drums are pretty special. There’s a reason they pop up every time someone asks for new kit recommendations on here.

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
With that budget, you could get Sonor Vintage Series, Gretsch Brooklyn, Sakae Trilogy, George Way, C&C, Ludwig Classic Maples in MINT condition from Reverb. I've seen all those sell for under 2k. Forget the idea that the drumheads were only touched by you and step into the upper echelon :)

Last edited:

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I wouldn't spend that kind of money ($2k – $2.5k) to go up just "a notch" in drum quality. You'd be moving from one mid-line drum series to another mid-line series, which IMHO is just a sideways move. If you're looking to change your sonic signature you can do that simply by changing to different model drumheads for a fraction of the cost of a new kit.

Since you say your ultimate goal is to own a top-of-the-line series like the Classic Maples, my suggestion is to stick with your Evolution Maples and wait until you have saved enough to afford what you really want. Buy once; cry once.
Thanks for the advice. In terms of the sound, the Evolutions sound OK. I've tried different types of heads and I'm quite happy with it's sound now. I'm just looking for better physical quality at this point. I believe the kits I've listed are mid tier but they are still much better than the Evolutions in the quality department. I'll give an example: The Evolutions have poor QC; imperfect bearing edges, badges that are installed without centering, internal nuts & bolts were loose since day 1, finish patterns that have different color tones, etc.. I believe something like the Sonor should not have those issues from what I have read, plus they have certain features like 10 lug bass drums. I like the Classic maples but if I never get to buy them, it's ok. Too much money to justify for my use! I'm a hobby drummer and don't gig so my kit never leaves the room. I will definitely consider what you've said though.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Buy used. You’ll get way more kit for your money.

Also, someone will say it eventually, so might as well be me: look at INDe. Josh’s drums are pretty special. There’s a reason they pop up every time someone asks for new kit recommendations on here.
I'll look at Inde. I haven't checked them out. I don't want used drums. I know you save money but I like them new.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
With that budget, you could get Sonor Vintage Series, Gretsch Brooklyn, Sakae Trilogy, George Way, C&C, Ludwig Classic Maples in MINT condition from Reverb. I've seen all those sell for under 2k. Forget the idea that the drumheads were only touched by you and step into the upper echelon :)
I definitely don't disagree but still like new! Maybe I'll end up doing what's been suggested of stretching out my timeline a bit and budget for Classic Maples. I've heard Classic Maples but haven't really seen a set in front of me. I'd love to know what really makes them worth what they cost. Does the physical sound and quality really reflect the thousands they cost?

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Don't be put off by the Pearls not being all maple, they sound fantastic. The toms have a big, deep sound.
Also, check out the Gretsch Renowns. They're top quality and of course have that great Gretsch sound!

DrumWhipper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Have you considered a kit from a “custom” company? I ask because I have one being built by Queen City Drums in Ohio - built to my specs, colors, etc. I was looking at a DW Collector kit before this, and I ended up getting exactly what I was looking for at around a $700 discount compared to what I would have paid if I would have bought the DW’s.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score

I agree with this. I'm a Ludwig guy and LOVE the classic maples. That's not to say other companies don't make great stuff either. If you are upgrading I just think it might make more sense to really jump up the quality when you can afford it.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
$2500 is no small budget! You have a myriad of options. Seriously.
You could get a mint 3 piece legacy kit for that money.
I mean look at these Broadkasters!

I agree with the sentiments put forward already. Doesn't it seem to you that buying another new mid-line kit would be somewhat of a waste of money?
If that's your budget, and you really want an upgrade in quality AND sound why does lightly used matter? Every kit listed so far would last generations if well taken care of, so why not expand options. What's the real difference between a current-used-mint kit and a new kit?

I can tell you. Mark-up.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Don't be put off by the Pearls not being all maple, they sound fantastic. The toms have a big, deep sound.
Also, check out the Gretsch Renowns. They're top quality and of course have that great Gretsch sound!
Cool! I'll check those out. I did hear the Pearl's and they sound great. That Birch/mahogany mix has a great tone.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Gear don't matter. Just as spending $2,500 on golf clubs won't lower your score, most drummers would be better off investing $2,500 in lessons than buying a new kit.
Um OK!! I don't see the relevance here in your response. I've been playing 38 years. No lessons needed! I just want a nicer kit because I like having nice stuff too. I drive a very lifted truck that I drive every day and don't use it to go mudding. I also have a motorcycle and I don't drive it fast even though it has the capability to go at high speeds. I have them because I enjoy owning them.

Last edited:

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
$2500 is no small budget! You have a myriad of options. Seriously.
You could get a mint 3 piece legacy kit for that money.
I mean look at these Broadkasters!

I agree with the sentiments put forward already. Doesn't it seem to you that buying another new mid-line kit would be somewhat of a waste of money?
If that's your budget, and you really want an upgrade in quality AND sound why does lightly used matter? Every kit listed so far would last generations if well taken care of, so why not expand options. What's the real difference between a current-used-mint kit and a new kit?

I can tell you. Mark-up.
Your correct! I can't argue with that. Maybe I'll expand looking at used.