UPDATE, I used Flitz polish! What are these big dark marks on my Sabian HHX's?

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never liked the look of brilliant cymbals but that's just me.

I kinda like the look of the stains, like if the entire cymbal were like that.

Factory defect pretty sure, you'll get them replaced.
I think it would be fine as well if the whole cymbal was like that. But the way it is now looks weird.

Reaction score
Good to hear your experience. My 15" is an x-plosion crash and doesn't have the issue. I too should have gotten it all in the natural finish. Too late!
JDA suggested the Sabian cleaner in an earlier post but I've read 50/50 opinions about it. I guess I might try it hearing that you had some success.
No problems.

In my experience, the Sabian cleaner is relatively mild (I've never used any other product). Even when I let the cymbals "soak", it didn't affect the logos one bit (which I was surprised). You need to liberally drench the cymbals in the cleaner and let it sit and work its magic. If you try and use it like Windex (a small quick spray then immediately wiping it off), it will smear and streak.

Talktotommy

Reaction score
Are you serious? HAHAHAHA
Cool is when they look all nice and shiny the way they came from the factory. I mean the sound is fine but they look like they have some kind of skin disease.
Exactly -it matches the sound perfectly

Talktotommy

Reaction score
I take it you don't like Sabian then. Another clever post, congratulations!
No harm meant. Never owned that brand cymbal- but never liked recorded sound. Just having a little fun - all good-but I really do like how they look!

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
No harm meant. Never owned that brand cymbal- but never liked recorded sound. Just having a little fun - all good-but I really do like how they look!
It's all good. I really thought you were joking. At least someone likes the look. Maybe they should sell them that way as an option.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought there would be something on the FAQ sabian page (then saw it was written by Bermuda)
but..I read nothing about a 'coating' (as mentioned by a member in a post above) and I didn't really/actually advocate or push Polish I just imagined that would be Sabian 1st response (I have no idea)

But anyway /whether there is a Spray Coat...I'm not sure that's what's going on here with the discoloration.

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
But anyway /whether there is a Spray Coat...I'm not sure that's what's going on here with the discoloration.
All the big makers coat their cymbals, at least the brilliant finished ones. Otherwise they would start oxidizing from fingerprints already when they are handled at the shops, and they would be much harder to sell.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
well I don't know if re applying the coating is the solution here I dunno
as pgm suggests he must know
I've had issues with their brilliant finish in the past.
They'll send you a UPS shipper tag and reapply the finish
that 's what I was referring to.
The word "finish" in his response.
could mean two things. "Finish" as in the actual buffing
or as in a clear spray coating

Last edited:

daveplaydrum

Reaction score
It looks similar to my Sabian Artisan symphonic cymbals that I bought new. It came off fairly easy with lemon juice. I emailed the pic to Sabian and they just asked where I got them but by that time I’d have cleaned it off with no issues. Now they look and sound fine.

Attachments

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought there would be something on the FAQ sabian page (then saw it was written by Bermuda)
but..I read nothing about a 'coating' (as mentioned by a member in a post above) and I didn't really/actually advocate or push Polish I just imagined that would be Sabian 1st response (I have no idea)

I'm just gonna wait for Sabian to write back as see what they recommend before I do anything else.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you dust off or wipe your cymbals down with anything regularly?
Yes, a california duster which is microfiber. Problem is I haven't had them long enough to even do the first dusting. They were crystal clean when this started happening.

andlours

Reaction score
Yes, a california duster which is microfiber. Problem is I haven't had them long enough to even do the first dusting. They were crystal clean when this started happening.
Weird. The reason I ask is the staining looks like it could almost be an area that was rubbed or wasn't rubbed with something. I own a lot of sabians and have never seen anything like that.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Weird. The reason I ask is the staining looks like it could almost be an area that was rubbed or wasn't rubbed with something. I own a lot of sabians and have never seen anything like that.
Yep, weird! The cymbals are a couple months old and haven't been cleaned with anything.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just received a long response from the Sabian rep. According to him, the brilliant cymbals with raw bells have no special coating on them. He's also stated that because of that, my cymbals are easily restored vs. natural finish cymbals. Glad then that I didn't buy the natural finish because I really love the brilliant finish. I will be following his advice on cleaning the cymbals and hope to have this issue resolved with that. I'm glad that I wrote them because now I really know what to use to clean all my HHX's. Instead of boring you with the whole email response, here is an excerpt of the solution that he recommends:

"The good news is that it should be fairly easily remedied, as brilliant finish cymbals are easier to restore than natural finish ones, particularly ones like these that do not have a protective coating on them. (Any brilliant finish cymbal that has a raw bell does not have a coating) The Sabian Safe and Sound cymbal cleaner should work well. You can also pick up a tube of Flitz Metal Polish at most hardware stores. That product does an amazing job of restoring the sheen of a brilliant finish non coated cymbal. We also offer a cymbal refresh program that you could use as well. However with that, you'd need to be without your cymbal for potentially weeks."