Update on bitten by Gretsch. Bass drum found!

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
This is not entirely true as my first set that I still own is a 1974 Gretsch 22,12,13,16 with a chrome 70's snare. However I have always had a secret desire to own a round badge Gretsch progressive jazz set. I have seen some over the years but honestly a lot of the Gretsch drums from the 60's I have come across are either out of round, drilled with someone else's hardware or has bad finish problems. I tend to be picky when it comes to this and unfortunately just about any old Gretsch that would meet my criteria are just way too much money.

A friend of mine scored a champagne sparkle lot of drums a few weeks ago and this is what he got:

All Champagne sparkle:

Slingerland- 1961 14x22, rail attached but drilled with a Ludwig center mount.

Ludwig- 9x13 late 70's in good shape. Late 70's concert toms in good shape.

Gretsch- Round badge 5x14 name band snare, 8x12 (drilled with a Ludwig mount but a Gretsch mount will cover the holes), 14x14 (missing the bottom muffler)

I bought the Gretsch pieces and the Ludwig concert toms. The Gretsch pieces look incredible. I need to find the missing parts and re-glue the seams on the shells, which should not be a big deal. I'm going to take each drum apart and give them a proper cleaning too. I took the lugs off of the 12 and it looks like there is barely any fade going on. Now I just need to save up some cash and hunt down a nice looking 20" bass drum which I am going to be picky about too. I hate how 50's Gretsch have the rail so far to the left and a cymbal bracket on top of the bass drum. I'm not sure champagne sparkle was around in the 50's anyway. I want my drum to have the rail and cymbal mount in the 60's positions. I am really looking forward to getting these together.

The Ludwig concert toms are cool too. Not sure when I would use those but they are a great match to my 2012 classic maple champagne sparkle Ludwig set. I ordered that set with B/O badges for a 70's look and the concert toms have B/O badges too! Win win..

Gretsch2.jpg

Gretsch1.jpg

Gretsch3.jpg

Gretsch4.jpg

Last edited:

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Great score there Kurt. Hope an exceptable bass drum falls into your lap in short order.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
temporary long shot::...

In the future if ever "bitten by Gretsch" immediately put a " diamond plate" on it and wrap it tight till you can get to a nurse or ER ;)

addendum: DonnieB! (the seller/member above there) Just scored a 14x20 in near mint Champagne 1962 drum (don't think he's into to selling it but you may want to check in with Donnie!..)

Last edited:

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Thanks JDA. That's a cool little bass drum. I need to build up some funds again before I buy a bass drum. Hopefully the funds and the bass drum will appear sooner than later. In the meantime I will be cleaning up the other pieces to get them as nice as possible.

Thanks again for all your help Kevin!

Reactions: JDA

donbseattle

Reaction score
Hi guys!
16 x 14 round badge bass drum Don here. aka Donny B. Kurt, I think you would dig my bass drum. It sounds great and I am sure you can have fun turning it into a beauty. Thanks Joe for putting us all together. Kurt, I can send you this drum, special deal for you.....shhhhhhhh.......550 shipped! If you can do it between now and next Monday, June 29th. Paypal
to donbseattle@hotmail.com
A great value! If and when you obtain a costly, larger Round Badge bass drum, you will be very glad you grabbed this rare gem while you could. It is great to have bass drum choices!

Cheers,

Don

Reactions: egw

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Hi guys!
16 x 14 round badge bass drum Don here. aka Donny B. Kurt, I think you would dig my bass drum. It sounds great and I am sure you can have fun turning it into a beauty. Thanks Joe for putting us all together. Kurt, I can send you this drum, special deal for you.....shhhhhhhh.......550 shipped! If you can do it between now and next Monday, June 29th. Paypal
to donbseattle@hotmail.com
A great value! If and when you obtain a costly, larger Round Badge bass drum, you will be very glad you grabbed this rare gem while you could. It is great to have bass drum choices!

Cheers,

Don
Thanks for the offer Don. I will think about it but will probably have to pass. I just don't have the funds right now and I need to sell a couple of things so I can fund the parts and the other bass drum (if and when it comes).

donbseattle

Reaction score
Thanks for the offer Don. I will think about it but will probably have to pass. I just don't have the funds right now and I need to sell a couple of things so I can fund the parts and the other bass drum (if and when it comes).
Understood and best wishes on your drum projects!!!

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
Kurt, I have a 14x20 Round badge bass drum in very nice shape. It has modern leg mounts (think Gibraltar that flip down) and the old vintage holes were filled. It is drilled for a Yamaha 4 point mount (not on it but I may have one). It was professionally re-wrapped in bermuda sand (modern) champagne (full glue) with no seam issues and the wrap is like new. The edges are great. Silver sealer inside but no label. It has no badge, no lugs/hardware or hoops.

I do want to sell it for a reasonable price. If you are interested, please PM me.

ThomasL

Reaction score
You could consider buying a 20/13/16 kit as well. These sizes are usually very reasonably priced and then you would have a nice shell bank to choose from.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Too cool! Nice score.
Did you by any chance play all of the mismatched drums together?

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Kurt, I have a 14x20 Round badge bass drum in very nice shape. It has modern leg mounts (think Gibraltar that flip down) and the old vintage holes were filled. It is drilled for a Yamaha 4 point mount (not on it but I may have one). It was professionally re-wrapped in bermuda sand (modern) champagne (full glue) with no seam issues and the wrap is like new. The edges are great. Silver sealer inside but no label. It has no badge, no lugs/hardware or hoops.

I do want to sell it for a reasonable price. If you are interested, please PM me.
Thanks for the offer. The other pieces are so nice I think I'm going to hold out for a pretty nice bass drum that is all original.

Kurt,

Let me know what parts you need. I may have them in my stash.

Rick
Rick, I don't need much. The floor tom is missing a muffler and the 8x12 is missing the diamond tom mount. The snare is in amazing shape and 100 percent original. I may take the micro-sensitive apart and see if I can get it to work better. The snare will go up and down but the handle just does not stay in place when the drum is fully engaged. At least I know I could very easily get a reproduction micro that I hear works great. Please let me know if you have those two pieces Rick and maybe we can work something out. BTW my serial numbers are as follows:

12: Model 4414 Serial 31992
14: Model 4417 Serial 32301
Snare: Model 4157 Serial 51098

Thanks Rick!

Too cool! Nice score.
Did you by any chance play all of the mismatched drums together?
I never had the chance to play everything together but one thing that I thought was pretty cool was that between the '61 Slingerland, the 60's Gretsch and the late 70's Ludwig, the wrap all matched quite well. In fact the wrap on the concert toms matches my 2012 classic maple champagne nicely too. I figured there would be a fair amount of difference but was surprised that there was not. Definitely some but not nearly as much as I expected.

champagne concert.jpg

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
Kurt, I do have a pristine 14x20 champagne RB bass. All original except has bermuda sand (modern) inlays.....PM me if interested.......

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Not mine.
I’d help score this when I’m back in town if it meets your specs....

I did see this and I appreciate your willingness to help! I thought about reaching out to the seller to see if he would ship as he is in NY and I am in NH. I do have a few slight concerns though. The finish has a crack in it that runs along the top several inches long. Does anyone know if that could spread or what could be done to fill it in? It's also missing the inlays in the hoops and I was wondering if anyone makes a champagne sparkle that would be pretty close to this? It looks like it could definitely have potential.

1593193647747.png

fishaa

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don’t know exactly how to address a crack like that other than maybe injecting some glue and holding it in place somehow.

In any case, I bet it would clean up really nicely. That post has been up for a few months.. maybe since the beginning of the year, so I’m sure he’s flexible with the price.

Good luck and keep us posted!!

Latest posts