Update: Pearl Jam Drummer Dave Krusen Plays First Paid Show in 31 Years

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Dave Krusen update in Post 19 ….

UPDATE: According to Ultimate Classic Rock, for the night's final song, fan Josh Arroyo was brought onstage to perform "Yellow Ledbetter." Pearl Jam had earlier asked fans to submit videos via their Ten Club for a chance to play with the band.

You can watch fan-filmed footage of Arroyo's performance below.

Read More: Josh Klinghoffer and Fan Fill in on Drums at Pearl Jam Concert | https://ultimateclassicrock.com/pea...f_fark&utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

This is why I always have drum sticks in my car ... in case the headlining band suddenly needs a drummer.

P.S.: They're scheduled to play again on this Friday the 13th. Tickets start at $103.

From Riff Magazine:

Pearl Jam overcomes drummer’s absence, teases Bridge School revival in Oakland​

OAKLAND — Pearl Jam finally made its way to Oakland on Thursday night, but it wasn’t exactly the show that most fans had been waiting patiently for—once again due to COVID-19.

As the show kicked off with a rollicking cover of Neil Young’s “Rockin’ In The Free World,” it was quickly apparent that drummer Matt Cameron was absent, and Eddie Vedder soon confirmed that the longtime member had fallen ill with COVID-19.

It was the first Pearl Jam show that Cameron had missed in more than two decades.

In his place, drumming duties were ably split by former Red Hot Chili Peppers guitarist and opening act Josh Klinghoffer (whom Vedder dubbed the “Shohei Otanhi of rock and roll” for his ability to handle multiple instruments) and longtime Jeff Ament collaborator (and Oakland resident) Richard Stuverud. The two traded turns at the drum kit throughout the night and seemed comfortable filling in on short notice.

This was a show more than two years in the making. Pearl Jam just started what was going to be a big year for them in 2020, releasing their latest record – and the first in seven (now nine) years – Gigaton, in March 2020.

Of course, that’s also the month the pandemic shutdowns started, halting PJ’s massive tour in support of what was their best album in more than a decade. The wave sputtered before they could build up any speed, although singer Eddie Vedder released a great solo record in February of this year, Earthling.

Now they’re back, fired up and making up for lost time. But frustratingly, the pandemic wasn’t finished messing with the band’s plans.

The band wasted no time revisiting its heyday with three songs off their first three albums (“Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town” from Vs., “Why Go” from Ten and “Corduroy” from Vitalogy) before introducing new material from Gigaton: the grinding “Quick Escape” and bouncy “Superblood Wolfmoon.”

Both of the new tracks fit well within the set and reinforced the contention that Pearl Jam’s latest effort might be its best in many years. Overall, Pearl Jam would only play one more new track, the mid-tempo “Seven O’Clock,” later in the set.

At one point, as Vedder waxed nostalgic about the now-defunct Bridge School Benefit concerts once hosted by Neil Young and the late Pegi Young, he may have let slip news of a revival.

“I hope to see you again the next time we’re getting to play The Bridge School,” he said to a confused reaction from the audience. “I hear rumors, good ones,” he mysteriously continued.

Last edited:

Lt. Frank Drebin

Reaction score
@ 6:55 - There was something satisfying about hearing Vedder read the list of drummers on Arryo's shirt. Kinda like those previous drummers were given recognition by Vedder / reminded Vedder of the previous drummers.

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I will still rank Dave Abbruzzese at the bottom. Nice guy but just not the drummer the band needed. Arroyo did a heckuva job.

Trilock_Gurtu

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I will still rank Dave Abbruzzese at the bottom. Nice guy but just not the drummer the band needed. Arroyo did a heckuva job.
I'm completely the opposite. I remember seeing PJ on the Ten tour, before they blew up. A fellow drummer friend's band opened up for them, and Dave just joined the group. Just an incredible drummer, blew everyone away. Imo, Dave was just too good for PJ, not the other way around. PJ without Dave sounds so limp to me, like a Promise Keepers meeting. I love Cameron too, but he's just so much better in Soundgarden. Arroyo sounded like a timid Dad in his man cave. Great memory for him, I'm sure.

Lt. Frank Drebin

Reaction score
I'm completely the opposite. I remember seeing PJ on the Ten tour, before they blew up. A fellow drummer friend's band opened up for them, and Dave just joined the group. Just an incredible drummer, blew everyone away. Imo, Dave was just too good for PJ, not the other way around. PJ without Dave sounds so limp to me, like a Promise Keepers meeting. I love Cameron too, but he's just so much better in Soundgarden. Arroyo sounded like a timid Dad in his man cave. Great memory for him, I'm sure.
I agree 100%. Abbruzzese was perfect for PJ - at the time at least, before PJ's sound really evolved. Cameron was awesome in Soundgarden and Temple Of The Dog, but not in PJ. The only PJ song I think Cameron killed it in was 'Evacuation', but that's because Cameron wrote it and has an early '90s Soundgarden sound. Arroyo would not cut it for PJ playing like that. One of my pet peeves is adding too many unnecessary fills/overplaying crashes and tapping crashes like that. Either add the accent or not at all.

Lt. Frank Drebin

Reaction score
Yes, absolutely. Dave Krusen's work on Ten was good, Dave put a less refined version to emulate it. I thought Jack Irons was a better fit but Matt Cameron is just a better all around drummer.
Krusen's work got the job done, but he was no-frills. For example - compare the album version of 'EvenFlow" (Krusen) to the re-released version that is in the video (Abbruzzese). Are you sure you aren't confusing the two Daves?

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Krusen's work got the job done, but he was no-frills. For example - compare the album version of 'EvenFlow" (Krusen) to the re-released version that is in the video (Abbruzzese). Are you sure you aren't confusing the two Daves?

My enjoyment of different drummers doesn’t minimize your enjoyment. Can we not enjoy different drummers?

Lt. Frank Drebin

Reaction score
My enjoyment of different drummers doesn’t minimize your enjoyment. Can we not enjoy different drummers?
To each their own. Different strokes for different folks. Personally, I don't think Ringo Starr is anyone to get excited over, but some do. I've been (and still am) castigated for not being on the Ringo bandwagon, but I'm sorry - I just don't get it.

Lt. Frank Drebin

Reaction score
What I find interesting about early PJ is that three songs off their debut album Ten that were released with a video each featured a different drummer, so you get a taste of how three different drummers handled songs from one album. The 'Alive ' re-recording and video features Matt Chamberlain; the 'Even Flow' re-recording and video features Dave Abbruzzese; the 'Jeremy' video has the album version of the song with Krusen.

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
On Friday, Pearl Jam called a high school kid up on stage to do "Mind Your Manners." IMHO, better than Dave Abbruzzese.

LOL.. ummm.. Nah ! .. but he is keeping the beat like any good high school student !!

Lt. Frank Drebin

Reaction score
On Friday, Pearl Jam called a high school kid up on stage to do "Mind Your Manners." IMHO, better than Dave Abbruzzese.

What a f'n honor that has to be to play with one of your favorite bands live on-stage in a filled stadium! Better than Abbruzzese? You can't compare this kid to Abbruzzese through this song. Who knows how Abbruzzese would have played it. But this kid killed it! Awesome.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Good to see everybody getting along in Pearl Jam world. From Farout Magazine:

Dave Krusen, Pearl Jam’s original drummer, has reunited with the band for his first concert with the group since May 25th, 1991.

The band’s current drummer, Matt Cameron, is still unable to tour due to Covid-19. Krusen is the latest drummer to fill in for Cameron, performing all but two of the songs from Pearl Jam’s debut album, Ten, live in Fresno, California.

spaeth

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Would love to see them with Krusen. I really love Dave A’s playing on Unplugged. I don’t know if it is his doing but all of the older seems rushed and loses its thick old school groove when they play it with Matt Cameron. Love his playing with with a band that needs pushing like Soundgarden. Not my favorite with Pj but an amazing talented drummer.