Update- no definition in your washy ride...

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Jay part of it is this is Austin....you aren't supposed to cloud up all the "wonderful" guitar solos....It's Guitar Town remember!?! I've seen this for a while now "Hey how bout you play brushes tonight" or "man I loved the small set you brought tonight(8x20 kick, no toms, one 18" dark ride) don't know why you'd play anything else" I really think some of these guys would like me to just stay at home but they have to have a drummer so people dance.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Jay part of it is this is Austin....you aren't supposed to cloud up all the "wonderful" guitar solos....It's Guitar Town remember!?! I've seen this for a while now "Hey how bout you play brushes tonight" or "man I loved the small set you brought tonight(8x20 kick, no toms, one 18" dark ride) don't know why you'd play anything else" I really think some of these guys would like me to just stay at home but they have to have a drummer so people dance.
I was hoping you'd chime in. We'll meet soon.

gbow

Reaction score
As an old guy who doesn't particularly like this type of cymbal combo... I had to break down and purchase the Zildjian K Custom Dry Cymbal Box Set just for the times when I had someone who really wanted that washy, trashy sound. When you do a lot of session work, you have to be prepared for the whipper snappers :)

A sign of the times I guess. You have to move with the fashion or be outcast (from "cut my hair" by The Who)

gabo

tripp2k

Reaction score
It's finding the optimum balance. I've gone through 10 rides bought off the Internet searching for the right blend. The results have ranged from the dank dank dank sewer system cover that the traditionalists somehow get in to all the way to 100% uncontrollable wash (a combo of both being the absolute worst...Big Al 2002 ride, I'm recalling your mess). Plenty of in between but buying off the Internet results in a tone smorgasborg often falling in an area that ain't pretty. I'm going to go out and play a bunch of 23" K Sweet rides and see if I can find "the one". I think this is the type of cymbal that will fit in the area this thread speaks of while also doubling as an extra crash. Just my opinion and what I intend to do about it. YMMV

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
I was waiting for someone to say- "there's no cymbals" in that--; ) and it's all (hearing..(drone.... Sitar...

By answer would have 'yeah maybe so' but to 'duplicate' it you'd have to wash that ride!

Last edited:

Ludzil

Reaction score
I’m all for a thunderous wash if it lends itself to the music, I always liked Keith Moons wild cymbal sound. Didn’t like the overall cleaner sound as much with Kenny Jones. Zak Starkeys cymbals were more authentic to the music
He takes after his father regarding washy cymbals