UPDATED Strange FIBES Finish

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have two thoughts (both suspecting its not).
1. Could someone have done something like that to one of their metalic wraps?
2. REMO had some prismatic finishes. It reminds me of that.

I've never seen anything like it on another Fibes kit....and judging by the tom mount I don't think that's original (that's an older kit...pre

rikkrebs

DFO Master
Reaction score
I thought they were a rewrap when I went to see them. However, the seems are tight and the inlay looks factory. This one has me scratching my head.

davezedlee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
if the job looks like it was done by a nine-year-old with the heads off, then it WAS a factory job

"tight seams" seem to be beyond the scope of abilities back in the day, so if it looks like a "good job", its probably not original

W&A Player

DFO Master
Reaction score
if the job looks like it was done by a nine-year-old with the heads off, then it WAS a factory job

"tight seams" seem to be beyond the scope of abilities back in the day, so if it looks like a "good job", its probably not original
OUCH!

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hmmm....I have no clue about Fibes drums. Does the wrap appear the proper thickness at the seam? Meaning, it is not super thin like a foil tape? Is it a full wrap and not, let's say, a bunch of 2" tape wrapped over itself?

I have seen many eBay sellers that sell similar prism tapes in various widths and colors, such as square gold as pictured.
I suppose if they bought this, in 14-16" width, they could "rewrap" the entire kit using one large piece. Thus, I'd check the seam for thickness. Other than that, I've never seen any drum with that finish before and have no other ideas, but I am interested to find out......

trixonian

DFO Master
Reaction score
I covered a set in stuff that looked like exactly that. It was very thin like the sparklebrite product from a ways back. I'd be shocked if that is a "real" wrap.

RickTriesToPlayDrums

Reaction score
Just to offer up the benefit of the doubt; drum companies are notorious for using factory materials that may be lying around but, I'd have to guess a re-wrap. The litmus test: check the vent hole grommets for signs of tampering?

Last edited:

rikkrebs

DFO Master
Reaction score
Once I got a closer look at them I found out they were a rewrap.......and Kind of a poor one once I got the heads off. I'll let you all know what lurks underneath this weekend.

tmc333

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nice little’s find on the butcher block Fibes. What size bass drum is that? Does it look like it has the reinforcement rings along the inner edge?

rikkrebs

DFO Master
Reaction score
Nice little’s find on the butcher block Fibes. What size bass drum is that? Does it look like it has the reinforcement rings along the inner edge?
22, 12,13,16.

No reinforcement rings. The 13 has a Slingerland bottom hoop.

Last edited:

Latest posts