Update on Charlie Watts and his Gretsch's

GiantBeater

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here are the stamps on my flat ride that just came. Anyone ever hear of a what I think reads, "Pro-Sonic"? This cymbal is shy of 20'' and is closer to 19''. This flat ride is B8 after all and I think is in the same blood line as Charlies. Interesting low/trashy thing going on but when the guitars are turned up stones style, you hear a clean stick sounds which is great!!

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
ron pangborn said:
Johnny D, loved your pics and stories. (replied to your blog by the way). Never get enough info about Charlie and his gear. Such a gracious man with fantastic taste in gear.....
Thanks Ron... I'm glad you enjoyed my blog... I'm with you (and everyone else here) - I can never get enough of Charlie's playing, or his gear, or the man himself... I just love the guy...

Bluenote

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the great story and pics!

How did the drums sound?

First locked-in memory of Charlie's drum sound is the primal-dark tone
of the rack on the intro of Paint It Black.

GiantBeater

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just picked up another flat ride! How about finding two awesome italian flat rides in one month. This one was found in the back of a London shop and to my eyes and ears, this 18'' B8 ride is even more similar to Charlie Watts' flat ride... but someone added rivets to mine which kind of sucks. The only ink logo on my ride reads, "18'' Flat." Check out this picture and here is the photo of mine on the left- https://soundcloud.com/7levelsstudios/vintage-18-b8-flat-ride-like-charlie-watts

troutstudio

Idealist
Reaction score
Saw him a week ago and loved it. The snare drum sound was fantastic. The cymbal choices for live (except for the hats) - not my cup of tea. But that's Charlie. One of a kind, that's for sure.

ToBBa

Reaction score
This thread is great! Thanks for all the cool info

robbie

Reaction score
View attachment 216180
jespo said:
Show us your Charlie Watts tribute kit!

I'm late but I'll play! First of all...great thread...I have much respect for Charlie - what a true gentleman and a class act. The only pic I have of my kit was taken of me playing live back a few months ago - cropped out as much of me as I could. The drums are Slingerland, not Gretsch, but the sizes and config are pretty similar (with the addition of the 14" floor tom) and the best part is that I got them back in 76, so they have been with me about as long as Charlie has had his. I also use a Speed King, which I didn't know was Charlie's favorite.
Anyway, I love this thread and have loved reading about this great man. Listening to "Sway" as I type...
Thank you for posting.

carl1969

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just checked out this thread, awesome pictures of one of my favorite drummers. (check out my new ludwigs)

drummerbill

DFO Master
Reaction score
dontfeartheringo said:
I've ordered a stick bag from Glenn. I asked him if he still made the blonde bags and he said that the blonde bag started life as light brown and sun, use, time weathered it into that blonde color. He put his stick bag next to a bunch of new ones and sent me a photo, which I will now share with you:

sb1.jpg

sb2.jpg

So, Charlie's bag (and Glenn's personal one, btw) started life as the lighter brown of the four new bags there. It aged into that butterscotch color over 30+ years.

I very, very nearly ordered that bag, but decided to go with the darker chocolate brown bag instead.

I'll post photos when it gets here!
Thanks, just sent Glenn an e-mail ! ;-)

jamsop

Reaction score
Like everyone else thank you so much for this info, I've searched high and low and get little snippets here and there but those close ups!!!!! would have paid for them thanks again keep it coming charlie the greatest!!

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
What a great thread this is!! You think about this: Charlie Watts could be an endorser for just about any new drums in the world.

Instead, he plays a 1950s Gretsch RB. Thats just awesome!!

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
JOE COOL said:
great pics...thanks for posting.

is ward wilson still doing work?
i googled him awhile back,nothing came up on him.

are you still doing refinishing work?
Saw this thread pop up again and saw this... Ward is still around but home in Chattanooga, I got an 18" Tosco/UFIP from him earlier this year.