UPDATE Ludwig cortex finish removal - what a pain!

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well, I royally screwed it up! I taped about 1.5" from each edge and shot it black. The first edge, I didn't put enough blue tape and actually oversprayed into the center which is supposed to be natural. I then used the stripper to clean the center, dried it, sanded, wet, and resanded 2X. I then taped AMPLE on the other side and shot it with no issues. To give myself little fade and more of a center natural color (which was still lightly tinted black despite stripping), I only gave myself another 1.5" to fade per side. To insure I didn't again hit the center, I put packaging tape - not ideal - but it worked. But the real issue was that I could not fade it right with such little space, and and bottom line, messed it up big time! I had tried on cardboard before I started, and I did a decent fade. But when it counted, I choked! I tried to put some amber lacquer in the center to darken it which only made it worse and stained onto the black bands.

It is now sitting with stripper all over it! I am starting from scratch although I did mess up a "virgin" outer shell. I really need a lazy susan to do this. Hanging it sideways off a rod was not good idea at all.......impatient + no technique + improper tools + ample smugness = FAIL!!!

What was I thinking watching a few YT vids of experienced guitar artisans doing this with real sprayers.....that I could do it by hand with a spray can??? What an @$$! I love doing - I hate screwing it up....Well, I accomplished both tonite! Back to the YT drawing board........

20190314_233230.jpg 20190314_234311.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well, my buddy for whom I was testing this finish, has decided to go another route. I gave him this shell and he will mess with it. He wants to do some sort of electrical staining called the Lichtenstein method or something????? Good luck to him as that method seems crazy!

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
WOW! That looks dicey! Looks like that "lab method" would even scare the pants off a guy like Victor Von Frankenstein.

Do you like the pattern is some what unpredictable/random? Also, you're dealing with plys vs. solid wood in this example (or other examples I've seen on YT).

I saw this YT vid on doing a print transfer to wood and thought it might be of some use to your project as the predictability/control is much better than electrocuting the wood .

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I don't like it and it looks crazy dangerous! Whatever........I wanted to do the fade but my buddy doesn't want it anymore (I don't blame him as I messed it up royally!)......I going to do one of my own projects......maybe a duco.......

Salem street drums

DFO Sponsor
Sponsor
Reaction score
I’ve done a few of these fade and duco finishes.....they are very hard to do with out professional equipment, paint guns, air compressor, lazy Susan and loads of other stuff. I’ve never been able to produce one that looked perfect.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Luckily, I'm not looking for perfect - just pretty dang good! Hoping to pick up a lazy susan soon to mess with this more.....and yes, part of my challenge is to try and do it without any real spray tools......

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ve done a few of these fade and duco finishes.....they are very hard to do with out professional equipment, paint guns, air compressor, lazy Susan and loads of other stuff. I’ve never been able to produce one that looked perfect.
I have all of the professional equipment at hand and I spray pigments, stains, dyes and clears everyday seems like. But the Duco and the fade finishes are difficult, I have tried them and it takes more than just tools it takes practice and pure skill.

Salem street drums

DFO Sponsor
Sponsor
Reaction score
I have all of the professional equipment at hand and I spray pigments, stains, dyes and clears everyday seems like. But the Duco and the fade finishes are difficult, I have tried them and it takes more than just tools it takes practice and pure skill.
Very true. I ended up taking a kit to a friend of mine who owns a body shop. He works a paint gun every day, and he was a little hesitant to paint them for me. He eventually did it for me and they came out great.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
My buddy, for whom I was trying this pattern, has a beat up $200 Tama Rockstar kit with an old tired yellowed "white" wrap. The plan was to do a stain or this fade. However, he is adamant about now doing this crazy thing with the electricity staining. I have tried to talk him out of it but he's being a stubborn @$$, so I am out of this project........thank you all.

I still plan a duco at some point soon.....

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
So my buddy decided to finish the shell using the electricity method to " stain" it. I have to say that I am impressed he didn't shock himself to death and I can't believe how nice it turned out. I think he is totally excited about this and is going to do his own set. I'm hoping he will do at least a snare drum for me because it is just so darn cool looking!

The next question is this: what color should he stain the wood? I am thinking either just natural or something light or maybe even like a Gunstock. He wants something dark but I think it will mask the beauty of what he did. I have also suggested that he take an awl and scrape the center groove of the large branches so that the natural wood color comes through which may add to contrast the killer design.

Any input is appeciated.....thanks!

20190326_173243.jpg20190326_173248.jpg20190326_173252.jpg20190326_173256.jpg20190326_173312.jpg

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That is pretty cool, dont know if I would want a whole kit like that but it is kind of cool. I would suggest as you did, a natural finish, no stain.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That came out much better than I thought it would!

JDG - Your finishing ideas are pretty solid. I would also suggest clear or a light stain so you don't hide the new design, and I like the idea to use the awl to get some branch effects.

Latest posts