Update on Charlie Watts and his Gretsch's

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
dontfeartheringo said:
"Nothing on this site that really address ordering from him or what he may have in stock. Is it just a personal one-off kind of thing? Prices?"

I just emailed him at the address on the site and he got back to me in 20 minutes.

All of those bags in the photo I posted are $75 each, pretty sure. I would suggest giving him a shout.
This is unbelievable! That's what I paid new in '77, and these are ALSO made in the U.S.! Yes!

dontfeartheringo said:
I've been wanting a CW replica kit for a while now. Missed out on that was for sale on DFO.
I didn't. :wink:

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Jim Hodgson said:
Awesome thread! Thanks for the incredible pics. :thumbup:

Have to tell everyone this, though. I was just doing a really careful examination of the RB pics in light of Bill's post above. My GF looked over and said, "no more project drums ... those look like crap!" :icon_e_surprised: She thought I was on CL. LMAO! :icon_mrgreen:
Wow, it's cool that she knows our lingo...on the other hand, watch out, she's on to you!

kevmey

Reaction score
Hi, my first post on here - I'm a CRW nut from England.
Re, the age of Charlies set, I noticed in the pic taken from Jeff Nicholls book, if you look very closely, there appears to be what looks like a Gretsch label inside the bottom of the bass drum shell. That dates it post 1962 ?? It's also interesting to note that the spurs seem to have a plate inside the shell, for extra strength ?
It would be interesting to know where the date 1957 came from, perhaps Charlie misheard '1967' ! It's academic in anycase.

Attachments

Reactions: JDA

jespo

Reaction score
Welcome rovingkev!!
Good eye!! Never noticed those two attributes... and I own that book. :)

Maybe the spurs are not Gretsch after all... and the label is in the right spot. The bass drum claws also indicate it's an early 60's kit.

Regardless... all this data is what makes Charlie's kit so mysterious. :)

jespo

Reaction score
Show us your Charlie Watts tribute kit!
I'll go first...
Over the summer I was fortunate to purchase a CW tribute kit from Donn Bennett. (Thanks again Donn!)
She sounds just like the real deal too… nice mid-range punch with fast decay… just like Charlie’s. I couldn’t be more pleased with it!
Here's some more pics:
http://sdrv.ms/L4YAZX

Attachments

donnbennett

Reaction score
I always thought Charlie's set had to be later than 57 but there is no way in the world I was going to ever say anything to him about it!

jespo

Reaction score
LOL!!! I wouldn't either (given the opportunity of course). If Charlie says it's a 57.... then it's a 57. :)
donnbennett said:
I always thought Charlie's set had to be later than 57 but there is no way in the world I was going to ever say anything to him about it!

Archt

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks King T and Jonny and Donn for the very interesting stories and photos. Pulled out the vinyl of Tattoo You today and had an enjoyable time listening to some great songs and wonderful drumming. Charlie seems like a really cool guy.

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Archt said:
Thanks King T and Jonny and Donn for the very interesting stories and photos. Pulled out the vinyl of Tattoo You today and had an enjoyable time listening to some great songs and wonderful drumming. Charlie seems like a really cool guy.
You're welcome. He's the absolute coolest. And remember, the Gretsch kit he's using now (whatever year it is, '56 or '57) he's only been using since 1978, when he bought it after renting it. I say only as if 35 years isn't a long time! My point being, although we've seen and heard him play this kit live for the past 35 years, he made a lot of great and magical records on his other Gretsch kits, like black diamond RB kit from the '69 "Get Yer Ya Ya's Out" tour and the Black Nitron stop sign badge kit from the '72 "Exile On Main Street" tour… But he's made it clear to me this is his favorite kit.

GiantBeater

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The one on the right is the flat ride I recently bought but it is on the way to me. Who knows maybe I got lucky...

GiantBeater

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here is the top side. The amount of red tint gets me excited that it might be B8... the lathing lines look very similar to the pictures I have seen of Charlie's flat ride. Here is to hoping...

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Regarding the current kit...don't the Gretsch 6 ply have silver interiors, while the older 3 ply shells were clear? I believe some are under the impression that current kit is 3 ply. I know it's splitting hairs. Either way, far as I'm concerned, the best records were done with Ludwig and Gretsch 6 ply and all Avedis before the flat and china era.

plemon1

Reaction score
dontfeartheringo said:
I've ordered a stick bag from Glenn. I asked him if he still made the blonde bags and he said that the blonde bag started life as light brown and sun, use, time weathered it into that blonde color. He put his stick bag next to a bunch of new ones and sent me a photo, which I will now share with you:

sb1.jpg

sb2.jpg

So, Charlie's bag (and Glenn's personal one, btw) started life as the lighter brown of the four new bags there. It aged into that butterscotch color over 30+ years.

I very, very nearly ordered that bag, but decided to go with the darker chocolate brown bag instead.

I'll post photos when it gets here!
Whoa, I have a chocolate brown bag!! In '78 I started taking drum lessons, at the time, I only owned one pair of sticks and a practice pad, a guy from one of my classes in high school said, "I have an old stick bag that's full of sticks, you want it? $10 bucks." I jumped on the deal and have used it ever since.
Very cool thread, thanks for the posts and pics!

ron pangborn

Reaction score
Johnny D, loved your pics and stories. (replied to your blog by the way). Never get enough info about Charlie and his gear. Such a gracious man with fantastic taste in gear.....

jakriss

Reaction score
Thanks for the great thread. Sorry I missed this for the past 3 years. I have played Gretch, but still stuck on good Luddies. My p-red is now home in Florida. Pics of the final set up will be posted.

Thanks again for a great treat.

Rudi

Alquit

Reaction score
rovingkev said:
Hi, my first post on here - I'm a CRW nut from England.
Re, the age of Charlies set, I noticed in the pic taken from Jeff Nicholls book, if you look very closely, there appears to be what looks like a Gretsch label inside the bottom of the bass drum shell. That dates it post 1962 ?? It's also interesting to note that the spurs seem to have a plate inside the shell, for extra strength ?
It would be interesting to know where the date 1957 came from, perhaps Charlie misheard '1967' ! It's academic in anycase.
This Jeff Nichols says it's a 22" kick but I am pretty certain it is a 20" OnlY I've never seen a 22" with 8 lugs unless it was some cheap firewood drum.
Good for Charlie that he is still rocking and it's true all you need is some new heads now and again and a few new cymbals but drums last forever if they are taken care of and sound better with age.

Latest posts