Update!! I bought a new kit! (Classic Maple's)

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Congratulations on your new set. Good idea not getting the matching snare. Now, when GAS reoccurs, you can decide between 5" and 6.5", 8 or 10 lugs, Evans or Remo heads, etc.
Your not kidding!
I've got a Blacrolite for it but it's a 5". I love it but I'd like something a little more deep on sound. I was listening to some sound files last night and I think I'm sold on the 6.5 Supra. That will probably be the next addition but I've gotta order the 13 & 14 toms for the kit first. Right now I use the Blacrolite as primary and a Supralite as my aux. I'd like the Supraphonic as the primary and the Blacrolite as the aux. But one thing at a time!
As for heads, I'll see what the factory heads sound like and then start experimenting. I've got some brand new Aquarian texture coated batters and classic clear reso's. I'm sure I'll give them a try. I don't see anybody using Aquarians on Classic maples so I don't know how they will sound. The Evans G2 over G1 seems like a popular choice and from what I hear they sound great. I have never tried Evans!

Last edited:

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
8 or 10 tube lug Black beauty next on the agenda
Nice but I think ill be opting eventually for a Supra. You that your a Gretsch guy, that USA chrome over brass sounds pretty wicked.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
You’ll be on a five year honeymoon, after which you’ll have a wandering eye before you’ll fall in love with them all over again and renew your vows.
This will continue for four 5-year cycles, at which point you'll find yourself either on youtube or the Ludwig site, or both, and say to yourself, Dam those Legacies are nice.....;) :-D

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I've got a question for the Ludwig guys that have bought separate component drums. I'm gonna be ordering the 13" tom for the kit soon. I know that they include the Vibraband but I'd like to know if my current tom arm that's connected to the cymbal stand will work. (It's Ludwig too). I use my current tom arm on a 13" Evolution maple. Is that a standard thing that will also work on the Classic Maple 13"?
Here is a picture of what I have:
View attachment 441771
Sorry I missed your question.
I did buy my kit as separate drums, but Ludwig didn't offer the Vibrabands in those days.
I know the traditional tom arm size for Ludwig is 9.5mm. That's why Gibraltar offers that size. I don't know about now, but back when I got my kit, the Ludwig tom mounts (with exception to the then-new Elite hardware) were rebadged Gibraltar hardware...not that that is a bad thing.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sorry I missed your question.
I did buy my kit as separate drums, but Ludwig didn't offer the Vibrabands in those days.
I know the traditional tom arm size for Ludwig is 9.5mm. That's why Gibraltar offers that size. I don't know about now, but back when I got my kit, the Ludwig tom mounts (with exception to the then-new Elite hardware) were rebadged Gibraltar hardware...not that that is a bad thing.
All my stands are Gibraltar so I'd be fine with that. So I'll be looking at Gibraltar if I end up needing the mounts. Thanks for the info!

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
You're welcome.
FWIW, I ended up going with Gretsch.....

DSCN2107.JPG

...and why, sometimes, my kit is referred to as the Gretschwig (although I prefer Ludwitsch )
I needed an offset mount, since the Gibraltar single tom mount my drums came with weren't.
I'd seen other mounts and $40 didn't seem like a bad price for a new tom mount.
It uses a similar arm to my Gibraltar, so I just swapped arms (Gretsch is 12mm, Ludwig is 9.5) and have been a happy camper ever since.

Elvis

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Glad you went with the CM's everything else you were looking at were great but I feel like you wanted the CM's most .... Congrats. Pictures? Did I miss them in all the posts?

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Glad you went with the CM's everything else you were looking at were great but I feel like you wanted the CM's most .... Congrats. Pictures? Did I miss them in all the posts?
Thanks! Well I just ordered so I just posted the picture from Ludwig's listing. They should be here next week. You can see them in the middle of page 7. That's the kit that I ordered and I'll be ordering a 13 tom & 14 floor tom as well.

maxb2k

Reaction score
Hey Irod, congratulations on your forever kit. Ludwig Classic Maples are great sounding drums, and the Black Oyster Pearl finish are a classic for good reason. Well done!!

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So I'll be ordering my 2 Xtra toms for my kit on Thursday. I've decided to also get a new snare to accompany the kit. (wife gave the green light for the snare!) I have a 5" Blacrolite but want something a bit deeper (non wood). I've settled on the Gretsch USA Custom Bronze 6.5x14 for the new snare. I love how that thing sounds and I believe it will complement the kit very well. I could go for the Ludwig Bronze phonic but I like how the Gretsch sounds better. The Gretsch snare sound Is a different sound that is very unique! I'll be posting as stuff comes in and the setup of everything.

Last edited:

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I couldn't buy anything but a Ludwig snare with this kit .
I hear you! I kind of feel the same but that Gretsch sound's damn good! I'm still on the fence though. Still going back and forth between the Supra & Gretsch to see what my ears like the most. I believe though that the snare being an individual drum is something that can be from whatever brand. We'll see what I end up with.

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Is not only what your ears like the most it's what your hands like the most (if your hands how much so are adaptable..) . Gretsch snares tall Cast Hoop take some acclimation ("the fight") ; not just a matter of ears; You have to find the notes (on either) with wrists arms elbows and hands; but you get on to it after awhile./but pretty much /chalk and cheese/ about as far apart/ as chalk and cheese/ can get/ lol

Last edited:

Matched Gripper

Reaction score
So here it is folks! I purchased my kit. I ended up buying what my heart really wanted all along. A Brand spanking new Ludwig Classic maple kit in the Vintage black oyster finish. Now I won't ever go through the dilemma of thinking that I want to get something better. I purchased it straight from Ludwig (no dealer in the middle). They have some mega deals through their Reverb factory store which I didn't even know existed. It will be coming direct from Monroe and will ship out in the next couple of days. I ordered the 4 piece 22, 10, 12 & 16 kit. It has the drilled bass which I really wanted and it has the mini lugs which I really like. It also includes all the mounting hardware for the toms and a double post. I think it will look and work great with my Blacrolite snare. They were asking $1969 and I contacted them this morning and they said they would accept $1850 including free shipping. I believe the asking price was excellent since the stores are retailing this kit for $2649 (with an undrilled bass!). And at the final price of $1850, I believe I got a deal I couldn't refuse. I did have to pay tax but that's OK! The difference between the price and the accepted final price ended up being roughly what I paid in tax so it worked out really well. I'll be adding a 13" tom and a 14" floor tom which I have to order from a dealer in the next couple of weeks. My budget was $2500 and after everything including the extra toms that I'll be ordering, I will be at about $2850 so that's fine. $350 over budget but with a truly professional forever kit. Thank you all for the guidance and opinions!
View attachment 441699
Very nice! Is that a 18x22 bass drum? If so, it's gonna be a cannon!

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Is not only what your ears like the most it's what your hands like the most (if your hands how much so are adaptable..) . Gretsch snares tall Cast Hoop take some acclimation ("the fight") ; not just a matter of ears; You have to find the notes (on either) with wrists arms elbows and hands; but you get on to it after awhile./but pretty much /chalk and cheese/ about as far apart/ as chalk and cheese/ can get/ lol
I guess what I mean is the sound is what we hear first. In terms of searching for a snare! Since everything is online we just have sound files to hear. But I totally get what you mean. I guess if I go Gretsch on the snare, I'd have to learn how to "differently" play it. That's OK by me!