Update on Charlie Watts and his Gretsch's

John DeChristopher

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
@John DeChristopher both Gretsch kits look awesome wow. If you ever decide to part with the natural maple kit please let me know. The only reason I’d take the NM one over the black is because I already have a black Premier kit :)
Thanks. It's a deal. Funny you should mention a black Premier kit. I have a blue shimmer Premier kit I'm giving to my son and am looking to replace it. I found a black Premier kit at Music Go Round in Natick, MA which is priced a little high and upon close scrutiny, has a large scratch on the floor tom not referenced at all in the description, so actually priced very high. Moral of the story is buyer beware.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks. It's a deal. Funny you should mention a black Premier kit. I have a blue shimmer Premier kit I'm giving to my son and am looking to replace it. I found a black Premier kit at Music Go Round in Natick, MA which is priced a little high and upon close scrutiny, has a large scratch on the floor tom not referenced at all in the description, so actually priced very high. Moral of the story is buyer beware.
I thought I saw a photo of you playing a black Olympic kit, or maybe it wasn’t yours or maybe that was blue shimmer actually that looked like black in the photo.

John DeChristopher

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I thought I saw a photo of you playing a black Olympic kit, or maybe it wasn’t yours or maybe that was blue shimmer actually that looked like black in the photo.
That's the kit. It's a blue shimmer Olympic kit, but it looks black. My son loves it, so I'm giving it to him at the end of the summer.

4A075388-3AF1-4526-BEF4-658F60759AB7_1_105_c.jpeg

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
That's the kit. It's a blue shimmer Olympic kit, but it looks black. My son loves it, so I'm giving it to him at the end of the summer.

View attachment 511568

What a nice gesture. My stepson does not play but if he did and had an interest in such things, I would probably give him just about anything if I knew it was to be well cared for and loved. At this point now, all of my stuff will just be more a burden if he were to end up with it. Lol.

John DeChristopher

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What a nice gesture. My stepson does not play but if he did and had an interest in such things, I would probably give him just about anything if I knew it was to be well cared for and loved. At this point now, all of my stuff will just be more a burden if he were to end up with it. Lol.
Thanks, Kurt. He's loved my Premier kit since I got it four years ago. It's a great little kit, but it never won me over like my Gretsch kits or Rogers kit. So it will go to a great home and my grandkids can play it too. It's on the Vineyard now (I used the bass drum and snare last week for a last minute gig) and he's taking it with him at the end of August. My wife is happy I'll have one less kit (10) though I'm looking for another Premier or maybe a Fibes kit ;)

How about a distant cousin? Lol

View attachment 511660
Beautiful kit. I've always lusted after Red Rosewood. I think it's the nicest Gretsch finish. Certainly the nicest wood finish.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Thanks, Kurt. He's loved my Premier kit since I got it four years ago. It's a great little kit, but it never won me over like my Gretsch kits or Rogers kit. So it will go to a great home and my grandkids can play it too. It's on the Vineyard now (I used the bass drum and snare last week for a last minute gig) and he's taking it with him at the end of August. My wife is happy I'll have one less kit (10) though I'm looking for another Premier or maybe a Fibes kit ;)

Beautiful kit. I've always lusted after Red Rosewood. I think it's the nicest Gretsch finish. Certainly the nicest wood finish.
Thanks John. It has certainly grown on me over the years. I thought it was rather boring when I was 12 and I had also never heard of Gretsch but I wasn't about to complain since I had a drum set. Lol....

I am wondering something. I know Charlie played Gretsch drums since 1968 but once he made the switch, what was he using for a snare throughout the late 60's and into the 70's? Did he ever use a Gretsch snare?

DD

Reaction score
Would be very interested to see the original pics from this thread if anybody saved them off the website… such a cool kit (and drummer… and Charlie seemed like a great overall person!)

Houndog

DFO Master
Reaction score

I’ve got a Fibes kit I’d sell 24/13/16/18
Minty fresh !!!

Attachments

hawker

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Would be very interested to see the original pics from this thread if anybody saved them off the website… such a cool kit (and drummer… and Charlie seemed like a great overall person!)
Yes, would love to see these photos as well They would be especially poignant and insightful now that Charley has passed. Thank you.

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
great pics...thanks for posting.

is ward wilson still doing work?
i googled him awhile back,nothing came up on him.

are you still doing refinishing work?
I'm with you Hawker, I'm the Ward Wilson referred to early in this thread (and above) and I have never seen a pic of Charlie with the drum I did. I've posted the story and pics from the project here in a thread, but never have seen a photo of the assembled drum! Would love to see any photos that might have been saved.