Update: Pearl Jam Drummer Dave Krusen Plays First Paid Show in 31 Years

davezedlee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I will still rank Dave Abbruzzese at the bottom. Nice guy but just not the drummer the band needed. Arroyo did a heckuva job.
DA had a great sense of drama and could really build a song up, but near the end he was all too show-y... all the hair-tossing and overdone left-hand "flourishes" really undermined PJ's move into "serious artistes" mode

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
DA had a great sense of drama and could really build a song up, but near the end he was all too show-y... all the hair-tossing and overdone left-hand "flourishes" really undermined PJ's move into "serious artistes" mode

It was when they became "serious artistes" that they lost me.

Jay-Dee

Reaction score
Good to see everybody getting along in Pearl Jam world. From Farout Magazine:

Dave Krusen, Pearl Jam’s original drummer, has reunited with the band for his first concert with the group since May 25th, 1991.

The band’s current drummer, Matt Cameron, is still unable to tour due to Covid-19. Krusen is the latest drummer to fill in for Cameron, performing all but two of the songs from Pearl Jam’s debut album, Ten, live in Fresno, California.

It's cool to see that, Dave Krusen's playing on Ten is spot on for their songs. It's a real shame he didn't work out with the band for more than one album.

I loved playing (maybe trying to play) Evenflow in our band in the nineties, and I still love it today, a great song and drum part (and album).

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I thought the playing on the Ten album was a masterpiece. Everything after is just decent. Dave Krusen really fit the band.
Matt Cameron is an amazing player………..In Soundgarden. I just never thought he was a great fit for PJ. He’s obviously got the chair for keeps though.

This exactly. I'm not a PJ fan by any real stretch but I love the drumming on Ten. I'm one of those guys that was pretty confused at first because all the videos came out with mostly Dave A, and I later found out that it was a Dave K that played that album. I liked Dave A too and kind of thought he got a raw deal with those guys. I grew up in the 80's where all my favorite bands were happy to be on stage and it looked like being in a band was the life to be had. Bands like PJ and Nirvana did not appeal to me much as they all seemed to complain about being famous and both of those bands sounded pretty sloppy to me in a live setting. Nirvana especially sounded horrible live but lots of people loved them so what do I know? I thought both bands had good sounding albums though.

Dave K went on to play with Candlebox and I thought he sounded great with them too. His drum sound records really well and he is a very solid player.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Good to see everybody getting along in Pearl Jam world. From Farout Magazine:

Dave Krusen, Pearl Jam’s original drummer, has reunited with the band for his first concert with the group since May 25th, 1991.

The band’s current drummer, Matt Cameron, is still unable to tour due to Covid-19. Krusen is the latest drummer to fill in for Cameron, performing all but two of the songs from Pearl Jam’s debut album, Ten, live in Fresno, California.

I just watched this video and dave K sounds great with the band. In fact this songs sounds just like the album and they all sound good.

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Dave K went on to play with Candlebox and I thought he sounded great with them too. His drum sound records really well and he is a very solid pl
Dave K also was in the short-lived "Unified Theory" with the Blind Mellon guys after Shannon Hoon died.

mydadisjr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I really dug PEARL JAM when Ten came out... Even Flow, Jeremy, Alive... them guys really rocked.

Then they changed their name to the EDDIE VEDDER EXPERIENCE and I lost interest...

1759e7b1dd6810cf9179df062187018d.jpg