Update!! I bought a new kit! (Classic Maple's)

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
200 posts! Nice!
I didn't even notice that. I usually don't keep track. Half are probably me answering back, LOL! I usually almost always respond to each person individually. Maybe I should start condensing responses into one big one.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I just wanted to share a couple of video's of the Gretsch USA Custom Bronze 6.5 that I'm eyeing. I think I've listened to all the 6.5's out there and their is nothing to me that sounds this good in this price range that's made of bronze. It's $479 new which is really a bargain compared to the other Bronze snares. And it's made in the USA! I Iknow I bought Ludwig's but I'm more than willing to throw this Gretsch snare in the middle! All the Ludwig's sound so much like my Blacrolite that I really don't see how I would buy a bigger sized Ludwig and have any noticeable sonic difference. So I believe the Gretsch snare will do the trick. The Ludwig Bronze phonic is also very nice and sounds good too but it's almost $1K which I think is too much for a snare. I don't plan on selling the snare so I don't worry about resale value.

Last edited:

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That thing is wicked but crazy expensive. It's over $1000. I Can't take that route! As it stands, when all is said and done, I'm already gonna be $800 over budget.
I'm sticking to bronze though. Love that sound!
I think the Gretsch covers all the bases. And at $479 USA made, I don't see it as prohibitively expensive.

Last edited:

CLIVEB

Reaction score
So here it is folks! I purchased my kit. I ended up buying what my heart really wanted all along. A Brand spanking new Ludwig Classic maple kit in the Vintage black oyster finish. Now I won't ever go through the dilemma of thinking that I want to get something better. I purchased it straight from Ludwig (no dealer in the middle). They have some mega deals through their Reverb factory store which I didn't even know existed. It will be coming direct from Monroe and will ship out in the next couple of days. I ordered the 4 piece 22, 10, 12 & 16 kit. It has the drilled bass which I really wanted and it has the mini lugs which I really like. It also includes all the mounting hardware for the toms and a double post. I think it will look and work great with my Blacrolite snare. They were asking $1969 and I contacted them this morning and they said they would accept $1850 including free shipping. I believe the asking price was excellent since the stores are retailing this kit for $2649 (with an undrilled bass!). And at the final price of $1850, I believe I got a deal I couldn't refuse. I did have to pay tax but that's OK! The difference between the price and the accepted final price ended up being roughly what I paid in tax so it worked out really well. I'll be adding a 13" tom and a 14" floor tom which I have to order from a dealer in the next couple of weeks. My budget was $2500 and after everything including the extra toms that I'll be ordering, I will be at about $2850 so that's fine. $350 over budget but with a truly professional forever kit. Thank you all for the guidance and opinions!
View attachment 441699
Congrats on your purchase. I had the same set written up and ready to order a few years ago at a considerably higher price.( I play a few gigs each year with a Beatles band. ) Then I thought about how my road worn early 70’s Ludwig kit with mahogany wrap would be sitting neglected in basement storage. I did the nasty and had them rewrapped. Vintage sound, saved some money and no regrets. I bought a custom matching snare for those gigs but if you are wanting a snare for your kit you can’t go wrong with a Supra. I have my first snare from 1965 and it is still the best sounding snare I own.

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Congrats on your purchase. I had the same set written up and ready to order a few years ago at a considerably higher price.( I play a few gigs each year with a Beatles band. ) Then I thought about how my road worn early 70’s Ludwig kit with mahogany wrap would be sitting neglected in basement storage. I did the nasty and had them rewrapped. Vintage sound, saved some money and no regrets. I bought a custom matching snare for those gigs but if you are wanting a snare for your kit you can’t go wrong with a Supra. I have my first snare from 1965 and it is still the best sounding snare I own.
CLIVEB did the nasty.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My kit arrives tomorrow. It was supposed to get here today and the darn freight company called me to notify me that they routed it to the wrong terminal in another town that's 100 miles North. Guess I just have to be patient. Very excited to go pick them up tomorrow. I'll have a busy weekend ahead of me!

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So I opened the boxes to take a look and make sure that everything is OK. As you know I bought it off of the Ludwig factory outlet. It was advertised as a "brand new New old stock" kit that was just used for photo shoots and was never played. It said and showed that it had a drilled bass drum and included all hardware. Well lo and behold, I open the box with the 2 rack toms and they had included in the box, 2 Atlas single tom clamps. First thing I thought was that they mistakenly sent those to me. Next I opened the box for the bass drum and I found a virgin bass! (picture attached at the end of the post)
I started looking through the paperwork and discovered that the kit they sent me was built last week (The add they had online for the one I supposedly bought was a few weeks old). As you know, I paid $1850 which was a bargain. I'm willing to live with the virgin bass but that means I'm gonna have to redo my whole setup and how I have things arranged. With the original one that I had ordered, it would have just been a simple shell swap from my old kit. But either way I'm happy! I mean, I ended up getting a "really really new" kit for that price! Does anyone know if this one with the virgin bass is worth less, more or the same as the one with the drilled bass?
IMG_20200521_2058577.jpg

hsosdrum

Reaction score
An undrilled bass drum may fetch a bit more in resale (a buyer won't be locked-into a particular type of mount) but the difference wouldn't amount to much after you consider the over all depreciation.

But remember, you didn't buy this because it would be worth a bunch of $$ in the future, you bought it to make music on! So go, have fun with your new drums already!!! And congratulations!

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just ask yourself if you are happy with what you have and take it from there. I feel like wondering if the bass is worth a few bucks more or less to decide what you may or may want to do is taking away from the whole experience of getting a really cool drum set you have been wanting.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
An undrilled bass drum may fetch a bit more in resale (a buyer won't be locked-into a particular type of mount) but the difference wouldn't amount to much after you consider the over all depreciation.

But remember, you didn't buy this because it would be worth a bunch of $$ in the future, you bought it to make music on! So go, have fun with your new drums already!!! And congratulations!
Thanks! You are correct, it's to play and not sell. I was just curious if Ludwig charged more, less or the same for the virgin bass.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just ask yourself if you are happy with what you have and take it from there. I feel like wondering if the bass is worth a few bucks more or less to decide what you may or may want to do is taking away from the whole experience of getting a really cool drum set you have been wanting.
Not at all! I couldn't be happier. It was just curiosity, that's all!